Page 16 of 52 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: The Official Indian Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Cevno View Post
    And it's begun -

Rapper Honey Singh's New Year concert cancelled by hotel after online campaign | NDTV.com

Gurgaon hotel cancels rapper Honey Singh's show over lewd lyrics, FIR filed in Lucknow - India - IBNLive

Yeah, some of the lyrics of his songs are crass and extremely denigrating but this is such a predictable and stupid response.

And once you start going down this slope, where do you stop ? It's a slippery slope as they say.

The weird thing is that it was the so called Liberal brigade on Social media and even the mainstream media that was advocating this along with several other steps in the entertainment sphere. Liberal Fascism eh?
    This is how modern media operates - go for the low hanging fruit, inflame the seething masses for a short while then disappear when people eventually tire themselves out.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    It's not a coincidence that actually the countries where women have the fewest rights are those with the harshest punishment for rape (often death), and with the most restrictions on speech like that.

I'm not saying it's a causative relationship, but the cultures that tend to view those things as good ideas also tend to be much more repressive of women. There's a controversial theory in feminism (not one that I fully agree with, but pointing it out for discussion) that states that by treating rape as a crime on par with murder actually does more harm to women and increases their shame - by making them feel like if a woman is nothing without her ability to have sex. Basically it's saying that if you lose your 'honor', you might as well be dead (because that's how the law will treat the crime) because that's what you are defined by.

I am certainly not advocating less restrictive punishment for rape but one of the things that absolutely has to happen for real change to occur is the shame has to be removed from the victim. If I go outside and get assaulted, there is very little shame for me. On the other hand, especially in places like India, there is a tremendous amount of shame associated with having been raped. Even when the victim isn't blamed directly, her life can often be ruined beyond repair. Aside from the emotional and physical trauma of the rape itself (which can be long lasting and substantial), the girl often has trouble getting married in the future, and her parents and her whole family is shamed in many ways.

Speaking purely anecdotally, I asked several people around my family (all of whom were outraged about the rape) if they would be OK with an arranged marriage to a woman who has been raped, and they all said they wouldn't, or at least be extremely hesitant. That to me is a problem that's comparatively much more serious than the relatively minor issue of what some guy says in his lyrics.
    That's a very good point. What's the punishment in Singapore for sexual assaults? They have overall very tough punishments, yet a progressive and liberal country in general. Just a counter example, but I do think the point you made is quite compelling.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    For rape, its a maximum of 20 years plus caning per Wikipedia. On the other hand, as far as I can tell, marital rape is still legal there.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Delhi gang-rape case: Grieving family says marriage report 'baseless' - The Times of India

The minute the report about the "relationship" between the boy and the girl came out, I suspected it was made up. Why does media have to speculate about the nature of relationship between them? They really should have kept that out. It doesn't matter.
    Last edited by ankitj; 01-01-2013 at 01:29 AM.

I don't understand why it matters at all. She could have been a nun, or a prostitute. The fact is that she was gang raped and murdered. That's it. She could have been out with her boyfriend, her husband, her son or a random stranger for a one night stand. It's irrelevant to the fact that she was gang raped and murdered. I hate these types of speculations.

India’s anti-rape protests: Are women getting groped? - Slate Magazine

The optimistic way of framing the problem is, as these women’s groups continue in their long-fought battle for meaningful changes in India’s darkly patriarchal society, they have to figure out how to welcome men into their movement without getting overwhelmed by them. Which won’t be easy so long as misogynistic foes of their campaign move in their midst.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Imran Khan (the actor) coming out with some strong statements

We are in such deep trouble: Imran Khan - Hindustan Times

The Indian spring?
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Education is the only solution

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    Imran Khan (the actor) coming out with some strong statements

We are in such deep trouble: Imran Khan - Hindustan Times

The Indian spring?
    That's the second time you've mentioned that. What does that even mean in a democracy?

A man should stand up and defend a woman, come what may.
    That's the type of paternalism that's part of the problem. You should defend another human being, regardless. And more importantly, the society must change so that women are empowered to stand up for themselves. We can't have a society where women are forced to be defined by a man.

in a society where men are stronger I don't think he said the wrong thing.

He doesn't say anywhere that you shouldn't defend another human being.

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post

He doesn't say anywhere that you shouldn't defend another human being.
    Yeah, he doesn't. The problem lies however in the subconscious implication.

I agree with SS.
    Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

Shashi Tharoor suggested that the victim's name be made public and the new anti-rape laws be named after her. The family innocently enough says that her name can be used for a good cause. If I were you Mr Tharoor, I wouldn't make that suggestion. There are all sorts of distasteful things that can happen if her name is made public.

Simon Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    That's the type of paternalism that's part of the problem. You should defend another human being, regardless. And more importantly, the society must change so that women are empowered to stand up for themselves. We can't have a society where women are forced to be defined by a man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    Yeah, he doesn't. The problem lies however in the subconscious implication.

I agree with SS.
    Reading too much into it tbh.

Think he meant it in the sense that Men should also protect woman. The onus is on society as a whole and it's not only a woman's issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Cevno View Post
    Reading too much into it tbh.

Think he meant it in the sense that Men should also protect woman. The onus is on society as a whole and it's not only a woman's issue.
    exactly

Page 16 of 52 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread Information