cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Paleo diet

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Well, the 'paleo diet' or 'our ancestors were sprinters' is not exactly a scientific theory in a peer reviewed journal that we're debating....I mean what exactly would humans sprint away from? Every predator on the savannah would easily outsprint a bipedal human......

Evolutionary biologists tend to be the most reserved when attributing evolutionary advantage to a function or to give reasons for its success. It's usually other people that make that stuff up, most of which is not supported by evidence and is not empirically very strong (Stephen Pinker writes very well about this).

Endurance may not have been favorable over sprinting, but once humans went bipedal for whatever other reason, it was the best to go that route. Given the conditions, it would certainly have been more favorable than being sprinters while being bipedal. I think the considerable physiological changes that have occurred to support endurance (as far as we can tell) give pretty good evidence that the ability was selected for at some point.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 25-10-2010 at 10:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Given the conditions, it would certainly have been more favorable than being sprinters while being bipedal.
    Yeah, that's the key issue, isn't it? Evolution isn't really a process of finding the best possible tools for a species to thrive, but rather making the best of the circumstances. Evolving to be sprinters is kinda pointless when anything you might want to run away from runs on four legs and will catch you easily.
    It's cold on the outside they say
    But the cold leaves you clear while the heat leaves a haze

Eat a steak FFS.
    Flem274* likes this.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Pretty sure God wanted us to eat meat - thats why he preferred Abel's offering to Cain's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

And created the pig.

See rippers sig for my words of wisdom on the subject of eating meat.

International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Been following a slightly modified version of Paleo for about 6 months now ( I still eat cheese). I think it's pretty easy to maintain, enough 'fake' carb items are on the market now so I can still have the occasional pizza or protein bread.

It's definitely helped with inflammation, seems to be one of the benefits most people expereince. I've always had a sore right shoulder and that's gone down significantly in the last few months. I found it easy to just eat till you're full and stay in good shape. Dropped from 82 to 78kg.

Eating less meals also works a lot better for me. I like not having to eat every few hours with the endless cycle of carb high/lows.
    vogue likes this.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    slightly modified?

real paleo is grubbing around in the woods hoping for something useful like some non-toxic berries or roots then very occasionally taking down a deer
    zorax and hendrix like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    I need u like Henry Nicholls needs batting school
    He was terrible in that series
    I need u like Ross Taylor needed to be fit
    He's way better than Henry Nicholls
    And now all I can think about is your smile
    and that ****** test series too
    Losing to Australia sucked and I miss you
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

I can't really see an issue with Dairy, but drink Almond milk anyway as I like being in Ketosis.

One major problem for Paleo is it sells cook books but it's not much good for supplement and processed food manufacturers.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Shri's Avatar
    I am thinking about drastically cutting carbs from my diet starting next week. Heard of a diet where its okay to eat pretty much anything but carbs and still lose weight. Don't know what its called.
    Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    "Still waiting for bole trekking Marayyye". Keep Kumar up in the third umpires box please,its hilarious. Him almost screwing up a DRS referral a definite highlight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Ashwin is like one of those paintings whose eye always follows you around the room. He'd be hell in a court room. The judge and the witness would always think he's lookong at both of them at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    You are basically saying he would have made an amazing lawyer. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    No im saying he's partly cross-eyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Shri View Post
    I am thinking about drastically cutting carbs from my diet starting next week. Heard of a diet where its okay to eat pretty much anything but carbs and still lose weight. Don't know what its called.
    Ketogenic diet, just not the epileptic version (which is 92% fat, 8% protein). It's more in ratios like 70:20:10 and a could be considered a modified version of Paleo.

You can't eat 'anything' technically, but what is likely to happen is that your appetite after about a week totally disappears and it becomes easy to eat in line with requirements or to drop cals without hunger pains.

The first week 'flu' can be really tough, apparently replacement of electrolyte can mitigate the fatigue. 2-3 cups of bone broth will help, add salt to everything! and by day ~5 it's almost back to normal and you end up with almost abundant energy.

A slightly more expensive diet though than standard.

International Vice-Captain vogue's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbacks View Post
    Been following a slightly modified version of Paleo for about 6 months now ( I still eat cheese). I think it's pretty easy to maintain, enough 'fake' carb items are on the market now so I can still have the occasional pizza or protein bread.

It's definitely helped with inflammation, seems to be one of the benefits most people expereince. I've always had a sore right shoulder and that's gone down significantly in the last few months. I found it easy to just eat till you're full and stay in good shape. Dropped from 82 to 78kg.

Eating less meals also works a lot better for me. I like not having to eat every few hours with the endless cycle of carb high/lows.
    Am interested in this as I have had problems with both shoulders for a couple of years and if you have noticed a real difference would appreciate if you have time to point me in the right direction for further information. So I don’t have to trawl through the usual peripheral stuff.
    They talk of a man betraying his country, his friends, his sweetheart. There must be a moral bond first. All a man can betray is his conscience. Joseph Conrad

If you're my friend I should be able to talk to you but I can't, and if I can't talk to you, well, what is the point of you? Of us?

'Art is the means by which we communicate what it feels like to be alive' - Antony Gormley

I like the idea of no processed foods. I think that makes sense.

But grains and dairy have been a part of human diets of ages - if not amongst white people ancestors, then certainly amongst lots of a Asians' ancestors.

I think just go with your gut. Cut out the nonsense foods, and eat what suits your body. If grains and dairy don't jive with you, leave them out. If meat bothers you, then leave that out. Just find what works, keep it clean, control your calories, and stay as active as possible.
    Check out The Cricket Web Podcast!

The Cricket Web Podcast #33 - I Just Wanna Talk About Vernon Philander

iTunes
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    If only Kane Richardson had played some HK domestic cricket before his ODI debut.
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    The Hong Kong Blitz is better than the IPL.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbacks View Post
    Ketogenic diet, just not the epileptic version (which is 92% fat, 8% protein). It's more in ratios like 70:20:10 and a could be considered a modified version of Paleo.

You can't eat 'anything' technically, but what is likely to happen is that your appetite after about a week totally disappears and it becomes easy to eat in line with requirements or to drop cals without hunger pains.

The first week 'flu' can be really tough, apparently replacement of electrolyte can mitigate the fatigue. 2-3 cups of bone broth will help, add salt to everything! and by day ~5 it's almost back to normal and you end up with almost abundant energy.

A slightly more expensive diet though than standard.
    My wife and I have been doing keto for the past month or two. We're doing a 65:25:10 F/P/C split so a bit lighter on the fat, but I must say it's working out great. I had a host of small to medium sized health problems (heart issues, stomach/acid issues, low energy, brain fog etc) that have all cleared up almost entirely since switching to the diet. The stomach issue in particular cleared up almost instantly. I've lost 5.5 kilos in 6 weeks without changing much else. My mood has improved pretty substantially as well.

I thought it would be really difficult, but I've found it easy for two reasons:
    My wife has really taken to keto cooking. Eggplant lasagnas, almond meal pizzas, schnitzel using pork crackling instead of bread crumbs etc. There hasn't even been a slight drop in food quality, so my tastebuds haven't felt cheated
    It's really changed the way I experience hunger. It's easier to get full and hunger is more of a gradual, steady feeling rather than an urgent need. It feels like I only need to fight my brain to stop myself eating, rather than fighting my brain and the gnawing feeling in my stomach

Didn't experience any flu like symptoms. My energy was low for the first few days, but it didn't last long. Only other drawback would be a somewhat unpleasant metallic taste in my mouth for the first few weeks but it's pretty minor. Bowel movements changed, but not for the worse per se.

I think a good rule with these sorts of diets (keto, paleo, atkins) is to try them out. You're not going to kill yourself doing it for a month. Just give one a try, monitor your weight, energy levels, brain function etc over that time and take it from there. I don't think there are any miracles, just certain diets that work better for certain people.
    vogue likes this.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEHMbJ_FVfA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5oGJTUpbpA

RIP Craig

Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    But grains and dairy have been a part of human diets of ages - if not amongst white people ancestors, then certainly amongst lots of a Asians' ancestors.
    Agriculture has been around for several thousand years, but humanity has been around for a couple hundred thousand and for the vast majority of that time we were hunter gatherers. That's before taking into account that our broader evolutionary path over millennia likely contained next to no grain/dairy products.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information