Cricket Player Manager
Page 15 of 151 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: The Official Pakistan Politics thread

International Coach Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Great stuff Faisal's village, keep up the good work

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    I don't think that you can do that in the parliamentary system. In the presidential system the president can hand pick any one that he wants in order to join his cabinet. IIRC In the parliamentary system the cabinet comes from MPs only which means he will have to be elected from some place.
    In the United States, the President nominates his cabinet choices and the Senate has to confirm them via a majority vote. The Senate does give the President a lot of leeway in who he selects though. Unless the person is a very controversial figure, they will usually get confirmed with ease.

In the UK, the Prime minister selects the cabinet positions and they have to be MP's.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    yes the UK is the model of the parliamentary system and the US the model for the presidential system that is followed around the world
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    personally I like the American system better

Same. Our system is outdated.

Smali, did you praise something American?!?! I almost want to sig this line!!

International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    I don't think that you can do that in the parliamentary system. In the presidential system the president can hand pick any one that he wants in order to join his cabinet. IIRC In the parliamentary system the cabinet comes from MPs only which means he will have to be elected from some place.
    Yes initially he has to be elected from some place but at the end its if Imran is the PM he can hand pick his cabinet from elected members.
    BE AFRIDI!
    Be VERY AFRIDI!!

Personally I think the Presidential system would work so much better in Pakistan.

Simon Champion!
    Agree in Indian terms.Mentioned it before too, Especially for a country as varied culturally/linguistically from place to place and Vast like India.

But both had to copy the system from our Colonial masters FFS!!
    Last edited by Cevno; 11-11-2011 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cevno View Post
    Agree in Indian terms. Especially, for a country as varied culturally/linguistically from place to place like India.

But we had to copy the system from our Colonial masters FFS!!
    Not only the political system but in Pakistan, the educational system, the military system is also the same as the Colonial British. At least India has its own educational system, I don't know about the military ranking system of India...

Simon Champion!
    Doesn't Pakistan have a second house of Parliament?

In India we have a Rajya Sabha, where the MP'S are nominated by the state legislatures and thus don't need to win a popular election to become a minister. Lok Sabha, is the house where the directly elected MP'S go and they can obviously be included in the government too.
    Britain has 2 houses, i.e House of Lords and House of commons too.

Even the current Indian Prime Minister hasn't won a major popular election ever.

Edit - Just checked, and even though probably Imran doesn't have that many State Legislature members right now, he can be nominated to the Senate theoretically and become a minister?
    Last edited by Cevno; 11-11-2011 at 03:15 PM.

Simon Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Faisal1985 View Post
    Not only the political system but in Pakistan, the educational system, the military system is also the same as the Colonial British. At least India has its own educational system, I don't know about the military ranking system of India...
    India's Military Ranking system is more or less copied from the British and commonwealth countries too. But that hasn't been a problem in India so far AFAIK.

The article linked below is one of the best written opinion pieces on Imran I have read so far. Don't worry, it's not (just) an Imran bash piece. The author raises a question I have often wondered myself: why do liberals support Imran? It seems extremely contradictory to me for any liberal to support him, yet there is no denying that he has a large segment of them behind him. The author points out the failure of Pakistan's other political parties and Imran's corruption-free record is the driving force behind Imran's support (something that many of you have also stated here). The closing paragraphs perfectly sum up my feelings on the issue:

Yes, you will be correct to argue that ideologically there is a difference between PTI and liberal parties. But in practice, everyone is behaving the same. And when that happens, you will find liberals crying at Minar-e-Pakistan while waving a PTI flag.

I don’t agree with their decision but I don’t blame them for taking it. I don’t agree with reactionaries who take over mainstream politics but I understand why they do it. Now that some of them have joined PTI, I can only hope that Imran starts softening his rhetoric on some critical issues. These are strange times.

Why some liberals are supporting Imran Khan

In the British Parliamentary system, the upper house (House of Lords) is the most useless house. The Lower house (House of Commons) can force the Lords to agree on legislation, which then the Queen has to sign (our head of state - equivalent to President).

Thread Information