View Poll Results: Do you support gay marriage?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    53 69.74%
  • No, but civil unions

    10 13.16%
  • No, just unregistered co-existance

    1 1.32%
  • No, ban homosexuality!

    3 3.95%
  • Gay? Isn't that a synonym for happy?

    9 11.84%
Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 644

Thread: Gay marriage views?

  1. #61
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anyone But England
    Posts
    20,145
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Yes they were. Years ago they were. Religion too. FMD, there was apoplexy if a Prod wanted to marry a Rock Chopper here.
    I believe that's largely because of Papal doctrine (which still exists) which stipulates that children in such a marriage must be raised Catholic.

    It's the reason why the Act of Settlement forbids heirs to the British Crown from marrying Catholics (technically it forbids the heir to the throne from marrying non-Anglicans).

  2. #62
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    41,555
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    I've no idea what this means, but awta.
    Protestant married a Roman Catholic.

    On another note, Murphy shouldn't do serious. FFS.
    Last edited by Burgey; 05-03-2011 at 02:27 PM.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

    "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

  3. #63
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,663
    Oh ****, was he doing serious...
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

  4. #64
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anyone But England
    Posts
    20,145
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Protestant married a Roman Catholic.

    On another note, Murphy shouldn't do serious. FFS.
    Can't say I've ever heard of the phrase 'rock chopper' - elaborate please.


  5. #65
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    41,555
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Can't say I've ever heard of the phrase 'rock chopper' - elaborate please.
    Simply a reference to the initials RC I believe. It's very old. I'll try to find out more.

  6. #66
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Protestant married a Roman Catholic.

    On another note, Murphy shouldn't do serious. FFS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Oh ****, was he doing serious...
    It's ok, you clowns are allowed to have an opinion.

    Just a shame that it's wrong though
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

    Thanks.

  7. #67
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    55,071
    Thought this was a great argument as to why conservatives should support gay marriage.

    If marriage is so good, why not invite everyone in?
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

    Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

  8. #68
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Thought this was a great argument as to why conservatives should support gay marriage.

    If marriage is so good, why not invite everyone in?
    Half expecting that link to be the Kohli glory hole picture.

  9. #69
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    55,071
    Also Benchy, SilentStriker's comparison with interracial marriages, and definitions with regards to what a person was, is absolutely a perfect comparison to your argument. It is a metaphor to the current situation.

    Whether you realise or not, you are letting a historical term define your thoughts.

    SS' question as to whether you'd agree that interracial marriages should not be "marriages" if they were defined as only between the same race, but were allowed as civil unions, is the exact same situation as the gay marriage one.

    Men and females are different, yes. But white and black people are different. As are Asians and Indians etc. etc.

  10. #70
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    55,071
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Half expecting that link to be the Kohli glory hole picture.
    Haha that would have been awesome.

  11. #71
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Also Benchy, SilentStriker's comparison with interracial marriages, and definitions with regards to what a person was, is absolutely a perfect comparison to your argument. It is a metaphor to the current situation.

    Whether you realise or not, you are letting a historical term define your thoughts.

    SS' question as to whether you'd agree that interracial marriages should not be "marriages" if they were defined as only between the same race, but were allowed as civil unions, is the exact same situation as the gay marriage one.

    Men and females are different, yes. But white and black people are different. As are Asians and Indians etc. etc.
    That's a flawed argument.

    My thoughts on the definition of marriage is not based on a historical definition, it's based on what I believe the definition should be.

    fwiw, even if you don't believe me, I would have been strongly against the restriction of interracial marriages if I was around then. A gender is a far more powerful difference than merely the colour of ones skin. It's two different things.

    If it would make you feel better, call gay unions a marriage and heterosexual unions a civil union, it honestly doesnt matter, however it is my belief that there should remain a distinction, not to negatively discriminate, but by pure fact they're two different unions, however equally important.


    You can argue all you want with me on this topic, but you're not going to change a fundamental belief I, and many others, have. And there's no way I will change your mind either.

    It's not a belief which aims to hurt homosexual couples, and if you read my posts you will find I'm as strong an advocate for equal codified rights as you will find.
    Last edited by benchmark00; 05-03-2011 at 08:34 PM.

  12. #72
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,868
    I don't think you're setting out to hurt anyone, and frankly, equal rights is the big target. However, equal rights doesn't necessarily mean equal. By calling it a different name, you're making a distinction which would be absolutely distasteful if made for an interracial couple. You say gender is a bigger difference than race, and that may be right (arguable, but I might agree with you), but I don't think there is a difference in the feelings people have for each other and it should be given equal recognition, as well as equal treatment.

    Anyway, as you say, I don't think we'll change each other's minds, and I'd be very happy with full equal rights. But not quite content until it's equal in all ways, not just in legal rights .
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing

  13. #73
    International Coach Ikki's Avatar
    Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Death Queen Island
    Posts
    12,685
    I really don't care who calls themselves what. I've read the last few pages and if I've understood this correctly, Benchy just thinks there should be a distinction between the names and not on anything else. I don't find that really controversial. The two types of marriages are different. It'd be like creating two terms for accuracy reasons in a way. I'll give an example: in Persian there are two names for "Uncle" - Amu and Daei. Amu just means the brother of your father and Daei means the brother of your mother. I guess the two different terms could aid language in terms of conversation. If you ask someone if they have a partner and whether they say they are married or in a civil union it lets others know right away the type of partner they have.
    Last edited by Ikki; 05-03-2011 at 09:05 PM.
    ★★★★★

  14. #74
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,868
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    I really don't care who calls themselves what. I've read the last few pages and if I've understood this correctly, Benchy just thinks there should be a distinction between the names and not on anything else. I don't find that really controversial. The two types of marriages are different. It'd be like creating two terms for accuracy reasons in a way. I'll give an example: in Persian there are two names for "Uncle" - Amu and Daei. Amu just means the brother of your father and Daei means the brother of your mother. I guess the two different terms could aid language in terms of conversation. If you ask someone if they have a partner and whether they say they are married or in a civil union it lets others know right away the type of partner they have.
    Right, but we're making an analogy between interracial couples and homosexual couples. Why would calling one a different name than 'marriage' be controversial when this shouldn't be?

  15. #75
    International Coach Ikki's Avatar
    Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Death Queen Island
    Posts
    12,685
    I can see the point you are trying to make but I do not think gender and race are comparable in the context of marriage. It's like arguing that people with the same hair colour should be called one thing and people with different hair colours should be called another thing or saying that unions with mixed hair colours carry the same difference as same sex marriage.

    There is a difference between two dogs of the same breed getting together, two dogs of different breeds getting together and a dog and a cat getting together. We may give them all equal rights () but pretending they are the same - or pretending the differences are of equal measure - denies the fundamental difference between them.
    Last edited by Ikki; 05-03-2011 at 09:26 PM.

Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Marriage
    By Pratters in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 231
    Last Post: 31-03-2010, 12:18 AM
  2. Neutral Views
    By roseboy64 in forum Ashes 2009
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-06-2009, 07:25 AM
  3. Why I'm Against Gay Marriage...
    By Matteh in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 396
    Last Post: 23-04-2008, 07:22 AM
  4. Most Disappointing Team?
    By Waughney in forum ICC Champions Trophy 2004
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 14-09-2004, 12:13 PM
  5. Views on CWC99 game (cricket world cup 99)
    By san769 in forum General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-12-2002, 09:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •