Page 37 of 65 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: The Official Indian Politics Thread

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Looking in from the outside, Modi seems like what I would imagine a bollywood villian to act like if he was a politician in India.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 27-12-2013 at 07:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    ****ing love this man. Where's your average tracker now OS?

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    ****ing love this man. Where's your average tracker now OS?
    Haha

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Oops

Simon Champion!

Huge crowd in Delhi today at the swearing in. And this was the real thing with everybody coming on their own. Not a PR paid for event or people brought in trucks/Buses with food coupons etc..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cevno; 28-12-2013 at 04:54 PM.

Simon Champion!
    Last edited by Cevno; 28-12-2013 at 01:30 PM.

Banned
    somebody was saying earlier that Aam Aadmi party would soon become the ameer aadmi party

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    somebody was saying earlier that Aam Aadmi party would soon become the ameer aadmi party
    that was me...i hope i am proved wrong but i can't help being cynical about it all...politics is not about public service whatever the definitions say, it is and has always been about power...which is the surest path to corruption...
    Last edited by Anil; 29-12-2013 at 04:57 PM.
    smalishah84 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    very very close friend of mine is an Arab Christian and he speaks Arabic too and the visible hidden filth shows the mentality which may never change .....
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    AAooouchh !!!!!
    I still remember that zipper accident of mine when I was in kindergarten ..... (Thing is OK I repeat thing is OK now )!!!

In a democracy, what are your other options though?

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    In a democracy, what are your other options though?
    agreed...all I am saying is that I have seen politicians in the "incorruptible" bandwagon before...they have either transformed themselves into the run-of-the-mill types to survive or just faded away...so I will wait and watch what this new "savior" does...

International Debutant ganeshran's Avatar
    I only wish the United States's quest for human rights was the same when it affects citizens from other countries. e.g. the families of the people that Raymond Davis gunned down in broad daylight, or the families of the civilians bombed in drone attacks, or the diplomat who kept an Ethiopian women as a slave, or the US diplomat who ran over 2 people in Pakistan, or 1 women in Kenya. None of these people were ever convicted of a crime.

The fact that the US takes a moral high ground despite murdering hundreds of thousands of civilians in Afghanistan and Iraq is astonishingly hypocritical.
    Get well soon Yuvi!!

Yea sometimes I dislike what my country does, as I'm sure you sometimes dislike what India does judicially. That's neither here nor there. You can't say one bad thing is ok because someone else did another bad thing and got away unfairly. "Hey don't prosecute me for murder because person x got away with stealing." What matters is if there was a crime committed, and if so, if that crime justified the response (both morally and legally). I believe, based on what we know, that there was, and that the response was justified.

If you want to argue that the US justice system isn't perfect and has different standards for different people (eg discrepancy in arrests and sentencing based on socioeconomic status, the wildly different quality of lawyers, the very annoying appeals system, the non prosecution of white collar crimes, and a thousand more things), I'm right there with you. And I'll be the first to say that it needs change. Again, not particularly relevant here because in this case, the US does in fact have the moral high ground.

Just because other people have gotten away with crimes elsewhere in the world means the New York attorney's office should just shrug its shoulder and let crimes happen under its jurisdiction?

The fact that some official threatened to deny benefits to same sex partners of US diplomats while the US is trying to prosecute a woman for paying a slave wage perfectly illustrates where the two countries are on this issue, morally speaking.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 31-12-2013 at 04:06 AM.
    Fusion likes this.

International Debutant ganeshran's Avatar
    I wasnt talking about this case alone. The problem is that the US claims moral high ground every time- it is the distorted view of the nation being a protector of freedom and human rights that is fed to the American public which laps it up. It is the holier-than-thou attitude which I was objecting to.

The attorney was outraged that the crime happened on the US soil of a maid being paid less and how possibly the State government could turn a blind eye to such blatant human rights violations. However, the same US administration was silent when a US embassy official who enjoyed no diplomatic immunity gunned down two people and then a rescue vehicle ran over a third person. This was a much more serious crime than an employee being underpaid which was also atrocious on the part of the diplomat btw, but the US ensured Davis was let off and escaped without punishment.

When this is seen in context, the drone strikes, frequent military interventions in other sovereign countries, Nuclear bombs, secret prisons run by CIA, Gitmo, indiscriminate NSA snooping, the United States has been one on the biggest culprits when it comes to violating human liberties in the post WW-2 era. Of course, there are far worse regimes in the world, but none that possess anything even close to the military muscle that the US has.

Page 37 of 65 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread Information