cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Paleo diet

Quote Originally Posted by Redbacks View Post
    Because except for about 20% genetically pre-disposed to high insulin sensitivity. It's a diet impossible to follow and maintain a low body fat % into old age. It's out of sync with the hormonal system that our bodies use to regulate weight and appetite naturally.

I don't see why fruit is such a sacred cow anyway, if we can get all the same vitamins and minerals from Veg, why should we eat it everyday?

Why should we have to eat every 2-3 hours? It's a waste of time.
    - We don't have to eat every 2-3 hours, I never said that.
    - Insulin sensitivity is damaged by diets high in saturated fat, and diets high in saturated fat often lead to diabetes.
    - High carbohydrate foods such as lentils, beans, whole grains improve insulin sensitivity
    - The problem with so-called low carbohydrate diets is that it cuts out those healthful foods - whole grains, legumes and fruits - and tends to promote unhealthy foods such as fatty meats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    "You don't look like me in this world without being firm on what you want to do."

- Hashim Amla.
    Quote Originally Posted by DriveClub View Post
    He bowls with a lot of heart, his heart makes the ball bounce more

The CSIRO found a low carb diet (not based on the paleo criteria) halved the need for diabetics medication in a 12month study vs their standard higher carb diets plan. (50g per day, increasing to 70g after 6 weeks.)
    like I said, ANY diet can show these improvements if they help you to lose weight in comparison to the control.

What do you make of Nina Teicholz Hendrix?

https://thebigfatsurprise.com/

Investigative journalist Nina Teicholz reveals the unthinkable: that everything we thought we knew about dietary fats is wrong. She documents how the past sixty years of low-fat nutrition advice has amounted to a vast uncontrolled experiment on the entire population, with disastrous consequences for our health.

For decades, we have been told that the best possible diet involves cutting back on fat, especially saturated fat, and that if we are not getting healthier or thinner it must be because we are not trying hard enough. But what if the low-fat diet is itself the problem? What if those exact foods we’ve been denying ourselves — the creamy cheeses, the sizzling steaks — are themselves the key to reversing the epidemics of obesity, diabetes, and heart disease?

In this captivating and convincing narrative, based on a nine-year-long investigation, Teicholz shows how the misinformation about saturated fats took hold in the scientific community as well as the public imagination and how recent findings overturn these beliefs. She explains why the Mediterranean Diet is not the healthiest, and how we might be replacing trans-fats with something even worse. This startling history demonstrates how nutrition science has gotten it so wrong: how overzealous researchers, through a combination of ego, bias, and premature institutional consensus, have allowed dangerous misrepresentations to become dietary dogma.

With eye-opening scientific rigor, THE BIG FAT SURPRISE upends the conventional wisdom about all fats with the groundbreaking claim that more, not less, dietary fat — including saturated fat — is what leads to better health, wellness, and fitness. Science shows that we have been needlessly avoiding meat, cheese, whole milk and eggs for decades and that we can, guilt-free, welcome these “whole fats” back into our lives
    Check out The Cricket Web Podcast!

The Cricket Web Podcast #33 - I Just Wanna Talk About Vernon Philander

iTunes
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    If only Kane Richardson had played some HK domestic cricket before his ODI debut.
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    The Hong Kong Blitz is better than the IPL.

Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    like I said, ANY diet can show these improvements if they help you to lose weight in comparison to the control.
    I should have explained it better. Both groups were on calorie restriction and lost ~8kg for the year. It was a 10% sat fat content diet for the low carb.

Both reduced need for diabetes meds, low carb group by double that of the high carb group.

They also had a higher increase in HDL and lower blood tryglicerides. Both had similar improvements in the other cardiovascular markers. Low carb didn't perform worse in any category. Seems to me there's more than 1 way to do things.

Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post

What do you make of Nina Teicholz Hendrix?

https://thebigfatsurprise.com/
    That woman should be shot.

Is she lying?

Is she lying?
    She's not a scientist, she's an investigative journalist. Like all of these people she has something to sell. It's a really easy sell to tell people what they want to hear - you can eat all the cream cheese and steak you want! Who doesn't want to believe that? Reinforcing those habits leads to millions and millions of death due to heart disease and diabetes every year.

She's not a scientist, she's an investigative journalist. Like all of these people she has something to sell. It's a really easy sell to tell people what they want to hear - you can eat all the cream cheese and steak you want! Who doesn't want to believe that? Reinforcing those habits leads to millions and millions of death due to heart disease and diabetes every year.
    But is she lying when she talks about how flawed the early studies were? Is she lying when she talks bout how new science disproves a lot of the existing theories we have about nutrition?

But is she lying when she talks about how flawed the early studies were? Is she lying when she talks bout how new science disproves a lot of the existing theories we have about nutrition?
    Yeah she is lying - or at least, she's not telling the whole truth. The early epidemiological studies from the 30s were not flawed, but they were casting a large net - they weren't designed to be robust, they were designed to catch trends to be further investigated.

The studies from the 50s-80s were incredibly robust studies and figured out the general biochemical mechanisms which inform the evidence-based advice today. We're talking proper double blind randomised control studies, and then subsequent metaanalyses - literally billions of data points and, more importantly, scientific consensus.

Recent dissenting studies are either a) fine tuning (i.e. fine, nothing wrong with this) or b) poorly designed studies or worse c) deliberately misleading.

I have already discussed with you but here's a pretty decent summary:
    https://cspinet.org/resource/fat-under-fire
    zorax likes this.

Seems to me there's more than 1 way to do things.
    This is the kicker for me. I see some people go on about the lack of benefits of keto, while reading others who praise it to the high heavens. Who am I to believe? Hendrix obviously feels pretty strongly about the subject, but Dom D'Angelo is as credible to me as anyone else I've read/watched.

IMO the only way for a layman to work out what's best for you is to try a bunch of things, monitor and adjust ad infinitum. Don't just blindly believe what someone tells you. Even assuming the dietary consensus is correct their recommendations aren't going to work for everybody. If carbs don't work for you then cut them out, if keto/paleo/atkins/whatever don't work for you then ditch them. The main thing is to not be a slave to a certain way of eating.
    vogue and wellAlbidarned like this.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEHMbJ_FVfA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5oGJTUpbpA

RIP Craig

Also fwiw my cholesterol, sugars & liver function all moved significantly in the right direction in the first 4 weeks of this diet. It's currently working, so I'm going to keep doing it until it stops working.

I never said that you shouldn't do what works for you, I simply refuted the bullshit claims that come from the Paleo/keto gurus.

Cricketer Of The Year StephenZA's Avatar
    I haven't watched the interview; but is that what she is really saying "eat as much cream cheese and red meat as you want?" Because that is just idiotic.

My reading on the subject is that, particularly for the more western style sloverny lifestyle" we take in to much sugar and carbohydrates; which other than just being unhealthy. affects our insulin levels and metabolism which starts to lead to more complicated issues regarding hunger and diet. The whole low fat diets versus high fat diets issues became more a marketing ploy because most of the studies did not say that high saturated fats cause heart disease, showed more correlative than causative results. They showed that if you had heart disease, high saturated fats made it worse because of higher cholesterol levels, but you probably got the heart disease for other reasons, such as smoking.

But the whole argument regarding fats, sugars/carbohydrates is largely nonsense; we should just be cutting out, most importantly, processed foods. After that, then try to eat fresher produce, eat less and not overdo any one food type. I don't think eating a bit of extra saturated fats causes heart disease but if I had heart disease and/or high cholesterol, I would avoid the saturated fats. I personally avoid sugars (particularly processed) when I can because I think that is the best way to get type 2 diabetes; and I personally tend to eat to much when I get sugar spikes. If you want to lose weight, take in less calories (pretty simple) but keep a balanced diet, do some exercise to get your metabolism up. Generally getting healthier is just breaking bad habits and trying to get some good ones.
    vogue and Redbacks like this.
    It's never your successful friends posting the 'inspirational' quotes...

basically refined sugar is bad AND saturated fat is bad.

cholesterol is very bad as LDL cholesterol has a linear relationship with heart disease.

basically refined sugar is bad AND saturated fat is bad.

cholesterol is very bad as LDL cholesterol has a linear relationship with heart disease.
    Yeah, although ghee seems to be an exception to the saturated fat rule (or at least that's what I'm led to believe)
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information