Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coincidences

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar

Coincidences

A couple of days ago I was thinking of that scene from the bodyline series where Jardine knocks on the door of the Aussie dressing room and asks for an apology for being insulted. The reply is "Which one of you bastards called this bastard a bastard".

Last night in the Dominion Post in their trivia quiz they asked about this quote. It was a coincidence that made me smile. Do you believe in coincidences? There is a book called the Celestine Prophecy which states that all coincidences have a meaning. Every conversation you have with someone has a purpose especially right at the end of the conversation.

Sometimes at work if I try to phone someone - and they are not there. I figure to myself maybe they weren't meant to answer the phone so I will go an see them live about it tomorrow.

I met my ex when my car broke down and I had to get a ride home from her instead.

Do you have a view on coincidences?
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Chicken Champion! Battle Pong Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Coincidence and Confirmation Bias both begin with 'co'. Coincidence?
    "Under the spreading chestnut tree,
    I sold you and you sold me."

I was talking to somebody about confirmation bias earlier, what are the chances you'd post a link to an article about it on the same day!

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    I was talking to somebody about ****s just before, what a coincidence Markarse just posted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

I was talking to Corrin about the ignore function earlier, it really does work wonders! Bit if a coincidence the first time I see it in use is in this thread though.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar

Edit: Gotta reread Foucault's Pendulum

Quote Originally Posted by Adamc View Post
    I read the article - the example of the librarian and the real estate agent is a good one. But the example of the golden child is not such a good one in my mind. I mean I doubt very much I would have seen the golden child mentioned to me in the past 5 years. You might argue that I have had it mentioned to me and I didn't notice it because there are thousands of things to mentioned to me in a day. But if you think about just today - when things are fresh in your mind - has someone mentioned the golden child to you. Seems like a genuine coincidence that someone was talking about the golden child with a friend and then had it mentioned to them three times in the next couple of days. It would be confirmation bias if the golden child was on TV somewhere every day.

The example about if you have had a baby and then all you see in the world is stories about babies sounds fair. It isn't too hard to go outside and see someone with a baby or see a TV show with a baby in a day.

Or the example about being in love and only hearing love songs. I mean there a million love songs out there. Those all sound like confirmation bias.

Reckon the golden child example - and the Jardine quote I mentioned before are coincidences. They just don't come up every day.

Chicken Champion! Battle Pong Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I read the article - the example of the librarian and the real estate agent is a good one. But the example of the golden child is not such a good one in my mind. I mean I doubt very much I would have seen the golden child mentioned to me in the past 5 years. You might argue that I have had it mentioned to me and I didn't notice it because there are thousands of things to mentioned to me in a day. But if you think about just today - when things are fresh in your mind - has someone mentioned the golden child to you. Seems like a genuine coincidence that someone was talking about the golden child with a friend and then had it mentioned to them three times in the next couple of days. It would be confirmation bias if the golden child was on TV somewhere every day.
    That's not the point though. You might not come across another reference to The Golden Child for ten years. The point is that you only notice it when it seems like an odd coincidence. Coming across several unrelated references to an obscure bit of pop culture within a few days is something that you might think notable. You probably won't think it's notable if those references came over several years.

The Jardine quote example you gave is an example of this. If you had come across the quote again in a year, rather than last night, you would have long forgotten that you were thinking about it the other day, or even if you had remembered it, you wouldn't consider it a notable coincidence. When you come across unlikely coincidences you ascribe some importance to it because they seem so unlikely, but in doing so you're ignoring the hundreds of times a day where no such coincidence occurs (i.e. where you come across an obscure bit of information but don't see it referenced again in an unrelated context within a short time frame). Even if the probability of such a coincidence occurring is 1 in 100,000, if you examined all the possible instances in which such a coincidence might occur you'll likely find that they're not occurring at a rate significantly higher than probability would suggest.
    Last edited by Adamc; 05-11-2010 at 10:10 PM.

Fair play.

I guess following your train of logic - incidents such as meeting my ex wife - can be explained by everyone meeting by chance. E.g. you both just happened to be in the same class. Or be in the same store at the same time. Most people that you meet is by some fluke or another. But you ascribe more importance to some events so remember the lead up events more sometimes.
    Last edited by Hurricane; 05-11-2010 at 10:46 PM.

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    I mentioned on the way to pub tonight i hope i don't run into my ex's best mate...sure enough i did...coincidence?

Course she works at the pub though so prob not that coincidental
    Parmi

Avatar now by choice. 5-0 in the Ashes and all.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamc View Post
    Interestingly, confirmation bias goes a lot further than that- this study suggested that people's prior beliefs are confirmed by reading evidence that counters said belief.

Our minds are usually too feeble for us to fully realise just how much our minds suck.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    F00lins is, and always will be, a ****.

Coincidence or just mere fact?
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Pinball Champion!
    I want to know if anyone has copped off with a girl they've had a car accident with..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt View Post
    I want to know if anyone has copped off with a girl they've had a car accident with..
    Yeah, she was driving, i was in the passenger seat, she was my girlfriend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information