View Poll Results: Do you support gay marriage?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

53 69.74%
  • No, but civil unions

10 13.16%
  • No, just unregistered co-existance

1 1.32%
  • No, ban homosexuality!

3 3.95%
  • Gay? Isn't that a synonym for happy?

9 11.84%
Page 7 of 43 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Gay marriage views?

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBloody Idiot View Post
    But surely it's enough that people would inevitably call it "gay marriage" just like once upon a time they called it a "mixed marriage" or an "inter-racial marriage".
    And it will change too, eventually, when people's values change.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    We are talking about legal codification not what people talk about casually. If a white man was defined as a 'man' and the black man was defined as something else, you bet there'd be a crazy outrage even if you used the argument that "well its just to differentiate, it doesn't mean any bias.". If you just want to differentiate, why not just call it same sex marriage like we refer to interracial marriage in a casual conversation. The law doesn't have to create that distinction.
    In that sense - terms used in legal codification - I would agree with you.
    ★★★★★

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad View Post
    Why is it a fundamental difference, though? It's a legally recognised partnership between two consenting adults, for which they receieve a variety of tax benefits, easier access to their partner's property after death, a right to a split of mutually owned items if the marriage splits, and so on. That partnership is called marriage. Assuming that any sort of argument about the supposed inferiority of homosexual relationships is thrown out the window, how is it different just because it involves a gay couple?

It's a relatively meaningless debate when it comes down to it, but FWIW, "separate but equal" is not equal. If two consenting adults can recieve acknowledgement of their relationship by the state and that acknowledgement is called marriage, that's what it's called. There's no reason gay couples need a different name for it.

Incidentally I don't think the state should be involved in marriage in any way at all. If the church wants to have a ceremony and only let straight couples or people with blonde hair or people named Julio or whatever participate and they call it marriage, that's their business. Once the state is involved, you offer every couple the same title for their married state, as well as the same legal rights, or it's discrimination.
    Was going to weigh in on this debate but Fuller has summed it up perfectly.
    Stedders' Supported XI (in batting order)
    NJ Kruger, *SM Katich, LA Carseldine, MEK Hussey, Mohammad Ashraful, NT Broom, AA Noffke, +Mushfiqur Rahim, Mashrafe Mortaza, DE Bollinger, WAP Mendis.

CricketWeb Black!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I think Ponting forgot to take his Swiss Ulti-Vites when he was on 99 not out.
    RIP Fardin.

International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Have always been a supporter of civil unions but as time passes my the view against marriage has becomes weaker. Always felt, even thought not religious, that marriage was between a man and a woman, and also was aware from studies of mathematical logic, such a debate is not solved by reason alone (e.g. postmodernism for the humanties type) the main thing tipping the balance for is the harm principle, it doesn't really do anything to harm me. The main shift in opinon due to becoming more aware that the 'equality in financial' terms via legislation is only one aspect of the issue.

There really seems to be a disconnect for family friends who are gay can only really announce there sexuality dependent on their career. For example, one academic and an artist lead a life as openly gay, yet a doctor and teacher still don't feel comfortable, or don't feel it's necessary for their employers to know as parents and patients will become concerned. This type of problem doesn't really get solved by a legal loophole, and pigeon holes people into certain sectors of society where it is ok or not so a shift in the legislation could aide this process.

Attitudes will change over time and I think that even if viewed as mearly sybolism to some, the step towards giving equal recognition will lead to greater freedoms than just a piece of paper and lead to a more accepting community for future generations. As SS has made the point on, things like interacial marriage are generally accepted as the norm as we grew up in a time when it was accepted. I doubt current conservatives who claim they would have supported the issue then really would have, it's in conflict with their value system which requires constant challenge (but also provides a useful handbreak at times against the loopy left and crazy right).
    Last edited by Redbacks; 06-03-2011 at 08:17 PM.

International Debutant iamdavid's Avatar
    I'm supportive in principle of gays getting married. However I'm not supportive of gay adoption/surrogacy (which I know is legal in some states). I'm not yet convinced that gay couples being able to raise a child is a healthy situation. Call me bigoted or homophobic if you will, but I just think more research needs to be done into the impact that being raised by a same sex couple will have on the psychological development of a child. It's highly likely that they'd find there's less of an effect than that on kids raised by a single parent, but I still think it's something which should be examined. I wouldn't want to potentially put equality ahead of the health of a kid.

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    Gays can call it marriage when we get a street festival for being straight that closes down the CBD...and it must be called Mardi-Gras as well...equality etc.

post in jest.
    Parmi

Avatar now by choice. 5-0 in the Ashes and all.

Cricketer Of The Year Mr Casson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ripper868 View Post
    Gays can call it marriage when we get a street festival for being straight that closes down the CBD...and it must be called Mardi-Gras as well...equality etc.

post in jest.
    We can talk about this after you find enough straight people in Sydney to make it happen.
    'Copperfield,' said Mr. Micawber, 'farewell! Every happiness and prosperity! If, in the progress of revolving years, I could persuade myself that my blighted destiny had been a warning to you, I should feel that I had not occupied another man's place in existence altogether in vain.
    - Wilkins Micawber

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    In.
    Jesus saves

proudly supporting Liverpool FC

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iamdavid View Post
    I'm supportive in principle of gays getting married. However I'm not supportive of gay adoption/surrogacy (which I know is legal in some states). I'm not yet convinced that gay couples being able to raise a child is a healthy situation. Call me bigoted or homophobic if you will, but I just think more research needs to be done into the impact that being raised by a same sex couple will have on the psychological development of a child. It's highly likely that they'd find there's less of an effect than that on kids raised by a single parent, but I still think it's something which should be examined. I wouldn't want to potentially put equality ahead of the health of a kid.
    Why? That's a terrible generalisation, to say people being raised by single parents have impaired psychological development. You can't say that, not one bit. It's beyond belief you'd make that generalisation, frankly.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Quote Originally Posted by Nnanden View Post
    In.
    Out.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Out.
    Turning me on Mr Burge.

In.

Never really had strong feelings on this, but turning my mind to it, I always start from the general principle that if you're doing no harm, then you should be free to do whatever you like. On that basis, I don't have a problem with it. If two people love each other....etc etc
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Reproduction in same sex couples: quality of paren... [Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2005] - PubMed result

More research is always good but if you're going to deny some kid a loving home and keep him in an orphanage instead, it seems to me that the onus should be on the people who think it's dangerous, especially as what literature there is, shows pretty quickly that no harm is done to the child.

I can't believe some people would rather have kids grow up 'in the system' than in a loving home with parents who have a stable income and can provide for that child. It just boggles the mind, personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

dwta

"I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

International Debutant iamdavid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Why? That's a terrible generalisation, to say people being raised by single parents have impaired psychological development. You can't say that, not one bit. It's beyond belief you'd make that generalisation, frankly.
    Should've given alot more consideration to how I worded that, was not meaning to infer that being raised by a single parent necessarily hinders psychological development. Just using the single parent scenario for the sake of comparison as it's another scenario which may not be ideal from a child-raising point of view, and research may well suggest that being raised by gays presents no more of an issue than the single parent scenario which is very common and has widespread acceptance. But I still feel it (children being raised by same-sex couples) is something which should be looked at in more detail.

Page 7 of 43 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread Information