Page 22 of 73 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: The Official Indian Politics Thread

Simon Champion!

Cover of Open Magazine.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    haha....that is an awesome cover
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Simon Champion!
    Chautala jail term a message to society: Court - The Times of India

Teachers' recruitment scam: Om Prakash Chautala, son get 10 years in jail - Times Of India

Why Chautala is in jail: All you need to know about JBT scam | Firstpost

Former CM of Haryana Om Prakash Chautala and his son jailed for 10 years. They'll probably appeal and get bail for a while but finally some active politician is brought to book.

Evidence suggests LeT / SIMI involved in Samjhauta attack.

True lies of Sushil Kumar Shinde - The New Indian Express

Shinde hang your head in shame. With one politically motivated comment you have put the investigation of these attacks in jeopardy. And how easy you made for the Pakistan based terrorists to carry out an attack and see Indians blame Indians.

Simon Champion!
    Poll says NDA will win elections, Modi most suitable as PM | Firstpost

UPA-2 popularity depletes fast; Modi leaves Rahul far behind as desired PM, finds India Today survey : North, News - India Today

2 surveys. Interesting findings.

Obviously surveys in India can be dodgy business but the Mood in the Cities is pretty clear and the other pan India one is also reflecting that.

Is that a survey of internet users?

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Counter article by the same paper basically saying India is ok for females if you use common sense when travelling:

Women travelling in India alone | Tips on how to stay safe

Simon Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by 8ankitj View Post
    Is that a survey of internet users?
    Nope. Ground opinion poll.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Counter article by the same paper basically saying India is ok for females if you use common sense when travelling:

Women travelling in India alone | Tips on how to stay safe
    Completely anecdotal so I am not presenting this as some kind of evidence but whenever we go back, my sister can't really travel alone without being harrased one way or another. This was especially worse when she was a teenager and wore shorts and such - it was embarrassing. Obviously I was young when I left India but it was still a little shocking how much they got harassed. And she looks Indian. I suspect it'd be much worse for girls who can't fit in as easily.

But that's again, my experience. I don't know of any widespread surveys/studies done on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Disappointing to hear.

Lot of stuff being attributed to the fact movies/media portray white women as "up for it" or "easy".

These dudes who grab at free will need to both (a) get educated asap, and (b) get the **** kicked out of them imo.

Been reading comments on those two articles posted by Jono. I myself did not think India was that unsafe before the Delhi incident. I mean I have ever known only one incident of sexual assault involving people I personally know. That was a groping incident in college campus. That's all for my entire life. That clearly means that nearly all women keep these things to themselves (it's shattering to know that they live with these horror stories). It only become obvious when after the Delhi incident, a lot of personal experiences were shared by ordinary women on internet and on TV.
    Last edited by ankitj; 25-01-2013 at 04:49 AM.

Just watched a talk show on NDTV with couple of members of the Justice Verma report. Have to say that it's quite exemplary that the report was tabled 24 hours before the initially allotted 30 days timeline. The team wanted to make a statement here, and they have succeeded. Many of the suggestions are quite revolutionary, only hope that our government shows similar sense of urgency in implementing the recommendations.

Link to the talk show: Will the govt act on Justice Verma panel report? Video: NDTV.com
    Last edited by ankitj; 27-01-2013 at 12:59 PM.

Simon Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by 8ankitj View Post
    Just watched a talk show on NDTV with couple of members of the Justice Verma report. Have to say that it's quite exemplary that the report was tabled 24 hours before the initially allotted 30 days timeline. The team wanted to make a statement here, and they have succeeded. Many of the suggestions are quite revolutionary, only hope that our government shows similar sense of urgency in implementing the recommendations.

Link to the talk show: Will the govt act on Justice Verma panel report? Video: NDTV.com
    Yeah, it's a good report and pretty good that they did it within timeframe.

They have left out some important aspects like Judicial. Police reforms and changes to Juvenile Justice act though. Guess the first 2 weren't their remit and their thinking is a bit leftist WRT to the third one.

Hopefully, it is implemented. At least the non controversial aspects but still pessimistic.

Meanwhile -

The Hindu : News / National :

Juvenile Justice Board declares sixth Delhi rape accused juvenile | Firstpost

Hopefully they find another way outside of it, because that guy surely can't get away due to being 5/6 months below 18.

Yeah, that decision on the juvenile is disappointing. I don't know the law but if it is completely inflexible, it is really dumb. There are some over intellectualized arguments in favour of the juvenile act, which I find totally ridiculous. You can't escape any responsibilities of your acts just because you are a few months short of 18. There has to be some room for discretion from judges. I mean which of these wannabe liberals are going to offer a job to this juvenile after he serves his 3 years 'rehabilitation' as a driver or a domestic help? Which of them is going to trust him to pick up their daughters from airport? Yet, he is totally likely to land such a job given that his identity is going to be protected for being less than 18 years. Some times we should just take the side of common sense.

While I am ranting, I also want to express my exasperation over some of the arguments against death penalty for rarest of rare crimes. In one of the talk shows the same gent or lady made two arguments: one, death penalty is not a deterrent, two, fear of death penalty could lead the criminal to kill the victim to remove evidence. Well, if death penalty is not any greater deterrence than a life term, than why the criminal will try harder to remove evidence for fear of death penalty? There might be good arguments for not having death penalty but these are among them IMO.

Simon Champion!
    As per this Wiki article, there are more roads in The Netherlands named after Mahatma Gandhi than those in India List of roads named after Mahatma Gandhi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ….

It's the inheritors of his legacy, who have more roads here.

Page 22 of 73 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast

Thread Information