Page 57 of 145 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107 ... LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: The Official Pakistan Politics thread

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar

they are a little too pro-active for a lot of people's tastes but as long as they keep the others in check it is fine by me. I think what they have done with the NRO is good stuff.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    My only problem is that why SC is not pursuing cases against Nawaz with as much dedication. Its not fair to just target one party..especially when you are the Supreme Court...
    BE AFRIDI!
    Be VERY AFRIDI!!

If NRO goes then shouldn't everybody's cover be blown?
    Last edited by smalishah84; 12-01-2012 at 08:55 AM.

Iím glad that Pakistanís Supreme Court finally has some independence, but they have turned into an activist judiciary, which is not their job. Their only job should be to interpret whether a law is constitutional or not. The Chief Justice has inserted himself (and the court) into matters that are outside his jurisdiction. It can be just as damaging to have a power-mad judiciary as a military dictator.

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    Iím glad that Pakistanís Supreme Court finally has some independence, but they have turned into an activist judiciary, which is not their job. Their only job should be to interpret whether a law is constitutional or not. The Chief Justice has inserted himself (and the court) into matters that are outside his jurisdiction. It can be just as damaging to have a power-mad judiciary as a military dictator.
    Is there anyone decent other than the PPP?

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    Is there anyone decent other than the PPP?
    What does the PPP have to do with my statement? Can you once in a while make a logical post? Posts like these are exactly the reason why I've pretty much stopped replying to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    What does the PPP have to do with my statement? Can you once in a while make a logical post? Posts like these are exactly the reason why I've pretty much stopped replying to you.
    Ok. Sorry. Honest question. Serious.

What are your views on the PPP and this govt?
    Last edited by smalishah84; 12-01-2012 at 09:32 AM.

Weíve done this dance before, but Iíll oblige. Iím not a PPP supporter and I have no affiliation with a political party in Pakistan. The PPP government is corrupt and probably inept in many cases. Zardari has earned the Mr. 10% nickname, and then some. However, based on the current sorry affairs of the country, they are the best of the worst IMO. The PPP is a largely secular party that tries to value minority rights. The party has no set agenda to hate India, or to oppress the aggrieved people of other provinces like Baluchistan. Most importantly to me, the party is also against the influence of extremists taking over the country. As I consider the threat of extremism to be Pakistanís biggest problem (and one that can disintegrate the country unlike corruption), I grudgingly accept this coalition government.

Pakistan: a coup by other means

What is happening is a coup by other means. The army has staged four coups in the past, but this time, its instrument is a blatantly partisan supreme court, which is attempting to force an elected government to resign. The timing of the traitor tag is not accidental. In March the ruling Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) could win control over the upper house of parliament and then Ė whatever happens to President Asif Ali Zardari and the PPP in the next election Ė the next government could not change the constitution.

Mr Zardari and the PPP government can be faulted for many things. The political charge sheet is long: incompetence, weakness, venality. They reacted terribly to the worst floods in living memory. They have pandered to fundamentalism over the blasphemy law rather than facing it down. A weak state has grown steadily weaker under their civilian control. Mr Zardari carries much personal baggage, which is almost certainly worthy of further investigation, but while president, he enjoys immunity from prosecution and he is right to face down the military. The place to oust an administration enjoying a two-thirds majority is at an election, and the people to do so are voters, not judges, generals or intelligence chiefs. Anyone who allows generals to remove politicians must be aware that the same could happen to them.

Is this article correct?

IIRC the Senate is largely ceremonial. It can't do much if the lower house of the legislature approves a law. Much like the house of Lords in the UK.

Can anyone shed a bit more light on it?

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    I agree with Fusion, that only the voters should be allowed to remove Zardari. If they vote to keep him there in the next election, then all I can say is that they ****ers deserve a bastard like Zardari. However the military should in no way be allowed to intervene and stage yet another coup. I have had enough of those and the affect that they have had on Pakistan in the past. I don't want Pakistan to be like Egypt or Turkey, where the military has all the power.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    I agree with Fusion, that only the voters should be allowed to remove Zardari. If they vote to keep him there in the next election, then all I can say is that they ****ers deserve a bastard like Zardari. However the military should in no way be allowed to intervene and stage yet another coup. I have had enough of those and the affect that they have had on Pakistan in the past. I don't want Pakistan to be like Egypt or Turkey, where the military has all the power.
    Thanks to Erdogan Turkey has changed a lot in the last decade.

According to Imran he wants to pull an Erdogan in Pakistan.

I think some of Fusion's fears should be put to rest with this

Imran Khan says he’s not anti-West | | DAWN.COM

International Debutant Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    I think some of Fusion's fears should be put to rest with this

Imran Khan says heís not anti-West | | DAWN.COM
    LOL you need to stop trying to convince people and let them change their own minds as and when they see fit.

tbf a lot of times I am actually taking the piss at Fusion (no hard feelings Fusion, just all in good fun ) for making statements such as "I would prefer Zardari over Imran".

Thread Information