Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: St George's Day, that royal wedding, and the anthem

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Turbs

Quality from both
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Bun
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    More navel gazing from an ossified, has-been nation.

Banned
    Big deal! Let ITV pay upkeep for the royal family, then, and not me....

My objection is this: I dislike my taxes going towards maintaining an antiquated monarchy in a society which is supposed to be a meritocracy. But, most Brits seem to be happy with the monarchy, so it's not going to disappear any time soon.

There's not much anti-monarchists can do, except don't watch the royal wedding, and refuse to sing the national anthem, which I've already vowed to do, despite the Queen's scowl at Turbs....

Also, on Saturday, I will have family and friends around for a BBQ, which we will celebrate as Easter Saturday, and not the fictional St George's Day. At least the mythical Jesus Christ seems a better prospect than the mythical St George, whose cross was used to justify the Crusaders' bloody slaughter of Muslims in the Middle East.

I stand corrected on St Edmund. I have to look up more about him, and when his 'feast' day is. He sounds more 'English' than St George....

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Quote Originally Posted by shivfan View Post

My objection is this: I dislike my taxes going towards maintaining an antiquated monarchy in a society which is supposed to be a meritocracy. But, most Brits seem to be happy with the monarchy, so it's not going to disappear any time soon.

There's not much anti-monarchists can do, except don't watch the royal wedding, and refuse to sing the national anthem, which I've already vowed to do, despite the Queen's scowl at Turbs....

Also, on Saturday, I will have family and friends around for a BBQ, which we will celebrate as Easter Saturday, and not the fictional St George's Day. At least the mythical Jesus Christ seems a better prospect than the mythical St George, whose cross was used to justify the Crusaders' bloody slaughter of Muslims in the Middle East.

I stand corrected on St Edmund. I have to look up more about him, and when his 'feast' day is. He sounds more 'English' than St George....

U19 Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Blake & Parry's Jerusalem would get my vote.
    Yeah but who'd have the balls to tell the WI they have to give it up?

Request Your Custom Title Now! Howe_zat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shivfan View Post

Or, just have a barbie with your friends and enjoy yourself? Only real need to worry about what occasion it is if you're supposed to be somewhere else.

I'm not going to watch the wedding, I didn't watch the Strictly Come Dancing either, and as far as I'm concerned they have roughly equal merit as an engaging piece of entertainment.

As for the St George myth, since when has any form of nationalism been rational?
    Join the CW Commentary Discord - https://discord.gg/2cYpfrf

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    Shiv, you're a good guy and an admirable leftist mate (or comrade ) but your points here have been pedantic at best.

Saint George is irrelevant from a secular view, so why care? The star/sun/mail etc provoke more nationalism in a week then St George's day does annually and a lot of the nationalism surrounding the day also comes from this 'media'

The monarchy of today know that Britain won't let an unelected monarch call the shots, and that's why they stay apolitical. And tbh, I'd rather they concern themselves with snobbish gossip than get involved in government. As for the wedding, who's it actually hurting?

The national anthem's also irellevant in retrospect. Though I agree that I'd prefer Land of Hope and Glory. But from a secular view, it also has big religious themes: 'God who made the miiiiiightyyyyyyy.'

All in all, there are more pressing issues to work on.
    Everyone wants to change the world, noone wants to change himself.

-Tolstoy

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    GSTQ is awful, yes.

I always replace "Queen" with "team" when I sing it at Twickers.

Blake & Parry's Jerusalem would get my vote.
    Jerusalem is in Israel ffs.

Be like us having a national anthem called "Buenos Aires".
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

"Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don't exude morality." - Bob Hawke

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Better than the pile of ****e you currently have.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Yeah, no question. But even AAF is a step up from GSTQ.

Though I'm no fan of our anthem at all. It's horrible.

Yeah, you guys should definitely just play Waltzing Matilda instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Yeah, you guys should definitely just play Waltzing Matilda instead.
    No.

While getting pissed and having a barbeque.

Waltzing Matilda holds a unique place in Australia. It's quintessentially Australian. You can be anywhere on earth and hear it, and you immediately think of home.

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information