Page 53 of 145 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast
Results 781 to 795 of 2171
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: The Official Pakistan Politics thread

  1. #781
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    21,766
    happy new year from Nawaz Sharif with a promise for change

    Nawaz assails govt policies; vows to bring change | Pakistan | DAWN.COM

    change is the new buzz word. After the "tsunami"
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

    Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

  2. #782
    International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,272
    Quote Originally Posted by slowfinger View Post
    Shehzad Roy-Apney Ulloo

    Amazing song, deep meaning.
    Yup..loved the song...he has made so many meaningful songs...
    BE AFRIDI!
    Be VERY AFRIDI!!

  3. #783
    International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,272
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    Oh please. That was a pathetic article and comment posted by Smali. Of course Muslims in general faced discrimination and some isolated cases of hate crimes after 9/11. It was not prevalent and certainly not bad enough for anyone to fear detention camps or change identities! I've lived in this country for more than 22 years and I've never once feared for my life because I'm a Muslim/Pakistani. I vividly remember 9/11 and going to work that day. I was apprehensive about the reaction I might get from others. No one said a negative word to me. On the contrary, many of my co-workers came up to me individually and wanted to make sure that I was OK and not being targeted by someone. Also, Pakistan was not in the radar of most Americans after 9/11. It was "Muslims" in general that were the topic of conversation. Pakistan has only become the hot topic in the past 5 years or so.

    The US is not perfect and Muslims are certainly under suspicion and may face some cases of discrimination. However, the overwhelming majority of the time they are treated with respect and dignity. Compare that with the treatment of minorities in Pakistan and other Muslim countries and it becomes clear who's morally superior. Frankly, if you want to see the best parts of Islam in actual practice, come live in the US. In terms of openly and proudly practicing your religion, respecting the rights of its citizens, and giving everyone the opportunity to better their own life, the US puts any other Muslim country to shame.
    Thats why I said being a Muslim because Pakistan was kind of unknown at that time and I disagree with Smali that someone would change Identity.

    I don't know which part of US you live in but in Brooklyn NY there is a tremendous amount of desi community. Those weren't some "isolated" events...i don't know how you can down play some of the most pathetic hate crimes that occurred to our own people. I don't care what the article says but you need to get your facts right bud. I have family and my cousins still living in NY and I know whats the situation with them.

    Even poor Sikhs had the most amount of backlash because of there beard. There were Muslim males been taken away from there homes without any warrent/charges and there families have still havent heard about them. If they were put in death camps or taken away for an indefinite time what difference does it make?

    And frankly speaking, practicing Islam is not just praying and going to Masjid etc. Practicing Islam has to do with creating an Islamic society which is no where to be found in the world.

    I don't agree with rights protection of Muslims in U.S. the patriot act has given the power to the prosecution and law enforcement to do search and cease without just cause, the right to remain silent is nullified, innocent until proven guilty has been reversed, unreasonable detention has been legalized, privacy invasion is common by tapping phone lines etc.. And it is mostly directed at Muslims.

    There is a law called Bill C-36 in Canada which is similar to the U.S. patriot act but I have hardly heard or seen it being practiced like the patriot act is used in the U.S.

    If there is one country which can boast about human rights of minorities in real terms and not bending/twisting rules and laws based on race than that is Canada....
    Last edited by Faisal1985; 01-01-2012 at 06:57 AM.

  4. #784
    State Captain slowfinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Worcs.
    Posts
    1,973
    Quote Originally Posted by Faisal1985 View Post
    Yup..loved the song...he has made so many meaningful songs...
    The Angelina Jolie reference was lolworthy and the rapper basically told the history of Pakistan... The song is now #1 in the charts
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba
    If Shoiab starts throwing his jockstrap around, they're all going to catch something

    Accidental Founder of the Fawad Alam Appreciation Society!

    Slowfinger - An active member of CricketWeb for 7 years and counting!


  5. #785
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    21,766
    Quote Originally Posted by Faisal1985 View Post
    Thats why I said being a Muslim because Pakistan was kind of unknown at that time and I disagree with Smali that someone would change Identity.


    when did I say somebody would change their identity? It was that article by somebody who happens to be in the US and wrote a piece for dawn. I just put it here. I thought maybe that was why Fusion acts the way he does . Turns out it isn't just that

    Quote Originally Posted by Faisal1985 View Post
    I don't know which part of US you live in but in Brooklyn NY there is a tremendous amount of desi community. Those weren't some "isolated" events...i don't know how you can down play some of the most pathetic hate crimes that occurred to our own people. I don't care what the article says but you need to get your facts right bud. I have family and my cousins still living in NY and I know whats the situation with them.

    Even poor Sikhs had the most amount of backlash because of there beard. There were Muslim males been taken away from there homes without any warrent/charges and there families have still havent heard about them. If they were put in death camps or taken away for an indefinite time what difference does it make?

    And frankly speaking, practicing Islam is not just praying and going to Masjid etc. Practicing Islam has to do with creating an Islamic society which is no where to be found in the world.

    I don't agree with rights protection of Muslims in U.S. the patriot act has given the power to the prosecution and law enforcement to do search and cease without just cause, the right to remain silent is nullified, innocent until proven guilty has been reversed, unreasonable detention has been legalized, privacy invasion is common by tapping phone lines etc.. And it is mostly directed at Muslims.

    There is a law called Bill C-36 in Canada which is similar to the U.S. patriot act but I have hardly heard or seen it being practiced like the patriot act is used in the U.S.

    If there is one country which can boast about human rights of minorities in real terms and not bending/twisting rules and laws based on race than that is Canada....
    woah.......didn't know about people being picked from their homes without charge. Sounds scary.

    From my friends who have lived in the US and Canada I have heard a lot of good things about both places, especially Canada.

  6. #786
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    21,766
    pretty good message from Wasim in favor of Imran's leadership

    Waseem Akram on Imran Khan - YouTube

  7. #787
    Global Moderator Fusion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11,494
    Quote Originally Posted by Faisal1985 View Post
    Thats why I said being a Muslim because Pakistan was kind of unknown at that time and I disagree with Smali that someone would change Identity.

    I don't know which part of US you live in but in Brooklyn NY there is a tremendous amount of desi community. Those weren't some "isolated" events...i don't know how you can down play some of the most pathetic hate crimes that occurred to our own people. I don't care what the article says but you need to get your facts right bud. I have family and my cousins still living in NY and I know whats the situation with them.

    Even poor Sikhs had the most amount of backlash because of there beard. There were Muslim males been taken away from there homes without any warrent/charges and there families have still havent heard about them. If they were put in death camps or taken away for an indefinite time what difference does it make?

    And frankly speaking, practicing Islam is not just praying and going to Masjid etc. Practicing Islam has to do with creating an Islamic society which is no where to be found in the world.

    I don't agree with rights protection of Muslims in U.S. the patriot act has given the power to the prosecution and law enforcement to do search and cease without just cause, the right to remain silent is nullified, innocent until proven guilty has been reversed, unreasonable detention has been legalized, privacy invasion is common by tapping phone lines etc.. And it is mostly directed at Muslims.

    There is a law called Bill C-36 in Canada which is similar to the U.S. patriot act but I have hardly heard or seen it being practiced like the patriot act is used in the U.S.

    If there is one country which can boast about human rights of minorities in real terms and not bending/twisting rules and laws based on race than that is Canada....
    Wow, so now you've decided to make up crap. Lovely. Alright, I'll play along. Link me to a source which says that Pakistanis/Muslims got picked up from their homes in the US and were never heard from again. That's total bull crap and you know it. That kind of thing happens in Pakistan, not the US.

    Now let's talk about the "backlash" that you are talking about against Muslims. Immediately after 9/11, there were some isolated cases of hate crimes, including some people being killed. I call them "isolated" incidents because that's what they were. There were no mobs attacking Muslims (or people that looked like them) all over the U.S. Again, can you post something that shows that hate crimes against Muslims were widespread after 9/11? There was certainly no governmental sanction of those crimes, as each and every one of those hate crime was investigated and a man was even executed for his crime.

    I don't know what type of discrimination/backlash your family faced that made you want to move away. I'm not going to make light of your experience. Whatever it was though, it was certainly not the "norm" faced by the overwhelming majority of Muslims. Myself and the sizable Muslim community in Dallas (the heart of bible-thumping, right-wing loving, Bush country USA) have not experienced the hate that you describe. I also have family living in New York and visit there often. I don't see this hate against Muslims that you speak of. Keep in mind that I'm not saying there isn't discrimination or suspicion, because there's certainly that. However, I don't see anything on the level that would make families want to move away. I'm afraid whatever experience you had is clouding your entire judgement about what life is like for Muslims in the U.S. I will reiterate: Muslims are free to practice their religion here and are afforded the same protection and rights under the law that is afforded to anyone else.

  8. #788
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    43,732
    Quote Originally Posted by Faisal1985 View Post
    There were Muslim males been taken away from there homes without any warrent/charges and there families have still havent heard about them. If they were put in death camps or taken away for an indefinite time what difference does it make?


    Quote Originally Posted by Faisal1985 View Post
    And frankly speaking, practicing Islam is not just praying and going to Masjid etc. Practicing Islam has to do with creating an Islamic society
    Eek.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 01-01-2012 at 01:26 PM.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

  9. #789
    Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    9,868
    Death camps, lol


    Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    Wow, so now you've decided to make up crap. Lovely. Alright, I'll play along. Link me to a source which says that Pakistanis/Muslims got picked up from their homes in the US and were never heard from again. That's total bull crap and you know it. That kind of thing happens in Pakistan, not the US.

    Now let's talk about the "backlash" that you are talking about against Muslims. Immediately after 9/11, there were some isolated cases of hate crimes, including some people being killed. I call them "isolated" incidents because that's what they were. There were no mobs attacking Muslims (or people that looked like them) all over the U.S. Again, can you post something that shows that hate crimes against Muslims were widespread after 9/11? There was certainly no governmental sanction of those crimes, as each and every one of those hate crime was investigated and a man was even executed for his crime.

    I don't know what type of discrimination/backlash your family faced that made you want to move away. I'm not going to make light of your experience. Whatever it was though, it was certainly not the "norm" faced by the overwhelming majority of Muslims. Myself and the sizable Muslim community in Dallas (the heart of bible-thumping, right-wing loving, Bush country USA) have not experienced the hate that you describe. I also have family living in New York and visit there often. I don't see this hate against Muslims that you speak of. Keep in mind that I'm not saying there isn't discrimination or suspicion, because there's certainly that. However, I don't see anything on the level that would make families want to move away. I'm afraid whatever experience you had is clouding your entire judgement about what life is like for Muslims in the U.S. I will reiterate: Muslims are free to practice their religion here and are afforded the same protection and rights under the law that is afforded to anyone else.
    Really felt sad about the man who was executed by the Authorities. His victim had forgiven him and was protesting to save his life and that man truly felt remorseful. You could feel the remorse and shame in his voice. I wish he had not been executed.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

  10. #790
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    21,766
    Quote Originally Posted by Faisal1985 View Post
    Thats why I said being a Muslim because Pakistan was kind of unknown at that time and I disagree with Smali that someone would change Identity.

    I don't know which part of US you live in but in Brooklyn NY there is a tremendous amount of desi community. Those weren't some "isolated" events...i don't know how you can down play some of the most pathetic hate crimes that occurred to our own people. I don't care what the article says but you need to get your facts right bud. I have family and my cousins still living in NY and I know whats the situation with them.

    Even poor Sikhs had the most amount of backlash because of there beard. There were Muslim males been taken away from there homes without any warrent/charges and there families have still havent heard about them. If they were put in death camps or taken away for an indefinite time what difference does it make?

    And frankly speaking, practicing Islam is not just praying and going to Masjid etc. Practicing Islam has to do with creating an Islamic society which is no where to be found in the world.

    I don't agree with rights protection of Muslims in U.S. the patriot act has given the power to the prosecution and law enforcement to do search and cease without just cause, the right to remain silent is nullified, innocent until proven guilty has been reversed, unreasonable detention has been legalized, privacy invasion is common by tapping phone lines etc.. And it is mostly directed at Muslims.

    There is a law called Bill C-36 in Canada which is similar to the U.S. patriot act but I have hardly heard or seen it being practiced like the patriot act is used in the U.S.

    If there is one country which can boast about human rights of minorities in real terms and not bending/twisting rules and laws based on race than that is Canada....
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    Wow, so now you've decided to make up crap. Lovely. Alright, I'll play along. Link me to a source which says that Pakistanis/Muslims got picked up from their homes in the US and were never heard from again. That's total bull crap and you know it. That kind of thing happens in Pakistan, not the US.

    Now let's talk about the "backlash" that you are talking about against Muslims. Immediately after 9/11, there were some isolated cases of hate crimes, including some people being killed. I call them "isolated" incidents because that's what they were. There were no mobs attacking Muslims (or people that looked like them) all over the U.S. Again, can you post something that shows that hate crimes against Muslims were widespread after 9/11? There was certainly no governmental sanction of those crimes, as each and every one of those hate crime was investigated and a man was even executed for his crime.

    I don't know what type of discrimination/backlash your family faced that made you want to move away. I'm not going to make light of your experience. Whatever it was though, it was certainly not the "norm" faced by the overwhelming majority of Muslims. Myself and the sizable Muslim community in Dallas (the heart of bible-thumping, right-wing loving, Bush country USA) have not experienced the hate that you describe. I also have family living in New York and visit there often. I don't see this hate against Muslims that you speak of. Keep in mind that I'm not saying there isn't discrimination or suspicion, because there's certainly that. However, I don't see anything on the level that would make families want to move away. I'm afraid whatever experience you had is clouding your entire judgement about what life is like for Muslims in the U.S. I will reiterate: Muslims are free to practice their religion here and are afforded the same protection and rights under the law that is afforded to anyone else.
    wow......2 totally opposite experiences living in the same country. Who speaks the truth ?

  11. #791
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    21,766
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post




    Eek.
    don't you just love PEWS

  12. #792
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    21,766

  13. #793
    Cricketer Of The Year Xuhaib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    9,506
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    pretty good message from Wasim in favor of Imran's leadership

    Waseem Akram on Imran Khan - YouTube
    Wasim to be Pakistan's ambassador in India once Imran comes in to power.

  14. #794
    Hall of Fame Member Cevno's Avatar
    Simon Champion!
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    15,850
    I thought that job was reserved for Veena Malik?

  15. #795
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    21,766
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuhaib View Post
    Wasim to be Pakistan's ambassador in India once Imran comes in to power.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cevno View Post
    I thought that job was reserved for Veena Malik?



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The Official Programming Thread
    By vcs in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 25-01-2012, 08:57 PM
  2. Pakistan vs England Jul-Aug-Sep 2010
    By gunner in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 24-07-2010, 08:41 PM
  3. India Pakistan Slug-fest !!
    By SJS in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 17-08-2009, 10:50 AM
  4. Pakistan Squad
    By Xuhaib in forum 2009 ICC World Twenty20
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-05-2009, 06:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •