View Poll Results: Do you support gay marriage?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

53 69.74%
  • No, but civil unions

10 13.16%
  • No, just unregistered co-existance

1 1.32%
  • No, ban homosexuality!

3 3.95%
  • Gay? Isn't that a synonym for happy?

9 11.84%
Page 9 of 43 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Gay marriage views?

One curious thing is the way gay couples, specifically, are excluded from adoption. In many jurisdictions (such as New Zealand, for example) it's perfectly legal for a single parent to adopt a child when the gay couple can't. The odd thing about this is that you clearly can't "check" if the single person is gay or not, or whether they will later enter a long term relationship.
    Last edited by Howe_zat; 07-03-2011 at 03:02 PM.
    And we still haven't walked in the glow of each other's majestic presence.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Haha, that is a bit odd
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    It's not odd, it's absolutely outrageous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Haha, I almost didn't do it. And when I did, I had to go and take a shower. Twice. I sure hope I don't have to do it again.
    I'm sure I'll feel the need to shower twice if we ever meet, tbh.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 07-03-2011 at 03:11 PM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad View Post

Incidentally I don't think the state should be involved in marriage in any way at all. If the church wants to have a ceremony and only let straight couples or people with blonde hair or people named Julio or whatever participate and they call it marriage, that's their business. Once the state is involved, you offer every couple the same title for their married state, as well as the same legal rights, or it's discrimination.
    This is an outstanding point. For all those that think that “marriage” should be defined as the union of one man and one woman, they should strongly lobby to get the state out of the marriage business altogether. For as long as the state is involved, then there can be no differential between the union of homo or hetrosexual couples. Individuals or groups can make those distinctions, the state should not.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbacks View Post
    Have always been a supporter of civil unions but as time passes my the view against marriage has becomes weaker. Always felt, even thought not religious, that marriage was between a man and a woman, and also was aware from studies of mathematical logic, such a debate is not solved by reason alone (e.g. postmodernism for the humanties type) the main thing tipping the balance for is the harm principle, it doesn't really do anything to harm me. The main shift in opinon due to becoming more aware that the 'equality in financial' terms via legislation is only one aspect of the issue.

There really seems to be a disconnect for family friends who are gay can only really announce there sexuality dependent on their career. For example, one academic and an artist lead a life as openly gay, yet a doctor and teacher still don't feel comfortable, or don't feel it's necessary for their employers to know as parents and patients will become concerned. This type of problem doesn't really get solved by a legal loophole, and pigeon holes people into certain sectors of society where it is ok or not so a shift in the legislation could aide this process.

Attitudes will change over time and I think that even if viewed as mearly sybolism to some, the step towards giving equal recognition will lead to greater freedoms than just a piece of paper and lead to a more accepting community for future generations. As SS has made the point on, things like interacial marriage are generally accepted as the norm as we grew up in a time when it was accepted. I doubt current conservatives who claim they would have supported the issue then really would have, it's in conflict with their value system which requires constant challenge (but also provides a useful handbreak at times against the loopy left and crazy right).
    This is great post, and sums up the main reason why there is a meaningful difference between marriage and civil partnership.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    NY state just passed a historic bill and the governor immediately signed it into law. Passed through with the support of a couple of republicans who decided at the last minute. New York now the third state (and by far the most populous) to legalize gay marriage. Awesome stuff. 47 states still to go though - California being the next big prize.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Yeah, good news.

In a few decades, people will look back on this issue with utter disbelief, as they do now with civil rights issues of the past, like the fact that women couldn't vote a century ago, southern blacks couldn't attend university less than 50 years ago, and that homosexuality was considered criminal, a mental illness or both in many parts of the developed western world less than 30 years ago, and still is in other parts of the world today. These abhorrent forms of discrimination were kept in place via the logic of protecting traditional values, separate but equal, protection of children from being raised in abnormal environments, and the other tired defences of bigotry people use for gay marriage today.

Luckily, times change. I look forward to the day when politicians try and hide from the fact that they used to opposed gay marriage, like they did with these other things later in their careers.

Cricketer Of The Year SirBloody Idiot's Avatar
    Awesome quote from Roy McDonald who was one of the Republicans who voted in favour:

You get to the point where you evolve in your life where everything isn't black and white, good and bad, and you try to do the right thing. You might not like that. You might be very cynical about that. Well, **** it, I don't care what you think. I'm trying to do the right thing. I'm tired of Republican-Democrat politics. They can take the job and shove it. I come from a blue-collar background. I'm trying to do the right thing, and that's where I'm going with this.

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    Brilliant quote sbi.

Gotta love the 'Date a policeman' ad for uniformdating.com at the bottom of the screen though
    Everyone wants to change the world, noone wants to change himself.

-Tolstoy

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    The rest of Roy McDonald's life, two weeks top
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

My thoughts have been consistent for years on this topic, Ie. It is an issue that does not concern my day-to-day life. Of course people should be allowed to marry if it makes them happy. Of course it should be a non-issue. In the same way that if people want to snowboard then they should be able to. I dont understand the attraction with homosexuality or snowboarding for that matter but just because it has no relevance to me doesnt mean that I would want to prevent others from doing it and nor do I presume my lifestyle is the only way to live. I have no stake in the issue but others do. I am happy for those to get a provision they desperately want rather than be blocked by people who dont.
    Last edited by Goughy; 25-06-2011 at 09:14 AM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    My thoughts have been consistent for years on this topic, Ie. It is an issue that does not concern my day-to-day life. Of course people should be allowed to marry if it makes them happy. Of course it should be a non-issue. In the same way that if people want to snowboard then they should be able to. I dont understand the attraction with homosexuality or snowboarding for that matter but just because it has no relevance to me doesnt mean that I would want to prevent others from doing it and nor do I presume my lifestyle is the only way to live. I have no stake in the issue but others do. I am happy for those to get a provision they desperately want rather than be blocked by people who dont.
    This.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Heh

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

Page 9 of 43 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread Information