Page 51 of 136 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: The Official Pakistan Politics thread

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    I will wait to hear from Fusion himself, since he lives in the US and has been there since a very young age.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Faisal1985 View Post
    o
    In pre 9/11 era that would be true but not now bud. I have lived in NY and done my high school there...i have experienced first hand post 9/11 racism and complete discrimination for being a Muslim..thats why my family ended up moving to Canada. I still have friends and family in NY ...i know its not that easy for Pakistanis...but also not as tough that they have to change identity and pretend to be Indians..but surely Pakistanis arent the most favorites in America at the.moment.
    Oh please. That was a pathetic article and comment posted by Smali. Of course Muslims in general faced discrimination and some isolated cases of hate crimes after 9/11. It was not prevalent and certainly not bad enough for anyone to fear detention camps or change identities! I've lived in this country for more than 22 years and I've never once feared for my life because I'm a Muslim/Pakistani. I vividly remember 9/11 and going to work that day. I was apprehensive about the reaction I might get from others. No one said a negative word to me. On the contrary, many of my co-workers came up to me individually and wanted to make sure that I was OK and not being targeted by someone. Also, Pakistan was not in the radar of most Americans after 9/11. It was "Muslims" in general that were the topic of conversation. Pakistan has only become the hot topic in the past 5 years or so.

The US is not perfect and Muslims are certainly under suspicion and may face some cases of discrimination. However, the overwhelming majority of the time they are treated with respect and dignity. Compare that with the treatment of minorities in Pakistan and other Muslim countries and it becomes clear who's morally superior. Frankly, if you want to see the best parts of Islam in actual practice, come live in the US. In terms of openly and proudly practicing your religion, respecting the rights of its citizens, and giving everyone the opportunity to better their own life, the US puts any other Muslim country to shame.

+1

A little OT, but I loved the video below that some university students made in Pakistan. Can't help but smile at their enthusiasm, vibrancy, and corny (yet effective) choreography to pop tunes!

IoBM LipDub 2011

Really nice video showcasing a Pakistani uni campus and the creative talent of Pak students. Thanks for the upload Fusion, made me smile.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    Oh please. That was a pathetic article and comment posted by Smali. Of course Muslims in general faced discrimination and some isolated cases of hate crimes after 9/11. It was not prevalent and certainly not bad enough for anyone to fear detention camps or change identities! I've lived in this country for more than 22 years and I've never once feared for my life because I'm a Muslim/Pakistani. I vividly remember 9/11 and going to work that day. I was apprehensive about the reaction I might get from others. No one said a negative word to me. On the contrary, many of my co-workers came up to me individually and wanted to make sure that I was OK and not being targeted by someone. Also, Pakistan was not in the radar of most Americans after 9/11. It was "Muslims" in general that were the topic of conversation. Pakistan has only become the hot topic in the past 5 years or so.

The US is not perfect and Muslims are certainly under suspicion and may face some cases of discrimination. However, the overwhelming majority of the time they are treated with respect and dignity. Compare that with the treatment of minorities in Pakistan and other Muslim countries and it becomes clear who's morally superior. Frankly, if you want to see the best parts of Islam in actual practice, come live in the US. In terms of openly and proudly practicing your religion, respecting the rights of its citizens, and giving everyone the opportunity to better their own life, the US puts any other Muslim country to shame.
    where has the discussion veered to?

Dude, I don't live in the US (but apparently that guy does) so I thought he might have some basic understanding of issues. Didn't know that guy was a bit OTT.

I thought you were trying to be part of the American society and it was becoming difficult for you because of those monsters hence you were averse to being critical of anything in American foreign policy. Even uttering the word talks wrt to "the monsters" was anathema to you so I thought there might be something wrong at the back end. Interesting news coming up though

Secret US-Taliban talks reach turning point - World news - South and Central Asia - Afghanistan - msnbc.com

Secret U.S. talks with Taliban reach critical juncture as U.S. considers transfer of Gitmo prisoners to Afghan custody | Mail Online

Yours and Faisal's views are quite different. Maybe each of you got to face very different people so don't be hating on that Washington Diary guy
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Land, police departments viewed as most corrupt: survey | Newspaper | DAWN.COM

itstl

education is the least corrupt dept despite being quite corrupt. Sorry state of affairs this.

One thing I don't really get is why is Imran saying he will end corruption in 90 days. I am a big Imran supporter but this claim sounds outlandish at best

Also a bit of reading for the bbz supporters. A history of the party supporter

The jiyala: A political and spiritual history | | DAWN.COM

International Debutant salman85's Avatar
    Btw,if any of you are interested in a kickass documentary :

Secret BBC - Pakistan Double Cross on Terrorism - Full - YouTube

I probably may get a lot of crap for this,but this documentary makes me like Musharraf and the ISI even more.And no,i'm not anti-US or anything.

lol

*cough* inside job *cough cough*
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba
    If Shoiab starts throwing his jockstrap around, they're all going to catch something

Accidental Founder of the Fawad Alam Appreciation Society!

Slowfinger - An active member of CricketWeb for 5 years and counting!

Compare that with the treatment of minorities in Pakistan and other Muslim countries and it becomes clear who's morally superior. Frankly, if you want to see the best parts of Islam in actual practice, come live in the US. In terms of openly and proudly practicing your religion, respecting the rights of its citizens, and giving everyone the opportunity to better their own life, the US puts any other Muslim country to shame.
    I cannot emphasise this enough. I really cannot.

3 Card Poker Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by salman85 View Post
    Btw,if any of you are interested in a kickass documentary :

Secret BBC - Pakistan Double Cross on Terrorism - Full - YouTube

I probably may get a lot of crap for this,but this documentary makes me like Musharraf and the ISI even more.And no,i'm not anti-US or anything.
    This was a cartoon that appeared in the Times of India depicting this state of affairs sometime around 2003! Looks like the truth has finally dawned on the US 8 years later.

Page 51 of 136 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast

Thread Information