View Poll Results: Do you support gay marriage?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

53 69.74%
  • No, but civil unions

10 13.16%
  • No, just unregistered co-existance

1 1.32%
  • No, ban homosexuality!

3 3.95%
  • Gay? Isn't that a synonym for happy?

9 11.84%
Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3240414243 LastLast

Thread: Gay marriage views?

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Having read the first few pages again, I must admit I'm struggling to really understand Bench's opposition to gay marriage. Opposition seems to be mainly technical, calling it a marriage is therefore a symbolic change, etc. Am I close?

Gay friends I have sorta think, even if symbolic, it means a lot and will feel a lot more like something they can hang their hat on as far in being recognised as equal to non-gay people (especially gay females with kids or who want kids, I've noticed). If it's nothing more than symbolism, does that make it unimportant?
    really cbf getting into it again, but let me re-iterate my support for equal rights between same sex and difference sex couples.

Let me also make note that marriage is a legal principle, not a religious one, and my opposition to the legalisation is not based on religious grounds.

The traditional legal definition of marriage stipulates that it is between a man and a woman. I see no reason to change that. It should be between male and female, not male and camel, female and gorilla or anything other.

The argument along equal rights is total horse **** because since when has marriage been a legal right?

It's a symbolic measure which does not need to be made at the expense of a long standing traditional institution.

The main thing is that they are afforded equal rights. And I am a strong advocate for that.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I don't get the whole definition and sanctity of marriage argument at all. I could get married and divorced 5 times in one week and that's all cool, but a gay person can't.
    lol pick the guy has no idea about marriage laws.

So basically you'd advocate a civil union type thing which in the eyes of the law is completely identical save to it being called "civil union"?
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    lol pick the guy has no idea about marriage laws.
    It was an obvious exaggeration for dramatic effect. Do we really have to argue phrasing here?
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    So basically you'd advocate a civil union type thing which in the eyes of the law is completely identical save to it being called "civil union"?
    Yes. It's why I have voted "No, but civil unions"

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    really cbf getting into it again, but let me re-iterate my support for equal rights between same sex and difference sex couples.

Let me also make note that marriage is a legal principle, not a religious one, and my opposition to the legalisation is not based on religious grounds.

The traditional legal definition of marriage stipulates that it is between a man and a woman. I see no reason to change that. It should be between male and female, not male and camel, female and gorilla or anything other.

The argument along equal rights is total horse **** because since when has marriage been a legal right?

It's a symbolic measure which does not need to be made at the expense of a long standing traditional institution.

The main thing is that they are afforded equal rights. And I am a strong advocate for that.
    No, traditionally the act didn't define marriage. That was a Howard goverment-era amendment to the act, if I recall correctly.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 27-11-2012 at 05:15 AM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

But then here's the thing for me: if it looks like a duck, talks like a duck, quacks like a duck, why not call it a duck? If it's identical to marriage in all but name, then doesn't it simply make more sense to just call it marriage and be done? I see your point re: traditional institutions, but what about the symbolic importance of the individual being able to say "Yes, Bob and I are married" as opposed to "Yes, Bob and I are civilly unioned". I don't think the the latter is really important enough to justify the lack of the former, tbh.

Ideally Cribb's original idea would be best IMO, and we'd just give everyone civil union licenses and let everyone work it out amongst themselves whether they want to call them marriage licenses or not, but that's also borderline semantics and would be a technical cluster****.

No, traditionally the act didn't define marriage. That was a Howard goverment-era amendment to the act, if I recall correctly.
    Nah it's basically a constitutional definition. The 2004 amendment was so it fell in line with the definition intended in s51.

Yep. 2004.

EDIT: I'm reading that it was a bring-it-into-line-with-common-law thing though

EDIT2: Never mind.

EDIT3: Wait really re: s51? I'm not a lawyer, but...

The Parliament shall, subject to this Constitution, have power to make laws for the peace, order, and good government of the Commonwealth with respect to:

(xxi) marriage;
    And that's it. Seems light on definitions to me.
    Last edited by Spark; 27-11-2012 at 05:26 AM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Nah it's basically a constitutional definition. The 2004 amendment was so it fell in line with the definition intended in s51.
    Yeah I remember but there were plenty at the time who thought it should have remained a residual power of the states rather than brought into line with the constitutional definition.

Anyway, this reduces the argument to a fairly technocratic one and, well, I'm not a lawyer so take what I'm about to say with the appropriately large mound of salt.... But anyway, if a constitutional court upheld a change to the definition, that means you'd support it, yes?

Yep. 2004.

He did say "intended" rather than "included" to be fair.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Yep. 2004.

Well you would be aware of the two methods of statutory interpretation yes? Purposive and literal.

At the time the Constitution was written, a man and a woman, like in Australia today, were the only ones allowed to get married. Therefore if there's no scope for literal interpretation (no strict written definition), one is by no other choice bound by the purposive method in times of debate, which would define it between a man and a woman.

Fair enough.

Yeah I remember but there were plenty at the time who thought it should have remained a residual power of the states rather than brought into line with the constitutional definition.

Anyway, this reduces the argument to a fairly technocratic one and, well, I'm not a lawyer so take what I'm about to say with the appropriately large mound of salt.... But anyway, if a constitutional court upheld a change to the definition, that means you'd support it, yes?
    I would definitely disagree with their findings because I would feel it was based upon no legal ground, however theoretically - yes. But I do hope it doesn't get to that stage because I think the court would have made a mistake.

At the end of the day, there's no way you can term my opposition to same sex marriage as homophobia. People who do so, and people who can see no other objections to it other than homophobia are ignorant, plain and simple.

Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3240414243 LastLast

Thread Information