Cricket Player Manager
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dubai's Migrant Workers

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Just went through all the links here and I'm shaken to say the least.. don't even know what to think
    Must be a normal feeling for you
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    Must be a normal feeling for you
    Yeah I have that problem at times because unlike you I don't think in smilies

International Coach Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    That is definitely one of the best comebacks to Smali the SmileyShah

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Yeah I have that problem at times because unlike you I don't think in smilies

Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    I knew someone who has lived in Dubai was going to bring this up but tell me whenever someone goes to report to the UAE police about the child/human trafficking, the police takes immediate action, don't they ?

You may not agree but those who indulge in Child trafficking, labor violations, women abuse are the sheikhs who are part of the family that rules the region. They are involved in all these human crimes directly or indirectly.

Top Video of '09: Secret Torture Tapes Revealed | Video - ABC News

UAE: Sheikh?s Trial Insufficient to Stop Torture | Human Rights Watch
    People get convicted all the time - literally

Your second paragraph is just nonsense and akin to making a Head of State responsible for any crime that takes place in their country.

Obviously Dubai is far from perfect but it is improving (new "labour camps" of companies like Nakheel and Aldar are more like resorts)

BTW, workers in the UAE need to be sponsored by a local entity to obtain a visa.

The sponsor then becomes responsible for all actions of the employee including debts and crimes.

As such, those at the lower levels have their passports retained by the sponsor to ensure that they dont skip out on their obligations leaving the sponsor to foot the bill
    Last edited by social; 08-09-2011 at 06:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post

Your second paragraph is just nonsense and akin to making a Head of State responsible for any crime that takes place in their country.

Obviously Dubai is far from perfect but it is improving (new "labour camps" of companies like Nakheel and Aldar are more like resorts)

BTW, workers in the UAE need to be sponsored by a local entity to obtain a visa.

The sponsor then becomes responsible for all actions of the employee including debts and crimes.

As such, those at the lower levels have their passports retained by the sponsor to ensure that they dont skip out on their obligations leaving the sponsor to foot the bill
    Interesting points that you raise Social. Especially the last one. Didn't know about that one.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Lol passports "retained"
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

What's the difference between passports retained and forced stay.

Tbf to Dubai they wouldn't be able to control their country if they didn't keep extremely strong checks. After all the local population is less than a fourth of the total population I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    You don't read very well, Do you ? The first sentence in the news report is :-

"Update: Sheikh Issa bin Zayed al-Nahyan was acquitted on Sunday of charges related to the abuse of an Afghan merchant."

In a theocratic state, where government is watching your every step. it is easily possible that the Government (may or may not include the head of the state) knows everything.

Tbf to Dubai they wouldn't be able to control their country if they didn't keep extremely strong checks. After all the local population is less than a fourth of the total population I suppose.
    Are they scared of the overseas workers bludgeoning the locals to death with their passports? Confiscation of the passport has no other purpose but to ensure that the right to termination of employment remains solely with the employer. It allows the employer to exploit the worker as he sees fit. Don't let anyone fool you on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

Retaining passports to ensure the workers donít run off is such a ridiculous argument. You donít get to own a personís life just because they work for you. Tough cookies if Dubaiís laws hold you responsible for your workerís debt. Donít bring them over here if you canít afford the risk. The ďriskĒ doesnít entitle you to enslave and exploit the vulnerable.

Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    Are they scared of the overseas workers bludgeoning the locals to death with their passports? Confiscation of the passport has no other purpose but to ensure that the right to termination of employment remains solely with the employer. It allows the employer to exploit the worker as he sees fit. Don't let anyone fool you on that.
    I was speaking about generally the strict system that they have and not the passport retention in particular. They are generally quite strict there in Dubai from what I hear. Of course passport retention can easily lead to exploitation. It may in fact also be a strategy to make sure that the workers don't move off to another company after a company has "invested" in them and brought them over.

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    Retaining passports to ensure the workers don’t run off is such a ridiculous argument. You don’t get to own a person’s life just because they work for you. Tough cookies if Dubai’s laws hold you responsible for your worker’s debt. Don’t bring them over here if you can’t afford the risk. The “risk” doesn’t entitle you to enslave and exploit the vulnerable.
    I am quite surprised at this coming from you. Considering that you don't seem to mind strings attached debt. You can apply the same principles here and say "the workers can choose not to go and stay in their own countries. Nobody is forcing them to go"
    Last edited by smalishah84; 08-09-2011 at 01:54 PM.

I am quite surprised at this coming from you. Considering that you don't seem to mind strings attached debt. You can apply the same principles here and say "the workers can choose not to go and stay in their own countries. Nobody is forcing them to go"
    Are you seriously comparing aid being given to Pakistan the State with a job offer being extended to a starving worker in some small village? You do understand that while the aid to Pakistan comes with strings attached, it doesn’t have to be paid back and Pakistan can reject the offer anytime. The worse that can happen is Pakistan doesn’t get the money and has economic hits like defaulting on loan obligations, lack of money for infrastructure, defense etc. Now let’s compare it to these workers. Once they are there, they can’t go back. They can’t say “I don’t want your job anymore, I’ll go back home and starve but I don’t want to be your filthy slave”. They don’t have that choice. Without their passports, they’re stuck there and must endure whatever hardships these “generous” employers throw their way. If that means working 18 hour days, 7 days a week, in scorching heat, for pennies, so be it. If that means your employer wants to whip you, rape you, or even kill you, so be it. There is nothing you can do about it. I sincerely hope you can understand the distinction between my stance towards “aid” to Pakistan and what these desperately poor people are having to endure in that hell hole called Dubai.

lol, Smali and Fusion at it again.

I'm afraid I will have to go along with Fusion this time Smali.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information