Page 77 of 139 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,155 of 2072
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: The Official Pakistan Politics thread

With friends like these

The temptation to ignore Sheikh Rasheed is a strong one for the reason that he is a clown who thrives on cheap publicity and takes pride in his crudeness. Yet, the temptation should be fought off since he has now completed the transition from being a third-rate comedian to more like a roving, blood-seeking individual. Equally significantly, Sheikh Rasheed now deserves our contempt and attention not only for himself but also for those he seeks to associate with. He called for the Chief Justice to act like a common murderer and kill the president of the country, asked the Chief of Army Staff to intervene and take over and implored Mullah Omar (who he also termed Ameer-ul-Momineen) to be benevolent enough to allow Imran Khan to make his expedition into Waziristan in one speech. This is quite unbelievable even by the low and vulgar standards of the Sheikh. He should be locked up (for good, if possible) for incitement to murder and subversion of the Constitution and treason and not be allowed to pollute our airwaves unnecessarily while the process is being conducted. No elaborate case needs to be made against him and the video clip of his speech at Rawalpindi should be sufficient to send him away.

The really distressing part is not the conduct of the Sheikh since he was always on the fringe of descending into complete madness; it is the conduct of Imran Khan. Mr Khan was present on the stage when this nonsense was being carried out. He did not deem it fit to say anything to condemn or more mildly disassociate with the murderous chant. Even afterwards, there is no clear condemnation from the PTI and only apologetic, throat-clearing mumbo jumbo. If we start at the beginning, Imran Khan walking to Sheikh Rasheed’s Lal Haveli and making an “alliance” is either plainly dumb or is under GHQ directives and that’s that. The supporters of the Mighty Khan are offended when proper deference is not accorded to the “dear leader”; well if he decides to sit mute when calls for murder of the president to be conducted by the Chief Justice are being raised by one of his allies, then I am afraid that he will have to be treated as big boy. The suggestion that Mr Khan is either not very sharp in political decision-making or a military stooge are gentle and more significantly based on reason as compared with the language that was used in his presence for the co-chairperson of the ruling party by one of his allies. Any claim for a special privilege for Mr Khan or the heightened sensitivities of his supporters should be brushed aside as the nonsense that it is.

It is quite befitting that Sheikh ‘Tulli’ did what he did with Imran Khan on stage. The supporters (particularly the younger cadre) of Mr Khan have heralded a new phase of ‘fascism’ in Pakistan where anyone not agreeing with Mr Khan is a paid agent of another party/country or a liberal fascist/fake liberal (the terms are meant to be abusive and hence nobody has put much thought in defining them). Mr Khan has confused and dangerous views on the Taliban and that is not to ascribe any malice to him and just that his strategy is a dangerous one (which incidentally puts higher onus on him to clarify if he also considers Mullah Omar as Ameer-ul-Momineen and requires his approval for his march into Waziristan). However, to say that means that you are an agent of imperialism drawing a weekly cheque from the US embassy and also be the recipient of other assorted abuse. Many young soldiers of Mr Khan give the distinct impression and, perhaps, would fall under the definition of a ‘cult’ (think less Jim Morrison and more KKK).

They could benefit from reading Leon Trotsky’s essay The Struggle for Cultured Speech and the role of speech and language in revolutions. However, it seems that many of his supporters having access to Wikipedia already have a favourite quotation from Arthur Schopenhaur of first they will laugh at you, etc and then you win. How appropriate that they resort frequently to Hitler’s favourite philosopher.

Mr Khan’s supporters want us take him more seriously than he apparently takes himself. His representatives find themselves delivering his messages on stage with the Difa-e-Pakistan Council fanatics, whereas he decides to bestow that honour upon Sheikh Rasheed. His explanation on the “benami” issue is as good as the next politician. There is nothing inherently unusual about this conduct in politics except for Mr Khan who insists upon using lofty, arrogant and morally stern rhetoric for all politics and politicians, and then it is not unreasonable to judge him by the standards he insists others be judged by.

Finally, I await a Suo Motu by My Lord, the Chief Justice. Surely, My Lord will not stand to be treated as a hired gun and a murderer by Sheikh Rasheed. Faisal Raza Abidi’s hysteria cannot be condoned, yet he is making allegations that he claims that he has documentary proof of and should be investigated even if he is to be sentenced for contempt for his tone and manner. In contrast, the Sheikh, who in the past has said quite disobliging things about My Lord, has addressed him and asked him to commit murder. This is an attempt to dent the perception of neutrality of the Supreme Court and one hopes that the Court will not allow a huckster like Sheikh Rasheed to manipulate and compromise its objectivity. I say it with utmost of reverence that the public perception is that had such a speech involving the Chief Justice and the Chief of Army Staff been made by the Prime Minister or a cabinet member it would only have been a matter of hours before suo-motu notice was taken and a ‘Special’ bench constituted and the offending person summoned. Mr Khan and My Lords should remember that friends and sympathisers such as Sheikh Rasheed are ones that nobody needs.

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Funny that he is using terms like fascism and KKK for young urbanites.

But what can you say about idiots, who support a particular party/person blindly. I will wait and see what Imran brings to the table if he becomes Prime minister, rather than continuously discredit him, at every opportunity. He will either prove himself or fail.
    Last edited by Agent Nationaux; 19-08-2012 at 06:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    lol @ Saroop Ejaz.

Hasn't changed much from my college days. Wasn't taken seriously back then, don't think he will be now
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

interesting article........points out how different heads of Pakistan have played their roles in the "Islamization" of Pakistan. The "secular" PPP's role too

In praise of Zia – The Express Tribune

Since I bash him so relentlessly when he's soft on extremists, it's only fair I praise him when he stands up to them. Kudos to Imran Khan for condemning the arrest of a 11 year old with possible down syndrome on charges of blasphemy. From Khan's twitter feed:

"Shameful! Sending an 11yr old girl to prison is against the very spirit of Islam which is all about being Just and Compassionate. Poor child is already suffering from Down Syndrome. State should care for its children not torment them. We demand her immed release."

Well said Mr. Khan. It is a matter of shame that we have the blasphemy laws on the books, which are usually used to persecute minorities. Even more shameful that every political party and politician has been silenced since the murder of Salman Taseer (the former governor of Punjab who was killed by his own bodyguard for speaking against the blasphemy laws).
    Last edited by Fusion; 20-08-2012 at 07:55 PM.

Pakistan turned 65 earlier this month. Suffice to say, it is a very different country now than her founder envisioned. Whether you want to argue that it was misguided/unrealistic or not, Jinnah had envisioned Pakistan to be a secular, tolerant, and modern state. It may be hard to believe, but for the better part of 3 decades, Pakistan largely fit that vision of Jinnah. That is not to say it was perfect or comparable to the developed world, but it was certainly far more progressive than it is today. The dictatorship of Zia transformed Pakistan. Gone were the progressives, in were the bearded extremists. Nadeem F. Paracha in Dawn newspaper has done a series of excellent articles presenting an "also Pakistan" of yesteryear which looked far different from today. Below are some of the pics he posted which I especially liked. Yup, believe it or not, this was also Pakistan:

Pakistan was a favorite destination of hippies and had a famous "Hippie Trail". The above picture is from Peshwar in 1972, now a hub of Taliban activity.

Ava Gardner filming for Bhowani Junction in Lahore in 1964.

American tourist enjoying Karachi beach in 1960.

A New Year's Eve party at Karachi's Metropole hotel in 1957.

Hippies in Lahore in 1972.

Jacqueline Kennedy visiting Karachi in 1962.

Pakistani women enjoying a swim at a sports complex in 1970.

Western tourists at the beautiful city of Murree in 1974.

Tourists enjoying a tabla jam session in 1975.

A Christian evangelist addressing fellow Christians near Abbotabad (yes that one) in 1977.

I would have liked NFP's article were it not for the fact that he is so damn biased that it is not even funny

Pakistan was probably the most liberal under Ayub Khan but his rule is more remembered in usurping the rights of East Pakistan and acting as their ruler.

Also it is so important to note that Mr NFP conveniently forgets that it was the PPP that started the process that Zia continued and took forward. Didn't it all start with declaring the Ahmedis as non-muslim during Bhutto's era and Bhutto wasn't exactly shying away from declaring them as such now was he?

another important point that Mr NFP chooses to ignore is that Bhutto was the big first step in destroying Ayub Khan's Pakistan

A few more pics:

A PIA ad featuring the famous American comedian Bob Hope.

A shop openly selling whiskey in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa in 1977.

Beatle mania in 1963.

Sunbathing at Karachi beach.

An American travel guidebook to Pakistan from 1962.

Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin greeted as rock stars in Karachi.

Nice Pics Fusion, but I don't understand why selling Alcohol is termed progressive.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Cos it's all about people's rights to act how they want. Clearly that's progression.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    Cos it's all about people's rights to act how they want. Clearly that's progression.
    Then alcohol is just a starting point. There are so many other things that western "progressive" societies can allow.

People also want to have the right to carry guns but most people on here would be opposed to that. I'm guessing then in terms of Gun control the US is more progressive? Britain has the worst statistics when it comes to binge drinking. But that's OK since it's progressive because we are letting people do what they want. Let's also allow them to walk around nude in front of our children and purchase Heroine from Tesco.
    Last edited by Agent Nationaux; 21-08-2012 at 04:35 AM.

You're not seriously saying alcohol is equivalent to heroin, are you?

Seriously?

The slippery slope argument is just a lazy cop-out that avoids having to place an actual nuanced argument.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    You're not seriously saying alcohol is equivalent to heroin, are you?

Seriously?

The slippery slope argument is just a lazy cop-out that avoids having to place an actual nuanced argument.
    All I am saying is I don't find it as progressive and I'm not impressed when people complain that banning alcohol is against progression and civil liberties. Alcohol is not a benefit to society.

Thread Information