Page 15 of 72 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: The Official Indian Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Cevno View Post
    Will respond in detail later to SS above, but the alleged 17 year old who reportedly brutalized her most getting away with 3 years maximum in a juvenile justice home is ****ed up. Even if he's telling the truth then he's 18 in 4 months and this is by no means "a crime of innocence".
    Just curious, but how did this come out? Have the police released a statement of their investigation or was there a "leak" that detailed this?

Simon Champion!

I meant the bit about the minor being the most "brutal". I would've thought the police would hang on to the details of the case until the trial starts.

Simon Champion!
    Not sure. The article only says "is said to be most brutal". Doesn't specify source or anything which is why i said reportedly.

Simon Champion!
    Last edited by Cevno; 30-12-2012 at 02:13 PM.

Simon Champion!

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anil View Post
    life in prison doesn't mean the same in india as in the u.s...unless things have changed in the past few years, the max term is 14 years or something...?
    Well, the max term may be whatever - the important thing is what is the average length of punishment for something like that?
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Anil View Post
    but this is murder now right? surely the death penalty is on the table....?
    Yea, I was speaking in general.

Indian gang-rape victim planned to marry within weeks - The National
    Human Rights Watch called on the government on Sunday to ban the use of the so-called "finger test" in which a doctor tests the laxity of a rape victim's ******, apparently to determine if she is "habituated to sexual intercourse".
    Such tests result in "unscientific and degrading findings" that often wrongly discredit complaints from women, the New York-based rights group said.
    I hope this isn't true because if so, it is quite possibly the most outrageous thing I've heard about this whole situation. Not only is it unscientific, but even if it was scientific, it would still be irrelevant. Just because a woman is sexual active doesn't mean she can't be raped. It's absolutely ludicrous.

Simon Champion!
    It's true sadly.

Supreme court gave a judgement questioning it's efficacy but it is still prevalent in most states. (A few banned it however.)

Central government panel this year also said, that it should be banned -

Ban 2-finger test on rape victims: Panel - Times Of India

And though i am not sure, i think it has been included in the draft sexual assault bill this year. That bill is pending in parliament for like 7/8 years though, and has now been modified several times.

Simon Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cevno View Post
    Watching some news channels and If this gives rise to moral policing and particularly that of entertainment industry which some people seem to be suggesting, i'll not be happy.

And that's probably the softest target too.

That's like the smoking on screen should be banned argument ffs.
    And it's begun -

Rapper Honey Singh's New Year concert cancelled by hotel after online campaign | NDTV.com

Gurgaon hotel cancels rapper Honey Singh's show over lewd lyrics, FIR filed in Lucknow - India - IBNLive

Yeah, some of the lyrics of his songs are crass and extremely denigrating but this is such a predictable and stupid response.

And once you start going down this slope, where do you stop ? It's a slippery slope as they say.

The weird thing is that it was the so called Liberal brigade on Social media and even the mainstream media that was advocating this along with several other steps in the entertainment sphere. Liberal Fascism eh?

Simon Champion!
    So, according to many folks on my twitter timeline if i am dancing to Honey Singh songs (even non crass ones), i am encouraging sexual violence against woman ?

Wonder what i am encouraging, if i am listening to Eminem and Sting ?

Yep, if you hear some noise right now, it's probably me banging my head on the wall.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!

Honey Singh is sick. Had never heard any of his songs before, but lyrics I found out a few days back are shocking. On YouTube, I see comments on his videos to the tune of "This is how girls with attitude should be taught a lesson". It makes one cringe. He has been booked under a section of IPC that pertains to obscenity in public among other things. So the action taken against him is within law, and I do support it.

However, I agree that you can't go down that path too far. There is this discussion going on "item songs" too. While I have always hated them (not just because they are cheap but because they are uniformly cacophonous), I don't know if they are in violation of any law. Lot of things can have negative influences but prevention and punishment should be made stronger rather than going after such soft targets.
    Last edited by ankitj; 31-12-2012 at 11:02 PM.

It's not a coincidence that actually the countries where women have the fewest rights are those with the harshest punishment for rape (often death), and with the most restrictions on speech like that.

I'm not saying it's a causative relationship, but the cultures that tend to view those things as good ideas also tend to be much more repressive of women. There's a controversial theory in feminism (not one that I fully agree with, but pointing it out for discussion) that states that by treating rape as a crime on par with murder actually does more harm to women and increases their shame - by making them feel like if a woman is nothing without her ability to have sex. Basically it's saying that if you lose your 'honor', you might as well be dead (because that's how the law will treat the crime) because that's what you are defined by.

I am certainly not advocating less restrictive punishment for rape but one of the things that absolutely has to happen for real change to occur is the shame has to be removed from the victim. If I go outside and get assaulted, there is very little shame for me. On the other hand, especially in places like India, there is a tremendous amount of shame associated with having been raped. Even when the victim isn't blamed directly, her life can often be ruined beyond repair. Aside from the emotional and physical trauma of the rape itself (which can be long lasting and substantial), the girl often has trouble getting married in the future, and her parents and her whole family is shamed in many ways.

Speaking purely anecdotally, I asked several people around my family (all of whom were outraged about the rape) if they would be OK with an arranged marriage to a woman who has been raped, and they all said they wouldn't, or at least be extremely hesitant. That to me is a problem that's comparatively much more serious than the relatively minor issue of what some guy says in his lyrics.

Page 15 of 72 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Thread Information