Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Computer Geeks:

Sounds like a problem with the HDD. Google Widows XP blue screen. I had to replace my HDD once when I had the same problem.
    This was a serious post:

Quote Originally Posted by Blocky View Post
    As for Sharma, sorry but he's the only Indian bowler outside of Khan who has consistently managed to take wickets away from home and trouble good batsman. Shami looks highly promising but India don't have better seam options than Sharma at the moment in test cricket. Quite simple.
    RIP Craigos. Owe you a beer.:(

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/2186298-post7381.html

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shri View Post
    Sounds like a problem with the HDD. Google Widows XP blue screen. I had to replace my HDD once when I had the same problem.
    But it works perfectly with Ubuntu.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Been dual-booting Win/Unix/Linux for many years now, have destroyed a few hard-drives along the way so I feel your pain Benchy.

If you're trying to do a clean install of Windows as per that last link and you're getting blue-screened, either;

1) The primary and/or extended partition table(s) on the hard-drive is ****ed
    2) The Master Boot Record (MBR) is ****ed
    3) Hard-drive has bad sectors
    4) The WinXP CD is indeed ****ed (not that likely I reckon)

Most L/Unix's can install over a bad MBR so that it was able to isn't noteworthy. Can cause some weird hard-drive behaviour down the track, though.

A few options in increasing order of ****tiness and it depends on exactly what's wrong;

a) Use Partition Magic or something similar on someone else's machine to make a boot disk. It'll run a basic version of Partition Magic to rejuvenate the MBR/partition table before trying to install WinXP again. Sometimes just doing this can solve the problem

b) Use a live version of Linux (Knoppix, Ubuntu, etc.) which will run off a CD/USB flash drive. Use that to run a check on the hard-drive for bad sectors and then do both a destructive partition/format AND low-level format and then re-install Windows. I can't remember the name of the tools in Ubuntu, haven't used it in a while but you should be able to find one or the main partitioning program which does a check on the HDD.

Bad sectors = new hard-drive in my experience. Some software companies claim you can fix them, generally they're bollox. Some software can make the hard-drive work for a time but eventually you'll need a new one.

c) Take to a shop.

If you haven't done stuff like a) or b), do c). It's not that complex to try to fix the problems (assuming no bad sectors) but without experience, can take hours to figure it out and there are heaps of pitfalls which can take longer to get out of. I'd say unless you're a die-hard DIY-type, not really worth the effort.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 13-04-2011 at 12:04 AM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Maybe if you format the harddrive before putting the Windows cd in.

Use an ubuntu live cd or a gparted cd to format the hard drive and then try installing windows.

Cheers for your help ****s.

Reckon I might take it in to the shop, make them deal with it. Sent an email to the IT gimps at work, they had no idea what was going on.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Why do you all do this ****, with ubuntu, zulu, masai or whatever it's called - sounds like a ****ing African tribe. Just buy a ****ing laptop/ PC or whatever, run windows on the ****ing thing like the rest of normal humanity and be ****ing well done with it!

Jesus Christ - why do you need this ****? Just have Windows - the whole bloody world uses it. Computer snobbery rivalling music snobbery here now. Dire.

Who gives a ****, as long as you can log onto CW, get emails and look at p0rn? What else are computers for anyway?
    Last edited by Burgey; 13-04-2011 at 12:13 AM.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Why do you all do this ****, with ubuntu, zulu, masai or whatever it's called - sounds like a ****ing African tribe. Just buy a ****ing laptop/ PC or whatever, run windows on the ****ing thing like the rest of normal humanity and be ****ing well done with it!

Jesus Christ - why do you need this ****? Just have Windows - the whole bloody world uses it. Computer snobbery rivalling music snobbery here now. Dire.

Who gives a ****, as long as you can log onto CW, get emails and look at p0rn? What else are computers for anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

I don't like the bloke, but he has a point.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!

Keep up with the times bro. These days its all about being a hipster

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    I'm touched there's an indian person out there that wants to ruin my computer.
    Have you posted a gif that offended Sachin?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Loving how I pick Murphy for the Members' Draft and he feigns a computer crash in order not to post and spite me.

WAC he is.

International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    more an IT Geeks thread than a Computer Geek one

vcs
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post

Top_Cat has said it all, basically.

I need it for my uni work :P
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread Information