Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Islam a religion?

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar

Is Islam a religion?

Religious Freedom: Tenn. Court Affirms That Isn?t Just For Christians Any More The Wall of Separation

Plaintiffs ask if Islam is a religion in mosque trial on The Murfreesboro Post

Apparently some idiots in Tennessee don't think so. I am surprised the lawsuit wasn't immediately dismissed as frivolous.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

It's amazing levels of fail.

"Presidents as far back as Lincoln and Jefferson, and as recent as President George W. Bush, have publicly recognized Islam as one of the world's largest religions," U.S. Attorney Jerry Martin stated in a press conference on Monday.

Brandon took issue with the federal government's position in his questioning of county commissioners he called as witnesses.

"The federal government cited Thomas Jefferson in their press conference, and he owned slaves," Brandon asserted to Commissioner Gary Farley. "Is that who they want to cite as an authority?"
    Leaving aside the hilarious ad hominem, yes. That's exactly what you do. You are American. You have been living by the constitution Jefferson and the other slave owners penned your entire life. May as well not obey any of it, really.

"Sharia law includes instruction on how to beat your wife," Brandon told Burgess on the witness stand. "How is Sharia law going to affect our society, our jobs and our freedoms?"
    Oh man it's a good job the Bible doesn't instruct you on things like stoning women who aren't virgins, murdering homosexuals, how to conduct a slave trade, or we'd have big problems.
    'It seems that perfection is attained, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away.'

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Hilarious about the Jefferson part. Was that guy a Federalist?

Is Graeme Swann a religion?

SS to reply.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

CNN did a whole special on the Murfreesboro Mosque issue. It's really a fascinating watch. If you are so interested (part 4 focuses on the trial, where the nutcase lawyer tries to argue that Islam isn't a religion):

CNN Special: Unwelcome: Muslims Next Door (Part 1)

CNN Special: Unwelcome: Muslims Next Door (Part 2)

CNN Special: Unwelcome: Muslims Next Door (Part 3)

CNN Special: Unwelcome: Muslims Next Door (Part 4)

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Nah man, it's an attitood.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

cpr
    You know, reading this made me realise something else: The reason why some American's believe in Creationism....

Its because people like this are the strong exception to the Darwinist norm.

****ing morons. If it wasnt so laughable I'd be worried.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Wouldn't the answer depend on how exactly is religion defined?
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Because Sharia Law is obviously going to be implemented if one mosque is built.

Hold s***! The entire world must be under Sharia Law then, given most countries have mosques in them..

****ing idiots..
    My sworn enemy:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I hate s smith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I give out points for style of which Steve(n) Smith has none.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Jobs? That was the funniest part.

3 Card Poker Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    Wouldn't the answer depend on how exactly is religion defined?
    It wouldn't depend on the definition of religion - Rather it would depend on a theory of religion. For example, whether a given substance is an acid or not depends not on what definition of acid one subscribes to but on a theory of acids. The problem is today there is no good theory of religion and no attempt to develop one. So people have their pet definitions/ideas about what religion is based on their assumptions about which phenomena in the world count as 'religion'.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shankar View Post
    It wouldn't depend on the definition of religion - Rather it would depend on a theory of religion. For example, whether a given substance is an acid or not depends not on what definition of acid one subscribes to but on a theory of acids. The problem is today there is no good theory of religion and no attempt to develop one. So people have their pet definitions/ideas about what religion is based on their assumptions about which phenomena in the world count as 'religion'.
    I don't quite understand your "theory and not definition of acids" analogy. Can you shed more light on this. I think what i might be referring to as definition might be what you are referring to as theory.

3 Card Poker Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    I don't quite understand your "theory and not definition of acids" analogy. Can you shed more light on this. I think what i might be referring to as definition might be what you are referring to as theory.
    The difference between a definition and a theory is that a definition is not subject to any constraints - you can give whatever definition you like. So each person gives a definition according to his/her assumptions and pre-conceived notions. No one is under any compulsion to modify their definition. A theory about what the phenomenon of religion is would have certain implications/consequences. Now we can then see how these implied consequences match up against the real world. If these implied consequences do not obtain in the world then the theory has to be modified or thrown out for an alternate theory. At present the discussion in the social sciences is about definitions (and hence stagnant) and there is no good theory of religion (except one).

3 Card Poker Champion!
    To make it clearer: See the weirdness of this way of talking about religion. Imagine that we want to answer the question: "Is ice water or not?". No one would answer this question with "Well, that depends on your definition of water!". Because that would be silly. The question is about the world and the answer to it cannot depend on people's individual definitions. However when it comes to religion, the same answer is not seen as silly.

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    What is that one good theory of religion?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information