View Poll Results: Do you support gay marriage?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    53 69.74%
  • No, but civil unions

    10 13.16%
  • No, just unregistered co-existance

    1 1.32%
  • No, ban homosexuality!

    3 3.95%
  • Gay? Isn't that a synonym for happy?

    9 11.84%
Page 10 of 43 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 644

Thread: Gay marriage views?

  1. #136
    International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NT
    Posts
    4,150
    Quote Originally Posted by GotSpin View Post
    just don't ask him for advice on interracial marriage

  2. #137
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,680
    There are some issues I understand but I disagree with. I am completely pro-choice, but I understand the pro-life position. I understand that if, for whatever reason, you believe that human life begins at conception, and termination of that is murder, that you have a moral obligation to do your best to put an end to that, even if it is not your child (eg, you look at it as preventing the murder of someone else's child). I disagree with the premise (eg the belief that it is a "human" life with all the rights), but if we hold that premise to be true, their line of argument makes sense because murder is something that the entire society has an interest in preventing. Again, I'm just about the most pro-choice person ever, but I can appreciate the logic of the other side.

    On the other hand, I just don't understand the opposition to gay marriage. It doesn't make any sense to me. Nobody is being hurt, and your life is not being affected in any way. It's something I can't fathom - I just can't follow their logic.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing

  3. #138
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    23,065
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    There are some issues I understand but I disagree with. I am completely pro-choice, but I understand the pro-life position. I understand that if, for whatever reason, you believe that human life begins at conception, and termination of that is murder, that you have a moral obligation to do your best to put an end to that, even if it is not your child (eg, you look at it as preventing the murder of someone else's child). I disagree with the premise (eg the belief that it is a "human" life with all the rights), but if we hold that premise to be true, their line of argument makes sense because murder is something that the entire society has an interest in preventing. Again, I'm just about the most pro-choice person ever, but I can appreciate the logic of the other side.

    On the other hand, I just don't understand the opposition to gay marriage. It doesn't make any sense to me. Nobody is being hurt, and your life is not being affected in any way. It's something I can't fathom - I just can't follow their logic.
    Problem.
    The Colourphonics

    Bandcamp
    Twitderp

  4. #139
    BARNES OUT dontcloseyoureyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    WILDCARD, BITCHES
    Posts
    28,272
    And it's not like God's going to let them in if he exists.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!


  5. #140
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    23,853
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

  6. #141
    Hall of Fame Member Sanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,230
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    There are some issues I understand but I disagree with. I am completely pro-choice, but I understand the pro-life position. I understand that if, for whatever reason, you believe that human life begins at conception, and termination of that is murder, that you have a moral obligation to do your best to put an end to that, even if it is not your child (eg, you look at it as preventing the murder of someone else's child). I disagree with the premise (eg the belief that it is a "human" life with all the rights), but if we hold that premise to be true, their line of argument makes sense because murder is something that the entire society has an interest in preventing. Again, I'm just about the most pro-choice person ever, but I can appreciate the logic of the other side.
    Most biggest pro-life supporters are also some of the biggest supporters of Capital Punishment and that's why the pro-life stance of these people doesn't make sense to me.

  7. #142
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,680
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    Most biggest pro-life supporters are also some of the biggest supporters of Capital Punishment and that's why the pro-life stance of these people doesn't make sense to me.
    While I am definitely opposed to capital punishment, I think the issue is killing the innocent vs. killing someone convicted of a crime. Again, you and I may disagree with it, but there is at least a logical process involved in their rationalizations.

  8. #143
    Hall of Fame Member Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anyone But England
    Posts
    19,763
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    While I am definitely opposed to capital punishment, I think the issue is killing the innocent vs. killing someone convicted of a crime. Again, you and I may disagree with it, but there is at least a logical process involved in their rationalizations.
    It's selective logic though. Supporting capital punishment isn't consistent with the 'sanctity of life' argument.

  9. #144
    Cricketer Of The Year Anil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Tattooine
    Posts
    9,775
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    Most biggest pro-life supporters are also some of the biggest supporters of Capital Punishment and that's why the pro-life stance of these people doesn't make sense to me.
    and most of them are pro-war as well....there is no logic or reason involved...for the most they are blindly parrotting what they believe the bible tells them to do...
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    very very close friend of mine is an Arab Christian and he speaks Arabic too and the visible hidden filth shows the mentality which may never change .....
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    AAooouchh !!!!!
    I still remember that zipper accident of mine when I was in kindergarten ..... (Thing is OK I repeat thing is OK now )!!!

  10. #145
    International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NT
    Posts
    4,150
    Quote Originally Posted by Anil View Post
    and most of them are pro-war as well....there is no logic or reason involved...for the most they are blindly parrotting what they believe the bible tells them to do...
    'Death of 1 person is a tragedy, of a million is a statistic' - J Stalin

    Secular leader repsonsible for at least 43 million deaths blindly following what Leninist-Marxism told him to do through 'infallible reasoning' of dialectical materialism...

  11. #146
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,680
    Or option b) he was a power hungry douche and did whatever he could to gain and keep absolute power.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 15-10-2011 at 11:29 AM.

  12. #147
    International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NT
    Posts
    4,150
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Or option b) he was a power hungry douche and did whatever he could to gain and keep absolute power.
    had a bit in common with Mao Tse Tung, Pol Pot, Lenin, Castro and Kim Il-sung then.
    Last edited by Redbacks; 15-10-2011 at 12:18 PM.

  13. #148
    Cricketer Of The Year Anil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Tattooine
    Posts
    9,775
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbacks View Post
    'Death of 1 person is a tragedy, of a million is a statistic' - J Stalin

    Secular leader repsonsible for at least 43 million deaths blindly following what Leninist-Marxism told him to do through 'infallible reasoning' of dialectical materialism...
    do you have a point? i am talking about the typical right wing social conservative (of course there are exceptions here as well and i am not referring to them) here with his/her contradictory views on the three topics under discussion (abortion, capital punishment and i added war into the mix)... why bring communism/marxism into this...i certainly haven't glorified it either in comparison or otherwise...

  14. #149
    Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,553
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Ice Caps never melt


  15. #150
    International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NT
    Posts
    4,150
    Quote Originally Posted by Anil View Post
    do you have a point? i am talking about the typical right wing social conservative (of course there are exceptions here as well and i am not referring to them) here with his/her contradictory views on the three topics under discussion (abortion, capital punishment and i added war into the mix)... why bring communism/marxism into this...i certainly haven't glorified it either in comparison or otherwise...
    I was aiming to be critical of the strength of your position by providing a counter example to the assertion that logic and reason are neccessarily a protection against a propensity to war. The example was to illustrate just how dangerous that which is deemed to be a logical idea can also be, and one that has shaped many conservative thinkers views in the past 50 years.

    I think John Stuart Mill summed it up best when he said the original source is often the best place to start when assessing a position, so if you have the time maybe Michael Oakeshott's essay 'on being a conservative' would be a good place to start for a better exposition on the philosophical postion towards government.

    Michael Oakeshott - On Being a Conservative.pdf

    Btw. David Cameron just last week at the Tory conference said he "supports gay marraige, because he is a conservative" would be intersting to hear a more detailed view of his position.
    Last edited by Redbacks; 15-10-2011 at 04:32 PM.

Page 10 of 43 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Marriage
    By Pratters in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 231
    Last Post: 31-03-2010, 12:18 AM
  2. Neutral Views
    By roseboy64 in forum Ashes 2009
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-06-2009, 07:25 AM
  3. Why I'm Against Gay Marriage...
    By Matteh in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 396
    Last Post: 23-04-2008, 07:22 AM
  4. Most Disappointing Team?
    By Waughney in forum ICC Champions Trophy 2004
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 14-09-2004, 12:13 PM
  5. Views on CWC99 game (cricket world cup 99)
    By san769 in forum General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-12-2002, 09:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •