Page 56 of 141 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: The Official Pakistan Politics thread

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Zardari is a genius of sorts

Ready to resign today if party and allies want: Zardari | Pakistan | DAWN.COM

Always keeps people on the edge of their seats and has been able to coopt all the other politicians to go along with him

NA session on Thursday to discuss crisis | Newspaper | DAWN.COM

btw after the SC ruling on NRO what are the chances of this govt getting kicked out?
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

All hell breaking loose in Pakistan right now with the goverment clashing with the army. Gilani gave an interview in which he accused the army and ISI chiefs of possibly violating the constitution. The army has responded back and warned of consequences. Coup speculation is widespread. I don't think the army will attempt a direct coup. I think more than likely they will destabalize the goverment through the ISI in such a manner that it will collapse.

So here's the next test for our champion of democracy and the most principled man in the country. Imran, as the most popular figure in Pakistan, needs to make it clear that the army has absulotely no business interfering in politics. He needs to make it clear that he will not support a coup, whether done in a direct or covert manner by the army. If the army is allowed to dispose of a goverment they don't like, true democracy will never prevail in Pakistan. We are at a unique point in Pakistani history. Unlike in the past, we have a vibrant and independent press. The judiciary has new wings. The public has no appetite for another coup. All of these factors combine to give the civilian sector unprecedented power to stand up to the army. I hope Imran will show himself to be a true leader and lead the charge for democracy and insist that the goverment be able to complete its term.
    Last edited by Fusion; 11-01-2012 at 09:31 AM.

I think its in Imran's favor that elections takes place in 2013 and not now I do hope he does not support any intended coup by the army.

I doubt that Imran will support a military coup at this point in time.

He has the most to lose if the military comes in right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    A
    So here's the next test for our champion of democracy and the most principled man in the country. .
    lol.....Imran's biggest "supporter" defining the test for him. What more should Imran do Fusion? Please define the process that Imran should follow in order to redeem himself in your eyes

btw after the NRO decision shouldn't this govt leave the parliament and call fresh elections?

have to admit that Condoleeza Rice is a real champion of freedom and democracy

Rice reveals all about Benazir-Musharraf NRO deal Says Musharraf was imposing martial

Just listening to Imran's interview right now

He says that if the govt goes against the Supreme Court then his party will be out in the streets

It's a start, and kudos to him for that. Though he explicitly mentions supporting the Supreme Court on the constitution, he only vaguely alludes to the army by saying that "all institutions will have to remain in their domains". Nevertheless, I think we get his meaning. I hope he remains firm and opposes any effort by the army to destabilize the government.

Simon Champion!
    Don't think the Army would do a coup this time due to several reasons and factors being unfavorable, but is the Supreme Court order constitutional itself? It really shouldn't be getting involved in the political/electoral sphere and dismissing elected governments/deciding when elections are held. At most it can prosecute individuals and give a sentence on individual cases.
    Last edited by Cevno; 12-01-2012 at 01:22 AM.

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    The Pak military isn't as loved as it used to be, so i don't think there will be a coup.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cevno View Post
    Don't think the Army would do a coup this time due to several reasons and factors being unfavorable, but is the Supreme Court order constitutional itself? It really shouldn't be getting involved in the political/electoral sphere and dismissing elected governments/deciding when elections are held. At most it can prosecute individuals and give a sentence on individual cases.
    I think that the Supreme Court has ruled on the legality of the NRO which is the blanket under which this parliament could be ushered. The NRO has to be one of the worst ordinances passed in the history of mankind.

Pakistan judicary has started acting like a beggar who got lucky with the get rich scheme.

Thread Information