Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with Melbourne, Bris, Gold Coast and Sydney music scenes

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar

Help with Melbourne, Bris, Gold Coast and Sydney music scenes

Hi all.

My band is about to release an album from our US-based record label;

The Colourphonics - Pop Rock

Can download our album for free at the link in my sig if you're interested in having a listen and if you believe like we believe, read the following. if not, ignore the following but play the songs to death anyway.

We're looking to start booking tours and whatnot, initially interstate. Only problem is, we're a bit short of people on the ground so we're looking for people who live in the above locations who'd be willing to help us with various promotional initiatives and dealing in person with venues if the need arises (not often, things are usually done via email).

First off, if anyone knows people in the gig scenes of those places who we can speak to regarding booking gigs, that in and of itself would be a huge help. Or if you're willing to sniff out some for us that'd be great too. We also may need some help with booking agents and an in-person meeting may well be required. I've already enquired about gigs with places like Revolver and The Evelyn in Melbs and The Vanguard in Sydney so any further suggestions for venues who'd suit our style elsewhere would be most welcome. If you're willing to head in and have a chat to the venue operators or booking agents, that'd be great but generally it'd be an email thing from me.

Any of the above would be massive and, tbh, is the bread-and-butter of the band operation more so than anything else.

Now for the more 'extra mile' stuff. Once we have gigs booked, we will get posters and other promotional material to the venues as well as try to get spots on local radio, etc. but what would really help is if we had people on the ground who could get posters up in the surrounding areas, Uni's, etc. We'd send them over or arrange a local pick-up at a printing place so try to keep your costs down to a minimum. Any non-trivial costs we'd reimburse. We have a CD sampler of our material (3 album tracks, not 30 second snippits or lame **** like that) which could benefit from distribution too so if you're prepared to head to a venue and hand out CD's, that'd be grand.

As a reward, you'd be guaranteed an album CD in the first instance, no sweat. As time goes on, there will definitely be t-shirts and other goodies we'll pass on to you. Free tix at the door too, obv.

So, who's in?
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Spam thread. plz delete and ban.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Cribb will confirm, I suspect, but there's a member on cricsim called Rabbit Boy who gigs around Melbourne a bit with a band. He might be some assistance.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Closed and banned.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    What sort of cut we looking at here mate?
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    The Arts Factory in Sydney could be an option to play at
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Yeah, that's a good one. Not entirely sure what sort of venue you're after, but in Sydney you could give the Sandringham Hotel, The Basement and the Gaelic Club a go as well. They all book newer bands from time to time (often in the Sandringham's case), and cater to similar genres to you guys.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

f00ler has connections at Redfern RSL iirc.

And by connections I mean 'a life ban' ftr.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    There was some unpleasantness.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Sydney live band scene died with the Sydney Cove Tavern imho.

Ding Dong in the city could be an option, I have a mate who has some stuff to do with them and the Tone Deaf online magazine if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    spam thread. Plz delete and ban.
    awt****

Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    Cribb will confirm, I suspect, but there's a member on cricsim called Rabbit Boy who gigs around Melbourne a bit with a band. He might be some assistance.
    Yeah, he does. Not sure how much use he'd be though as his stuff sounds comparatively smaller than what TC is after.
    I could be wide of the mark though, I suspect he'd be able to point you in the right direction though.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad View Post
    Yeah, that's a good one. Not entirely sure what sort of venue you're after, but in Sydney you could give the Sandringham Hotel, The Basement and the Gaelic Club a go as well. They all book newer bands from time to time (often in the Sandringham's case), and cater to similar genres to you guys.
    Think I've been to one of those.

But yeah, Oxford Arts Factory could be a good place to look into. Would depend how many people you expect to turn up though
    Last edited by GotSpin; 06-09-2010 at 04:23 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information