Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: F1 in India looking up?

F1 in India looking up?

Narain Karthikeyan missed out on driving for Minardi in the last 5 races due to the bureaucratic procedures in India. Minrardi offered Narain to drive last 5 races for $1.1 million to be paid within 5 days and Narain's sponser TATA came forward but was not able to complete the process in 5 days.He is said to have his best chance next year. Karun who is second in British F3 Scholarship class has got a global sponser which will enable him to move up to F3 level next season. Also there is an Indian delegation in Milan, Italy to meet F1 Chief to bid for the race. The talks have started and Bernie has accepted to witness either the opening or the closing ceremony of 1st Afro Asian Games to be held in Hyderabad in October to see the infrastructure in the region. There are rumours that the Indian GP is going to be added as the 18th race and also that the thing which favours India is India is not going to adopt the anti-tobacco laws in the near future. India Motorsport is looking up maybe

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    As long as they can wave enough cash in the FiA's face, then they'll get the race.

As someone who rarely missed Grands Prix from 1992-2000, I have seen an ever-decreasing amount since as I become more and more cynical over the FiA's motives.

The driver aid and traction control farces, the ever-decreasing amount of overtaking (OK, it's improved a bit this year - but for crying out loud, get rid of a) traction control, b) launch control, c) semi-automatic gears and d) a lot of the grip and downforce there is at present).

What really has p****d me off has been the way that different Grands Prix have been treated. This year we lost Belgium - the greatest circuit of my lifetime (the Nordschleife held its last race before I was born, before anyone brings that chestnut up..) due to cigarette advertising and next year we lose Montréal - arguably one of the most exciting races there is, and if you've not seen the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in the rain, then you've not seen F1 - for the same damn, money-driven, morally bankrupt reason.

Hockenheim has been so disgracefully neutered that it's a shadow of its former self (what have the Germans got against great tracks?), Zandvoort is long gone, and what do we get in their place?

Bland modern autodromes with the character of Kimi Raikkonen. When Magny-Cours is one of the better tracks in the calendar, things are going sideways and fast. Hungary throws up maybe one or two good laps every five years, the A1-Ring (thankfully gone now, but not for the right reasons) was a pathetic imitation of the Österreichring (Austrians/Germans again..) and the infield at Indianapolis is like playing with a plastic bat and tennis ball at Lord's. Malaysia is a notable exception but I have very, very little hope for the Bahrain and Shanghai races (or for the forthcoming Russian, Qatari etc...). All in the name of tobacco money. Forget morals.

And as for the pay-driver crap that we're getting in now... yes it was bad in the early 90s, and who can forget Taki Inoue, but looking at the likes of Zsolt Baumgartner's qualifying display at Monza today (outpaced - comfortably - by Jos Verstappen's Minardi and only 0.9 up on Nicolas Kiesa despite the Dane going sideways via the gravel on the exit of the Ascari), there seems to be so much focus on money over talent again.

:!(

Rant over. For now.

:!(
    Last edited by Neil Pickup; 13-09-2003 at 12:56 PM.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    So do people thing overall F1 has improved with the new rules this year?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Pinball Champion!
    Originally posted by marc71178

Not really, it was a horrible over reaction to Schumacher doing well for himself... I dont care if the results are predictable, as long as they are "true".. Now I think they are so much more based on luck rather than good team management...

Ive switched off most of this year anyway, most of the sport seems pretty farcical at the moment, and neil has pointed out some of it already... I dont think it will be long before we lose the UK grand prix, unless they move it to Brands Hatch...
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Chopper Challenge Champion! Roulette Champion!
    Originally posted by Langeveldt
    Not really, it was a horrible over reaction to Schumacher doing well for himself... I dont care if the results are predictable, as long as they are "true".. Now I think they are so much more based on luck rather than good team management...

Ive switched off most of this year anyway, most of the sport seems pretty farcical at the moment, and neil has pointed out some of it already... I dont think it will be long before we lose the UK grand prix, unless they move it to Brands Hatch...
    True results!?!?! If thats the case how did Michael **** out in Hungary? 8th place...

Who cares. Last season was boring and I switched off after a while. The new system has brought us the closest championship race for years. Only 2 points serperate the top 3. Its going to be very interesting. I don't mind who wins as long as its not Michael.
    "Matt Damon"

Originally posted by marc71178
    I think so. It is more competitive and fun to watch than the seasons before.

More watchable than last year.

Still, you can see from above what I think needs to be done to bring back many ex-regular viewers. Oh, for the days of the early 90s once again.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    I havent missed an f1 race in about 4 years and over all this season is the best of the lot. More passing, more winners etc.... the rules havent been the only reason why its closer, in the last 8 or so races Williams have really had the better car. they have been faster in all sessions including the race on most weekends.
    Different tracks and condtions suit different teams an tyres so some times its going to be harder for schumacher to win a race. USA in a week and a half will go to Williams barring incident. Their package suits the type of race it is.

Personally id like to see the race weekend go back to the way it was. 2 practices on friday 1 on saturday plus 12 lap qualifying too. Then a warm up on race morning. Its the only way to go i think.

The points system has been really good for the sport. it has kept it interesting right to suzuka this year. rather than last year when schumacher wrapped up the championship by hungary. Some people think the points system sucks because it rewards coming 2nd and 3rd more than winning a lot then having a few DNF's. But i prefer it this way as it keeps guys like raikkonen whos only won 1 race so far still in striking distance, even though Schumi has won 5 races.

As for the tracks, im glad belgium is back on the calender next season. its one of my favourites and F1 isnt the same without it. Canada isnt needed as far as im concerned. Within a few years there will be a second race in America anyway. Its interesting to see bahran and turkey with races. And Brazil moved to the last race of the season.

Originally posted by broncoman
    The points system has been really good for the sport. it has kept it interesting right to suzuka this year. rather than last year when schumacher wrapped up the championship by hungary. Some people think the points system sucks because it rewards coming 2nd and 3rd more than winning a lot then having a few DNF's. But i prefer it this way as it keeps guys like raikkonen whos only won 1 race so far still in striking distance, even though Schumi has won 5 races.
    And that is why we don't like the new system! Why should Raikkonen have a chance of winning it when he's only won one race? And don't say Keke Rosberg because 1984 was a year of no standout driver at all unlike today.

As for the tracks, im glad belgium is back on the calender next season. its one of my favourites and F1 isnt the same without it. Canada isnt needed as far as im concerned. Within a few years there will be a second race in America anyway. Its interesting to see bahran and turkey with races. And Brazil moved to the last race of the season.
    Belgium is one of everyone's favourite's. Interesting it might me to see Bahrain and Turkey have races, but what are the tracks like?

Can you name the tracks that consistently produce better races than Canada?

Pinball Champion!
    Originally posted by Neil Pickup
    Belgium is one of everyone's favourite's. Interesting it might me to see Bahrain and Turkey have races, but what are the tracks like?

Can you name the tracks that consistently produce better races than Canada?

Dont tell me that Bahrain is in there because of its immense F1 heritage... Its a pity the whole sport is dictated by money nowadays, moreso than football..

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    I wonder how much trouble fireworks and the like would cause in F1?

And that is why we don't like the new system! Why should Raikkonen have a chance of winning it when he's only won one race? And don't say Keke Rosberg because 1984 was a year of no standout driver at all unlike today.
    Kimi has been consistent all year, hes had more podiums than any other driver, i think only finished outside the points once??? i may be wrong on that one. But if he wins it i think he will deserve it. As will Schumi if he wins it, or juan pablo.

I havent seen the layouts, im not even sure they have been finished being built yet!

Can you name the tracks that consistently produce better races than Canada? [/B]
    I dont know if any race can be responsible for a good race every year. Rain always adds something extra no matter where it is. Brazil this year was carnage, but it wasnt that good to watch due to the race not even being 100% completed. France always seems to throw up a good race. Germany did before they went and ruined the track. Australia is always a great race.
    The FIA are just looking for excuses to change the calander, as i said before they have their heart set on a second race in the USA and getting rid of Canada was destined to happen for this to go ahead and what better time than now.

Anyway back to India. I dont think they have much chance of getting a race. There are 17 races on next years calander (The Maximum the FIA will allow). But they still want to add races in egypt, USA, Moscow and perhaps Agerntina. If it comes, dont hold your breath waiting, its still 10 years minimum away.

Originally posted by broncoman
    Kimi has been consistent all year, hes had more podiums than any other driver, i think only finished outside the points once??? i may be wrong on that one. But if he wins it i think he will deserve it. As will Schumi if he wins it, or juan pablo.
    I disagree as one win isn't enough to be a valid Champion IMO! I meant 1982 as Rosberg's year earlier - and I add Scheckter in 1979 and Villeneuve in 1997 to the list of less-deserved titles. I'll leave Alan Jones alone . The new system makes this much more likely.

I havent seen the layouts, im not even sure they have been finished being built yet!
    Neither have I. Going from experience of new tracks, I'm not hopeful.

I dont know if any race can be responsible for a good race every year. Rain always adds something extra no matter where it is. Brazil this year was carnage, but it wasnt that good to watch due to the race not even being 100% completed. France always seems to throw up a good race. Germany did before they went and ruined the track. Australia is always a great race.
    The FIA are just looking for excuses to change the calander, as i said before they have their heart set on a second race in the USA and getting rid of Canada was destined to happen for this to go ahead and what better time than now.
    Disagree on Australia - purely down to the fact that it's the season opener, no one knows the new rules properly and all the cars go wrong :P.

France is iffy - and I remember 92-98 hardly throwing up anything interesting until the big rainstorm in 99 and Frentzen's one-stop magic.

So that leaves Belgium and Brazil. Well, you can stick Monza on there and Malaysia too.

We cannot afford to lose Canada!

*Considers starting a dream F1 calendar thread*

Anyway back to India. I dont think they have much chance of getting a race. There are 17 races on next years calander (The Maximum the FIA will allow). But they still want to add races in egypt, USA, Moscow and perhaps Agerntina. If it comes, dont hold your breath waiting, its still 10 years minimum away.
    Trust me, they'll allow more than 17 if they're offered enough cash. Argentina I doubt, that track makes me shudder just thinking of it. Moscow, Egypt, yep, but I can see a 20-race season including India by 2010.
    Last edited by Neil Pickup; 18-09-2003 at 02:06 PM.

I was under the impression that there wasnt going to be more than 17 races in a season anymore. But i read on planetf1.com yesterday that isnt the case. The 2004 calander is unlikely to remain the same at this stage. I hadnt even realised China had been included. The more places they add the less Europe is going to have soon. Silverstone is on its last legs. The FIA are trying to find excuses to get rid of it, and thats not far from happening now. Others like Hungary will find themselves on the outer, simply cause bernie wants to go to America and Asia. Germany will soon only have 1 race. And lucky for them they currently have some of the best drivers, otherwise they would soon not have a race at all.
    Going through the calander i simply cant decide which ones could be taken out to include some of these races that Bernie wants. Brazil perhaps, but then theres no race in South America. Sukuza is a historic race and a great track and japan has to have a race. malaysia is probably the premier F1 facility in the world. The only places i can see going are european races.

I was also reading how the FIA have scheduled next years Silverstone grand prix on the same day as the Wimbledon Mens final and The final of Euro 2004 in portugal.
    A big blunder that one.

Hungary will stay - more's the pity - whilst tobacco advertising remains legal there. Agree, it's a matter of time before the Nurburgring and even Imola get booted. Silverstone isn't too long for this world either.

As for cross-scheduling, that day also has an England NatWest Series ODI on it, too.

Please don't replace it with Brands Hatch though. Having watched the CART event there in May, it will make Hungary look action-packed.

You're right, the FIA have said that the races that will go are European. Portugal, Holland and Sweden (that track will only be remembered for one thing - the BT46 "Fan Car") will never get theirs back and I can't see that much expansion. Anyone remember the Pacific GP at Aida? Wish I don't.

So, a dream calendar - 17 races, let's go:

Spa-Francorchamps
    Nurburgring Nordschleife
    Zandvoort (old)
    Monza
    Sepang
    Interlagos
    Suzuka
    Donington Park
    Österreichring
    Montréal
    Clermont-Ferrand
    Le Mans (old)
    Hockenheim (old)
    Imola (old)
    Mexico City
    Kyalami (old)
    Watkins Glen

Discuss.
    Last edited by Neil Pickup; 19-09-2003 at 03:42 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information