Page 13 of 64 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: The Official Indian Politics Thread

Simon Champion!
    So Rahul Gandhi Wakes up after 12 days. Copy-pastes every tired cliche into his speech. Mails it. Goes back to sleep/party/holiday/whatever.

Youth Icon my arse. Don't get how some people think he is PM material ?

Hell i'd rather make Virat Kohli PM than him.

Simon Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by Cevno View Post
    Youth Icon my arse. Don't get how some people think he is PM material ?
    the same way party sycophants and complete and utter fools of rank-and-file members thought sanjay gandhi and rajiv gandhi were pm material...the nehru family has been treated like royalty by enough morons in the decades after independence, it's no wonder they themselves feel entitled and look at the country as their personal fiefdom...
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    very very close friend of mine is an Arab Christian and he speaks Arabic too and the visible hidden filth shows the mentality which may never change .....
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    AAooouchh !!!!!
    I still remember that zipper accident of mine when I was in kindergarten ..... (Thing is OK I repeat thing is OK now )!!!

This is so shocking. Explains why the bus was never stopped at check points. The cops collecting "hafta" should be booked for complicity in this case, if such a thing is allowed by law.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    I'm hearing she was sent to Singapore on political terms rather than based on advice from the doctors?

Simon Champion!
    Is govt also to blame for killing Delhi gang-rape victim? - India - DNA

Still not fully clear, but seems so. Many Journo's suggesting that too. Posted another article on last page too.
    Last edited by Cevno; 30-12-2012 at 12:35 AM.

Simon Champion!

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    So what are some of the specific political changes that the protestors are looking for? I see the problem as a cultural one, more so than a legal one. The main legal issue would be to make sure the police properly investigate rape allegations Instead of dismissing them.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

The problem is both social and of law and order. Both need to be addressed. While the social issue is going to take looong to correct, and will have shared responsibility (i.e. no accountability), the issue of law and order can be turned around in short term and specific officials and leaders can be held accountable. That is what I wish comes out of this. Deadlines must be set for law makers and police to take necessary steps (legislation for stricter maximum punishment, fast track courts, CCTV cameras and GPS tracking devices in buses, badges for all employees of public transport, better lighting in public places, setting up of rehabilitation centres for rape victims etc etc). My fear has been since the start of this debate that in all this talk of societal reform and long term measures, the accountability for implementing definite, time bound changes might be diluted.

The government has paid lip services but no one is confident that anything will happen. Took so long for MMS to come out. No signs yet of a special session of parliament to discuss the issue. In course of time the protests will die down. How long can people who have to earn bread for their families, and send their kids to school keep holding candles? When that happens, the politicians and officials will all go off the hook.It's all very frustrating.
    Last edited by ankitj; 30-12-2012 at 06:43 AM.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Isn't the maximum punishment for rape already something like life in prison? Seems like the punishment is hardly the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Isn't the maximum punishment for rape already something like life in prison? Seems like the punishment is hardly the problem.
    Yeah, The punishment is not actually the problem and I don't necessarily agree with the push but the legal issue that some of the protesters are pushing for is:

The Penal Code provides for death sentence at the judge's discretion for murder and the current legal position is that death sentence is only to be awarded for the 'rarest of the rare' cases where the criminal exhibited 'extreme brutality and exceptional depravity.' The maximum punishment for rape, as you said, is life imprisonment. The protesters want the death penalty extended for rape with the same 'rarest of the rare' test.
    Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

Simon Champion!
    Will respond in detail later to SS above, but the alleged 17 year old who reportedly brutalized her most getting away with 3 years maximum in a juvenile justice home is ****ed up. Even if he's telling the truth then he's 18 in 4 months and this is by no means "a crime of innocence".

Quote Originally Posted by Cevno View Post
    Will respond in detail later to SS above, but the alleged 17 year old who reportedly brutalized her most getting away with 3 years maximum in a juvenile justice home is ****ed up. Even if he's telling the truth then he's 18 in 4 months and this is by no means "a crime of innocence".
    Are you saying we need tougher juveline laws or that we need to give the 17 year old a harsher punishment now?

Because the latter would be ridiculous. Article 20(1) is pretty clear on the matter:

"No person shall be convicted of any offence except for violation of a law in force at the time of the commission of the act charged as an offence, nor be subjected to a penalty greater than that which have been inflicted under the law in force at the time of commission of the offence."

If the guy is proven to be 17, it's not even a 'hard' case. Yes, you can use this case as a core reason as to why juvenile laws need to be tougher on people aged above 15 committing murder in the future. However, having a sentence of anything more than 3 years for this guy would be constitutional jeopardy.

Yes, It is not complete justice in the moral sense but there is something to be said for rule of law.
    Last edited by Teja.; 30-12-2012 at 08:15 AM.

Simon Champion!
    Saw some Human rights lawyer on one Channel saying that the law were like this because he should be given a chance to reform, and we should study how his mind got polluted and how he got into bad company.

WTF ? See the type of crime this guy committed and he was apparently the most brutal too. And it's not like he was 10/12 and forced to do it by others too ffs. He would be a adult in 4 months time if he's telling the truth.

That act as it stands is almost a invitation for 16/17 year old to commit all sorts of crimes before they turn 18. And in this case they'll probably do the bone marrow test but what about others where 19/20 years may claim to be underage ?

These parliamentarians make all sorts of ridiculous laws with loopholes, and leave it to the Judiciary to close. And if they don't uniformly then it's exploited by criminals.

Simon Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    Are you saying we need tougher juveline laws or that we need to give the 17 year old a harsher punishment now?

Because the latter would be ridiculous. Article 20(1) is pretty clear on the matter:

"No person shall be convicted of any offence except for violation of a law in force at the time of the commission of the act charged as an offence, nor be subjected to a penalty greater than that which have been inflicted under the law in force at the time of commission of the offence."

If the guy is proven to be 17, it's not even a 'hard' case. Yes, you can use this case as a core reason as to why juvenile laws need to be tougher on people aged above 15 committing murder in the future. However, having a sentence of anything more than 3 years for this guy would be constitutional jeopardy.

Yes, It is not complete justice in the moral sense but there is something to be said for rule of law.
    I agree they can't retroactively amend it. Would set a very very risky precedent and SC won't accept it for criminal law anyway.

I can understand age of 18 for petty small crimes, but there is no way such hideous crimes can be considered juvenile ones or "acts of innocence" as the act calls it.

This is what happens when these parliamentarians don't fully think through a law and then don't amend it again quickly.

See this for example -

Criminals using juveniles for crimes - Times Of India

Juvenile crimes taking a more serious turn - Indian Express

Rise in juvenile crime: Time to recheck social, moral fibre? - Speak Up - DNA

Page 13 of 64 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread Information