Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dubai's Migrant Workers

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar

Dubai's Migrant Workers

Migrant Workers from South East Asia are facing horrible conditions in Dubai, where they are lured for high paying labour jobs and then once they arrive, their passports are confiscated and they are treated like slaves.

The news might be old but nothing has happened to change this system.

What are your views on the issue? And if you have further insights into this situation, please share.

BBC NEWS | South Asia | Migrants' woes in Dubai worker camps

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    Migrant Workers from South East Asia are facing horrible conditions in Dubai, where they are lured for high paying labour jobs and then once they arrive, their passports are confiscated and they are treated like slaves.

The news might be old but nothing has happened to change this system.

What are your views on the issue? And if you have further insights into this situation, please share.

BBC NEWS | South Asia | Migrants' woes in Dubai worker camps
    I have done extensive work on this subject for a project and it is really a horrific situation. What is worse is that the whole Islamic Community talks about the Muslim Brotherhood and how the Middle East is the leader of Islamic community of the world.

Dubai and many other middle eastern countries engage in heavy child trafficking from the poor muslim inhabited countries (mainly from South Asia ) and use them as Camel Jockeys. I know it was made illegal in Dubai, but it is still going on, what they do in Dubai and other middle eastern countries is way beyond from being inhuman.

UAE pays out to former child camel jockeys - 22 May 09 - YouTube

That's brutal. As you said AN, its no secret (you don't go from a city of nothing to a city like Dubai in only a few decades without some cheap and poorly treated labour workers) but Sanz' links is fairly disturbing reading.

I was just in Dubai for a couple of days on Tuesday and Wednesday coincidentally.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

There is no such thing as Muslim Brotherhood. It might exist amongst the common and ordinary people, but in terms of government action it does not exist.

I also heard about the camel jockeys Sanz and it's brutal and disgusting.

Dubai based products should be boycotted because of this.

It's one step away from slavery and completely outrageous. The majority of the migrant workers are from the sub-continent. The fact that none of the countries that these workers belong to have the balls to say/do something is just pathetic. Sure, sell your people and your souls for a barrel of oil. Mind you, these same countries are the first to express outrage against the West for all forms of supposed atrocities/crimes commited against their people. Yet there is nothing but praise and love for the neighbors two doors down that are enslaving and exploiting the most vulnerable of their masses.

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    It's one step away from slavery and completely outrageous. The majority of the migrant workers are from the sub-continent. The fact that none of the countries that these workers belong to have the balls to say/do something is just pathetic. Sure, sell your people and your souls for a barrel of oil. Mind you, these same countries are the first to express outrage against the West for all forms of supposed atrocities/crimes commited against their people. Yet there is nothing but praise and love for the neighbors two doors down that are enslaving and exploiting the most vulnerable of their masses.
    Pretty much sums up my feeling. Many of the these countries have agents working in the many South Asian cities. The best seasons for these agents is whenever there is a natural calamity.

Agree with what you said Fusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    That's brutal. As you said AN, its no secret (you don't go from a city of nothing to a city like Dubai in only a few decades without some cheap and poorly treated labour workers) but Sanz' links is fairly disturbing reading.
    Cheap and poorly treated labor is perhaps okay but what Dubai indulges in is very similar to forced slavery. Their agents recruit people in the South Asia and some Far East countries, promising them nice jobs, when these people show up, their passports are confiscated and they are forced to work as bonded labors.

Slavery and Deception In Dubai - YouTube

And some of them, even if they want to go back, they can't because they have nowhere to goto, they spent all they had to come to Dubai to fulfill their dreams. Dubai is a disgrace and every time someone talks about how great a place it is, it just makes me very very angry.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    Cheap and poorly treated labor is perhaps okay but what Dubai indulges in is very similar to forced slavery. Their agents recruit people in the South Asia and some Far East countries, promising them nice jobs, when these people show up, their passports are confiscated and they are forced to work as bonded labors.

Slavery and Deception In Dubai - YouTube

And some of them, even if they want to go back, they can't because they have nowhere to goto, they spent all they had to come to Dubai to fulfill their dreams. Dubai is a disgrace and every time someone talks about how great a place it is, it just makes me very very angry.
    By "their", I assume you mean the company that employs them rather than the Dubai or UAE government because the latter rarely happens

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    By "their", I assume you mean the company that employs them rather than the Dubai or UAE government because the latter rarely happens
    I knew someone who has lived in Dubai was going to bring this up but tell me whenever someone goes to report to the UAE police about the child/human trafficking, the police takes immediate action, don't they ?

You may not agree but those who indulge in Child trafficking, labor violations, women abuse are the sheikhs who are part of the family that rules the region. They are involved in all these human crimes directly or indirectly.

Top Video of '09: Secret Torture Tapes Revealed | Video - ABC News

UAE: Sheikh?s Trial Insufficient to Stop Torture | Human Rights Watch

Banned
    to be honest pakistan is no better, here in karachi i see daily how the poor labours mostly (pashtuns) are treated by others. This problem exists pretty much in all third world countries, its a mentality thing. Dubai might be rich, but their mentality is third world still.

The difference between Dubai and Pakistan is that the Emiraties are treating foreigners this way (taking their passports away so they can't quit and leave). In Pakistan those people are free to leave if they don't want the employment, despite the horrible working conditions.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    I had seen that segment on HBO before- it's sickening.

I did not know about the Sheikh but it's not surprising - people in power in many countries such as those (and includes the subcontinent) get away with truly horrific things. Though thankfully in India things have improved so that if there were such an incident, the perpetrator would certainly goto jail no matter who it was. I generally hate the Indian media but they'd be all over this for months if it was caught on tape.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information