Page 28 of 69 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: The Official Indian Politics Thread

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    the Indian Rupee has been sliding like crazy this year. The Indian economy is getting sluggish as well. I am guessing the biggest reason is governance? I was thinking that probably the Pakistani politicians were the biggest crooks going around but the Indians are not too far behind it seems. Also the anti-Pakistan rhetoric seems like a ploy to channel away some of the domestic heat.

Elections are coming up next year. Is the Sonia Gandhi led congress expected to return?
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    the Indian Rupee has been sliding like crazy this year. The Indian economy is getting sluggish as well. I am guessing the biggest reason is governance? I was thinking that probably the Pakistani politicians were the biggest crooks going around but the Indians are not too far behind it seems. Also the anti-Pakistan rhetoric seems like a ploy to channel away some of the domestic heat.

Elections are coming up next year. Is the Sonia Gandhi led congress expected to return?
    And if this govt is re-elected then can reforms be expected? (This congress govt's only aim to see through the remaining 9 months seems to be more rent seeking I would venture, much like the last PPP govt in Pakistan)

the Indian Rupee has been sliding like crazy this year. The Indian economy is getting sluggish as well. I am guessing the biggest reason is governance? I was thinking that probably the Pakistani politicians were the biggest crooks going around but the Indians are not too far behind it seems.
    Couple of things I guess. US fed announced reducing the quantitative easing which has meant that there are fewer $$ chasing emerging markets in general. Governance and policy are of course is a big factor too. What we did with taxation on Vodafone - Hutch deal is the kind of thing that doesn't do good in branding India as an investment destination (And I suspect there were vested interests there. The tax amount was small compared to national revenue but a big setback to Vodafone).

Fiscal position is looking worse considering slowing economy. We cannot continue to run the same level of deficit if growth is going to be in 4-5% range. Yet, government is not going to stop its populist programs in pre-election year. So it's doom and gloom until the next election IMO when the next government is forced to take decisive measures. The political instability expected in next year's election is affecting the investment sentiment in general.

Also the anti-Pakistan rhetoric seems like a ploy to channel away some of the domestic heat.
    Not at all. The government is actually being quite 'soft' and trying to underplay what happened at the border (which by the way makes us furious. 5 armymen killed inside of our border and we get nothing but plain denial from Pakistan).

We hope not, although Modi as an alternative is not someone I am fully comfortable with.

Quote Originally Posted by 8ankitj View Post
    US fed announced reducing the quantitative easing which has meant that there are fewer $$ chasing emerging markets in general.
    Nail, head. The risk adjusted returns just don't look so good anymore.

Not at all. The government is actually being quite 'soft' and trying to underplay what happened at the border (which by the way makes us furious. 5 armymen killed inside of our border and we get nothing but plain denial from Pakistan).

The indian military has been replying in kind though. Does that kind of news ever reach the Indian masses?

I honestly feel that the Pakistani media (in general), does a much more critical analysis of its government than does the indian media.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Haha
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Simon Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaggas View Post
    Nail, head. The risk adjusted returns just don't look so good anymore.
    While that is true, India has been doing worse than almost all comparable countries across parameters.

The current government led by a Economist ironically, has mismanaged the economy to ridiculous degrees.

We may even have to go back to the IMF and World Bank given the ever increasing current account deficit and the large debt that has to be repaid next year. Even Indian business houses are pumping money abroad more.

Hopefully next elections brings more stability and a better leadership. Looks grim though.

Simon Champion!

We hope not, although Modi as an alternative is not someone I am fully comfortable with.
    I am the same and will vote AAP probably just to send a symbolic message if anything.

But better Modi than this lot again. UPA 2 is right up there with worst governments ever in the country across almost all parameters. Probably the most corrupt too including UPA 1.

Atleast BJP under Vajpayee had a clear and decisive economic and infrastructure vision. Modi has some good ideas on this front atleast and won't ever get the majority needed to get the more radical hindutva ideas through.

And frankly, Rahul Gandhi is dumb from what we've seen so far.

Simon Champion!
    The indian military has been replying in kind though. Does that kind of news ever reach the Indian masses?

I honestly feel that the Pakistani media (in general), does a much more critical analysis of its government than does the indian media.
    Indian media has been pretty restrained in the reporting this time.

But the government has seeked to underplay the incident which was largely unprovoked when 5 Army men were killed while sleeping by men coming across the LOC.

After that the Indian army responded and there's been lots of firing on each side. Guess, tensions could escalate further but it wasn't the Indian military that started it all when 20/25 men came across the LOC in Pak army uniform to kill 5 army men.

Simon Champion!

Indian media has been pretty restrained in the reporting this time unlike last time.

But the government has seeked to underplay the incident which was largely unprovoked when 5 Army men were killed while sleeping by men coming across the LOC.

After that the Indian army responded and there's been lots of firing on each side. Guess, tensions could escalate further but it wasn't the Indian military that started it all when 20/25 men came across the LOC in Pak army uniform to kill 5 army men.

Also the anti-Pakistan rhetoric seems like a ploy to channel away some of the domestic heat.

Anti Pakistan rhetoric helps the opposition more than the current establishment, unless they are planning on going on war or something. So not sure why they would use it as a ploy anyway. Given the concessions they have made at Sharmal sheikh it just gives the opposition and Modi another avenue to attack them for being soft and what not on Pakistan. Especially when it becomes a emotive issue with the right wing parties.

Quote Originally Posted by Cevno View Post
    Indian media has been pretty restrained in the reporting this time.

There have been some ridiculous statements coming from the Indian Defence minister. Stuff like "it is now clear that Pak army regulars were involved in the attack on the indian post." How has it become clear?

Secondly the Indian response has caused a fair number of civilian (as well as military casualties) so the Indian response has been quite hard hitting.

What are the sharm al sheik concessions?
    Last edited by smalishah84; 23-08-2013 at 03:27 AM.

Simon Champion!

Anti Pakistan rhetoric helps the opposition more than the current establishment, unless they are planning on going on war or something. So not sure why they would use it as a ploy anyway. Given the concessions they have made at Sharmal sheikh it just gives the opposition and Modi another avenue to attack them for being soft and what not on Pakistan. Especially when it becomes a emotive issue with the right wing parties.

Edit - Multi quote fail. urghghg.

Simon Champion!
    There have been some ridiculous statements coming from the Indian Defence minister. Stuff like "it is now clear that Pak army regulars were involved in the attack on the indian post." How has it become clear?
    Well, these things can never be proven conclusively unless you catch someone as it was a quick hit and flee attack but it was based on military intelligence.

He was caught by the opposition in a tough spot after initially making a ambivalent statement which went against the military input to some degree. Parliament was on and stalled because of this with BJP asking for his resignation or something so he clarified with a stronger statement based on the military intelligence.

There were 20-25 men dressed in army uniform anyway. Very unlikely that they crossed over without any of the Pak army knowing. Whether it was a local unit who did it or the establishment gave permission is still up for debate.

Secondly the Indian response has caused a fair number of civilian (as well as military casualties) so the Indian response has been quite hard hitting.
    Tensions have escalated from both sides from what has been reported on either side and firing and cross firing has increased daily. Guess, this time there has been a bigger response militarily compared to last time whether it is well thought out or not remains to be seen and ascertained.

Whole situation is unfortunate really.

What are the sharm al sheik concessions?
    My Opinion | Arun Jaitley

This article above covers most things. Though probably exaggerated as it is by the Leader of opposition in Rajya Sabha.

But Manmohan Singh has really been committed to pushing the peace process with Pakistan. Even going over his Party at times.

Simon Champion!
    There was talk of real agreement on Sir Creek and other more minor issues too, but opposition pressure pushed it back plus Pakistan government itself was coming to its end.

Simon Champion!
    And if this govt is re-elected then can reforms be expected? (This congress govt's only aim to see through the remaining 9 months seems to be more rent seeking I would venture, much like the last PPP govt in Pakistan)
    Not likely at all. They are pretty happy with status quo and think they are default party of power in India and can rent seek all they want. Doing all sorts of things to stay in power.

Haven't even passed Lokpal the scums and want to dilute the one good thing they did with the RTI.

Is the forum working wickedly for me only ?

Page 28 of 69 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread Information