View Poll Results: Do you support gay marriage?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

53 69.74%
  • No, but civil unions

10 13.16%
  • No, just unregistered co-existance

1 1.32%
  • No, ban homosexuality!

3 3.95%
  • Gay? Isn't that a synonym for happy?

9 11.84%
Page 36 of 43 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Gay marriage views?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Truthfully, not many do, unless you're involved (even then, usually if you're Chinese). Like I said, it's a hard argument to make that it's a 'problem' per se because most of the criminal activity occurs outside of Singapore's borders. The integration with government, law enforcement, etc. is so complete that it's barely even criminal activity any more, just the way things are done.

Trace these ****s and their activities back to HK and the picture changes dramatically. Relative to other organised crime, info is scant, second-hand, etc. Informants with detailed info are incredibly rare so the true extent of activities is assumed rather than known for sure. Everyone is paid well and they're just too good to make mistakes which can hang them.

EDIT: I would discourage anyone living there from asking about it, tbh.
    How come so few people know about it then ?

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Wow, you seem to know quite a bit..

So top_cat, what did you say your full name was again?

this thread is getting hilarious
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    cpr, wag.
    RIP Craigos

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    How come so few people know about it then ?
    Like I said, most of the criminality happens elsewhere.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    legend has it successful criminals are pretty good at not talking about their plans with the lads at the pub
    Exit pursuing a beer

Indeed but even then, with the complicity of the government, you can get away with heaps. We only know as much about the Comorra and Casalesi because of guys like Roberto Saviano, who were very much inside, naming names and tying them to infamous hits, etc. Before that, even though the crooks themselves were public, dirty, careless and stupid, the true extent of their control wasn't well-known unless you, y'know, knew (and were at any time seconds away from death).

Of course, needless to say, Saviano is under 24-hour guard so the penalties for ****ing with these guys are severe. And, worse, they're bloody patient. They waited 10 years before knocking off Domenico Noviello for doing the same thing, only let his guard down for a minute and boom. Then they killed his Dad. And Noviello wasn't even a crook, he just named the blokes who were demanding protection money from him. Saviano, on the other hand, has really set the cat amongst those pigeons by writing an entire book (Gomorrah) about his experiences working directly with/under these guys so you know they want him bad. All the Sicilian types have a history of making a grand show of punishing transgressions.

EDIT: And to bring it back to Triad types, the Comorra's business is really only limited to Italy, their reach outside of the country is limited. Triads (depending on which ones), on the other hand, are involved internationally. As a business model, theirs is far, far more efficient and that's the scary part. They don't need the large-scale, bloody macho shows of strength because, well, everyone generally makes money and knows knows not to **** with them. Their efficiency and reach is the biggest weapon, really.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 17-11-2012 at 09:31 PM.

TC I'm not disagreeing with you or denying what you are saying, because you've worked in the industry and last time we had a discussion about Singapore I remember you saying you can't really give proof or anything so its kind of a moot debate... but what I will say is surely the money the Singapore government has can't solely or primarily be from such activities? I mean those ****ers are absolutely swimming in wealth, and I imagine a lot of it comes from their investments.

Oh yeah, of course, there's a lot of legitimate $ for sure, same as with the Mafia/Comorra/etc. If they relied on money from scams and rackets, they wouldn't be anywhere near as powerful. That's what makes them impossible to be rid of.

Duffer's new job in Singapore is probably some mafia style type. Have you seen this bloke and the aviators he wears? Definite gangster.

I mean, it's basic logic when you think about it; if you made $5M from racketeering/drugs/prostitution in your 20's and you had the opportunity to turn it into $100M+ by the time you're 40 with legitimate investment, why the **** wouldn't you? That's largely the trajectory of the blokes at the top. If the crime only exists at the margins of your activities (e.g. local strong blokes who take on the problem of any local agitation) and it can't be directly tied to you any more, all the better. Many of the guys and their sons who were big-time into the opium business in Singapore in the 60's are the totally legitimate business leaders of today and they have the money and muscle to whitewash anyone who says otherwise.

****, it happens here too, hardly an Asian thing; how many people remember Geoff Edelsten solicited a hit and did prison time for it? Now put your hand up if you know his wife is a sweaty bimbo with big bombs.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 17-11-2012 at 09:50 PM.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    The severe penalties for drug peddling..the recent escape of the terrorist from our prison..those numerous old folk homes where the old chinese men hang out and play mahjong..

it's all finally starting to make sense now

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    The severe penalties for drug peddling..the recent escape of the terrorist from our prison..those numerous old folk homes where the old chinese men hang out and play mahjong..

it's all finally starting to make sense now
    Stop before you know too much!

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Duffer's new job in Singapore is probably some mafia style type. Have you seen this bloke and the aviators he wears? Definite gangster.
    Heh, I keep it on the low so all the PHD's don't get worked up. Might be ending at the end of January though

Love what this thread has become too. Just waiting on Daemon to have his Truman Show moment and then it's a wrap.

Ah yes, Mahjong. Otherwise known as Devil's Dominoes. Steer clear of those guys.

International Debutant Black_Warrior's Avatar
    On Gay marriages

What I find absolutely shocking is that there exists such a huge group of people and activists fighting for marriage rights? Marriage? I mean seriously? Have you guys ever interacted with real married couples?
    Why someone would fight for the right to inflict such torture on one self is beyond me.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Warrior View Post
    On Gay marriages

What I find absolutely shocking is that there exists such a huge group of people and activists fighting for marriage rights? Marriage? I mean seriously? Have you guys ever interacted with real married couples?
    Why someone would fight for the right to inflict such torture on one self is beyond me.
    It's a fair point, I think marriage is just a device for men who don't like gambling to lose all their money in a different way

Page 36 of 43 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Thread Information