Page 24 of 52 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: The Official Indian Politics Thread

Mercy, fairness, and the death penalty in India

An excellent blog piece analyzing the death penalty in general in India and Kasab's case in specific. I'm against the death penalty and my top reason for it can be summed up by this quote that the author cites:

"I have yet to see a death case among the dozen coming to the Supreme Court on eve-of-execution stay applications in which the defendant was well represented at trial… People who are well represented at trial do not get the death penalty.” — Ruth Bader Ginsburg, U.S. Supreme Court Justice

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    There was something like that in my home city too I think, at MS University in Baroda. While back.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Simon Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    Mercy, fairness, and the death penalty in India

An excellent blog piece analyzing the death penalty in general in India and Kasab's case in specific. I'm against the death penalty and my top reason for it can be summed up by this quote that the author cites:

"I have yet to see a death case among the dozen coming to the Supreme Court on eve-of-execution stay applications in which the defendant was well represented at trial… People who are well represented at trial do not get the death penalty.” — Ruth Bader Ginsburg, U.S. Supreme Court Justice
    Lot of half truths or exaggerations in that article tbh. Some factual inaccuracies too.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Well in many countries (I don't know the stats in India), the death penalty is given out disproportionately to poor and/or minority populations, compared to the same crimes committed by others.

It's not all that common in India in the first place. I personally would oppose it for anything except murder. I would instinctively oppose it for murder too, though I would be open to changing my mind, if it was applied fairly.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 06-02-2013 at 01:25 AM.

Simon Champion!
    In India it is applied in rarest of rare cases only where there is huge cruelty in certain offences according to set parameters by Supreme Court. But in the end it depends on the judge doing the sentencing to a large degree.

Kasab was given a top lawyer by the Supreme court in Raju Ramachandran too. The 13 cases that were reviewed were reduced to life sentence because it didn't fall into set parameters according to the present judges. No one was let go.

The problem though is with life sentence in India being 14 years and with terrorist potentially needing huge security (Crores were spent on keeping Kasab in jail due to security needs). Then there is a case of parole to such prisoners being misused, especially if they have links.

Also, IC814 type hijackings or Mufti type kidnappings to get people released can be encouraged if Terrorists are kept in Jail instead of being given death.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    ^awta, death penalty is fine if applied fairly
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Simon Champion!

Simon Champion!
    Simon Denyer ‏@simondenyer

Modi comes. Elections loom. Afzal Guru hangs. Connected?

Simon Champion!

Narendra Modi wants a nation-wide ban on cow slaughter with a seven year sentence attached. Absolute lunacy.

Such a law has already been passed in Gujarat in 2011. He, for those not playing at home, is a probable for being the next Prime Minister of the country, ftr.

My head hurts a little.
    Isn’t it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? – Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    Narendra Modi wants a nation-wide ban on cow slaughter with a seven year sentence attached. Absolute lunacy.

Such a law has already been passed in Gujarat in 2011. He, for those not playing at home, is a probable for being the next Prime Minister of the country, ftr.

My head hurts a little.
    Modi's a strange one... he has the capacity to make bone-headed, lunatic decisions on occasion, but trust me, he's a superb administrator. Having been in Gujarat for 2 decades, ive seen the growth thats happened in his tenure.... its quite astonishing.
    Dont know if he's fit for the post of PM, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Satyanash89 View Post
    Modi's a strange one... he has the capacity to make bone-headed, lunatic decisions on occasion, but trust me, he's a superb administrator. Having been in Gujarat for 2 decades, ive seen the growth thats happened in his tenure.... its quite astonishing.
    Dont know if he's fit for the post of PM, though.
    Yeah, I rate Modi as an administrator but have some strong reservations against him. Apart from a few ministers, I don't rate the congress at all and the entire Madam culture disgusts me. I was on CW calling for Arvind Kejriwal to get the Bharat Ratna a couple of years ago for his work on RTI but after actually seeing him in political action for six months or so, He seems more suited for opportunism and revolution than circumspection and stability.

I don't think I'm voting, basically. I know rationally speaking, it should not stop me but I'm put off from voting for the major two parties because the majority of their votebase vote for them for the wrong reasons.
    Last edited by Teja.; 09-02-2013 at 11:04 PM.

Simon Champion!
    I'm voting for Kejriwal and AAP, if for nothing to send a symbolic message and giving them credence as a pressure group.

Second choice would be Modi or BJP, but i'm far from convinced.

Simon Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    Yeah, I rate Modi as an administrator but have some strong reservations against him. Apart from a few ministers, I don't rate the congress at all and the entire Madam culture disgusts me. I was on CW calling for Arvind Kejriwal to get the Bharat Ratna a couple of years ago for his work on RTI but after actually seeing him in political action for six months or so, He seems more suited for opportunism and revolution than circumspection and stability.

I don't think I'm voting, basically. I know rationally speaking, it should not stop me but I'm put off from voting for the major two parties because the majority of their votebase vote for them for the wrong reasons.
    Why, btw ? That's nature of politics tbh.

He is having a tough time trying to adapt going from Activist to Politician but their are some good adminstrators in their team and all generally well intentioned people. Both the leader and the team is important for me. Also, the structure they are trying to put in place to internally democratize the newly formed party is impressive and unlike most other parties.
    Last edited by Cevno; 09-02-2013 at 11:47 PM.

Page 24 of 52 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread Information