Page 121 of 145 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122123131 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,815 of 2171
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: The Official Pakistan Politics thread

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    A lawmaker from Imran Khan’s party demands release of Governor Salman Taseer’s murderer

That savage killed Governor Taseer in cold blood in the name of defending Islam. That a lawmaker would demand the release of an admitted terrorist is astonishing. It’s not enough for Imran and PTI to distance from his statements. They should kick him out of the party or at the very least demand that he issue a public apology to Taseer’s family and to the people of Pakistan.
    What a savage. Not surprised Pak people voted for him.
    Last edited by Agent Nationaux; 21-06-2013 at 11:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    Not surprised Pak people voted for him.
    I can’t express properly how disconcerting it is that the killer was hailed as a hero and showered with rose petals. I simply can’t comprehend that mentality.

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    I can’t express properly how disconcerting it is that the killer was hailed as a hero and showered with rose petals. I simply can’t comprehend that mentality.
    Lack of education is the problem. These people are backwards, and will continue to have this mentality until education reforms are introduced into the country so that the next generation gets educated. But do the corrupt politicians want education reforms or do they prefer these people to carry on voting for them based on feudalism.

Can you imagine, that a country like Pakistan in 2013 has still not escaped the shackles of feudalism!!!!! It's mind boggling.
    Last edited by Agent Nationaux; 22-06-2013 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    Lack of education is the problem. These people are backwards, and will continue to have this mentality until education reforms are introduced into the country so that the next generation gets educated. But do the corrupt politicians want education reforms or do they prefer these people to carry on voting for them?
    I don't know if we can entirely blame a lack of education. Remember, Taseer's killer was showered by rose petals by educated lawyers. If even educated, custodians of the law are willing to glorify and hail a brutal terrorist, then there's something rotten at the core of our society. This lawmaker calling for the killer's release is just further example of how ingrained this mentality is within our system.

The tilt towards extremism started in the 1980's with General Zia's efforts to transform Pakistan from a secular to an extremist Islamist society. Unfortunately it will take a generation or more to transform
    the mindset back to normalcy.

Nadeem F. Paracha’s latest installment of “Also Pakistan” unearths some more gems.

European tourists take a walk at Lahore’s Shalimar Gardens, 1966.

A bar, restaurant and ballroom in Swat, 1970.

The famous Taj Mahel Cinema in Karachi, 1970. It was torn down and turned into an apartment block in the 1980s.

A tourist tries to navigate a treacherous road in Dir, 1972, in the former NWFP. (There's no way this guy survived! Crazy).

Natives of a Sindhi village drench a European tourist with cold water from a well to beat the summer heat (1973).

Western tourists wait at a bus stand in Sibi, Balochistan (1975).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Some more:

One of the first batches of the ‘Afghan Mujahideen’ arrives in the tribal areas of Pakistan, 1980.

Front page of the (now defunct) Pakistani English daily, The Muslim. It has a photo and story on the Pope’s first ever visit of Pakistan in 1981. The Pope held a rally at Karachi’s National Stadium.

Future US President, Barak Obama with a Pakistani friend in Karachi in 1982.

Western tourists near the Attock Bridge in Punjab in 1982.

Imran in short shorts!! That stud muffin.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

ambitious but a step in the right direction.

Loadshedding to end by ?17 - DAWN.COM

It has only been about 2 months that this govt came into power but the general opinion on governance is that far from perfect, but they are much better than the Zardari and Co group of bandits

Wasn't sure where exactly to put this story but I would never quite understand exactly what Diana saw in Dr Hasnat Khan that she was willing to do so much for him?

Diana wanted to move to Pakistan, says Jemima Khan ? The Express Tribune

Can't be the physical features for sure. Maybe the last line of the article is telling

Vanity Fair revealed that when Hasnat was contacted by film-makers to share how his life with Diana was, he refused to cooperate, remaining very much the man Diana once described him to be, to a friend — “the one person who will never sell me out.”

Imran asked to appear in court........he is appearing personally tomorrow and refuses to back down from his stance

Contempt: Imran says he committed no mistake, willing to go to jail ? The Express Tribune

A very interesting piece arguing that Pakistan always was and still is liberal but only for the elites

Sixty-six shades of green - DAWN.COM

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    A very interesting piece arguing that Pakistan always was and still is liberal but only for the elites

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post

that's not what the article's saying though.

I believe that this 'display of liberalism' did not imply that the Pakistani society was making progress by pursuing a liberal political discourse. It only meant that the country's callous elite had successfully insulated itself from every aspect of the commoners’ lives. They were born to our Colonial masters and continued to live like them, and to hate everything indigenous. And yes, please do factor in a small middle class as well whose only excellence was in mimicking the elite, howsoever idiotic that may have looked.

I have no problems with the moral side of these amusing 'displays of liberalism'. My concern is that the romanticisation of this period of our history has started to pretend as an alternative political ideology, which I find flawed, misleading and even dangerous. Liberalism is a political philosophy. Pakistan was never a liberal country. It was always poised to outdo the worst of a liberal political workers' nightmares. Its elite's culture was Colonial or western. This had no bearing on their tyrannical politics and should not be mistaken as political liberalism.
    liberalism, as a political ideology, is distinct from what the author terms "displays of liberalism." his point is that the trappings of a seemingly tolerant and hedonistic lifestyle afforded to the privileged should not be confused with an underlying socio-political liberal democratic framework.

true, you put it much more eloquently than my not so carefully chosen words

Tensions high on the India-Pakistan border.

Happy Independence Day Pakistan! These are not the best of times. The vision of what Pakistan should and could’ve been by Jinnah has not been achieved…yet. There’s still a reason to hope. Through all the wars, violence, corruption, extremism, the people of Pakistan endure and survive. They are a resilient group, full of talent not yet realized. I pray that my birth nation will finally find peace and prosperity, and become a modern and tolerant nation that it should be.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Agent Nationaux likes this.

Thread Information