View Poll Results: Do you support gay marriage?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

53 69.74%
  • No, but civil unions

10 13.16%
  • No, just unregistered co-existance

1 1.32%
  • No, ban homosexuality!

3 3.95%
  • Gay? Isn't that a synonym for happy?

9 11.84%
Page 8 of 43 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Gay marriage views?

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iamdavid View Post
    Should've given alot more consideration to how I worded that, was not meaning to infer that being raised by a single parent necessarily hinders psychological development. Just using the single parent scenario for the sake of comparison as it's another scenario which may not be ideal from a child-raising point of view, and research may well suggest that being raised by gays presents no more of an issue than the single parent scenario which is very common and has widespread acceptance. But I still feel it (children being raised by same-sex couples) is something which should be looked at in more detail.
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Reproduction in same sex couples: quality of paren... [Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2005] - PubMed result

More research is always good but if you're going to deny some kid a loving home and keep him in an orphanage instead, it seems to me that the onus should be on the people who think it's dangerous, especially as what literature there is, shows pretty quickly that no harm is done to the child.

I can't believe some people would rather have kids grow up 'in the system' than in a loving home with parents who have a stable income and can provide for that child. It just boggles the mind, personally.

As I posted above - the research is already there. If you have any evidence to the contrary, please present it. In the meantime, let children find loving homes.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iamdavid View Post
    Should've given alot more consideration to how I worded that, was not meaning to infer that being raised by a single parent necessarily hinders psychological development. Just using the single parent scenario for the sake of comparison as it's another scenario which may not be ideal from a child-raising point of view, and research may well suggest that being raised by gays presents no more of an issue than the single parent scenario which is very common and has widespread acceptance. But I still feel it (children being raised by same-sex couples) is something which should be looked at in more detail.
    Ah, I see what you mean.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

I'm happy to view a gay marriage, although preferably it'd be a lesbian honeymoon that I'd be viewing.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    As I posted above - the research is already there. If you have any evidence to the contrary, please present it. In the meantime, let children find loving homes.
    This is such a **** and condescending post it's not funny.

Psychological research of this nature is so subjective that there will never be a definitive answer either way (and iamdavid has never claimed for there to be), so don't act like it's the be all and end all.
    Last edited by benchmark00; 06-03-2011 at 10:41 PM.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nnanden View Post
    Turning me on Mr Burge.
    Backthe****up.jpg
    Parmi

Avatar now by choice. 5-0 in the Ashes and all.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Lol @ ss citing psych lit.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    More research is always good but if you're going to deny some kid a loving home and keep him in an orphanage instead, it seems to me that the onus should be on the people who think it's dangerous, especially as what literature there is, shows pretty quickly that no harm is done to the child.

I can't believe some people would rather have kids grow up 'in the system' than in a loving home with parents who have a stable income and can provide for that child. It just boggles the mind, personally.
    Hmm, what's your opinion on this case? BBC News - Christian foster couple lose 'homosexuality views' case.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    As the saying goes - God made Adam and Eve, not Adam and Jono.
    Jesus saves

proudly supporting Liverpool FC

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    ah...

NIMBY
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    I think they ought to be able to adopt too. I very strongly disagree with them but that is not a reason to deny a child an otherwise loving home.

Seriously, in most cases, orphanages and such are terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    This is such a **** and condescending post it's not funny.

Psychological research of this nature is so subjective that there will never be a definitive answer either way (and iamdavid has never claimed for there to be), so don't act like it's the be all and end all.
    If you notice, my first sentence was that more research is always good. I'm just saying that if you're going to make a claim that some people are unfit to be parents, you should have some good evidence because you are denying a kid so many opportunities by not giving him a home.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Lol @ ss citing psych lit.
    Haha, I almost didn't do it. And when I did, I had to go and take a shower. Twice. I sure hope I don't have to do it again.

To me, the only acceptance reasons for letting a child stay in an orphanage or whatever is if the adoptive parents have a history of felonies of like child abuse, other physical or psychological handicap that may prevent them raising a kid, or it's obvious that they can't afford to raise the kid. Or something else obvious like that.

That's pretty much it. Whether you like it or not, thinking homosexuality is wrong is not a cultish or a fringe belief, and I would absolutely be against someone being denied an adoption because of their obvious religious convictions.

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    I do find tests like that annoying though, its an individual thing whether someone's fit for parenting and to me, sexuality is irrelevant.

Edit: was about to add 'when compared to other factors' but I wouldn't really like to deny anyone a child if they genuinely want to look after them.
    Last edited by cover drive man; 07-03-2011 at 09:54 AM.
    Everyone wants to change the world, noone wants to change himself.

-Tolstoy

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    An interesting little example of why the wording makes a difference today (I thought...). We got our census form, and on it you declare your relationship to other people in your house - you can be 'married', 'in a same-sex civil partnership' or 'partner'. So straight and gay people who are married/civil partnered are having to declare their sexuality on the census, whereas I, as I am unmarried/'living in sin', do not.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    I think they ought to be able to adopt too. I very strongly disagree with them but that is not a reason to deny a child an otherwise loving home.

Seriously, in most cases, orphanages and such are terrible.
    Yeah, I completely agree.

Couldn't help but love the fact that our courts made that ruling just a little bit, though. Thinking homosexuality is evil doesn't make you less fit to raise a child than an orphanage but it's nice that the legal system looks upon such views with such disdain.

Page 8 of 43 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread Information