Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Most dramatic game you've ever played in

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!

Most dramatic game you've ever played in

For me personally it was a school game final this year, we made a paltry 107-3 in a 20 over game on a slow wicket and wet outfield. The opposition were cruising along at 89-1 in 15 overs. They got all out for 105. 9 wickets fell for just 16 runs

Pretty insane day, we all went crazy

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Church pie eating contest that I won, two towns over.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Should've specified which game

vcs
    I once won a set from 4-0, 0-40 down.

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    Red Dead Redemption or mass effect
    Parmi

Avatar now by choice. 5-0 in the Ashes and all.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    RDR was meh

Unreal Tournament 2004: Down 8-2 in Capture the Flag Insta Gib on a Thorns map. Capped 6 straight times to level, assisted a cap with 3:45 left in the game to go ahead 9-8. Capped the final cap with :47 left to win 10-8. Scored 204 points in 15 minutes (10 points per cap, 1 point per kill) to dominate the game.

UT2k4: Jailbreak Semi-Finals: We won the first map but dropped the next two in a best of 5. Down 2-1 in the series it was their pick of the map and they chose the map they had their best results on. Since death meant a trip to jail awaiting your teammates to release you, I camped the enemy jail switch alone (it was 5v5). My teammates failed to defend our own switch, but I kept myself alive enough to keep releasing them, bailing 68 teammates in the span of 8 minutes (in a 15 minute game). I racked up only my 2nd ever online Wicked Sick Spree (30 kills w/o dying) and saw them send the entire team after me at one point. I scalped everyone of them in under 15 seconds to put us ahead in the score 3-2 with 1:34 left. We held on to force a 5th map. A random map was picked, and I racked up 72 kills in 15 minutes to romp them 12-1 in the 5th game. We went onto the finals to face an undefeated team. Down 2-0 we played on our best map. Score was tied 2-2 with :35 seconds to play. I was the last member on my team alive with 1 on theirs remaining. We took each other out (I barely died) to force a double-capture which releases all teammates and resets the round. We lost in overtime 3-2.

Cricket: The only match I ever played was used with tennis ball cans as stumps and a baseball bat because we lacked all equipment. Hell we never proper bowled because we used regular tennis balls and didn't know how to, but that's the glory of the game is just playing and enjoying it. It was a 6v6 10/10. We surrendered 64 for 5 after those ten. I came into bat 6th and slogged two sixes and a four to put us at 59 for 5 with 3 balls remaining. I hit a quick single to make it 60 for 5 with 2 balls to go. The next balls was chopped at and missed by my partner. I tried to calm him and tell him to just concentrate on hitting a clear, crisp, powerful shot and not to overdue it because the bat will do the work (baseball bat on tennis ball = auto power). He didn't listen and axed the ball high. It was caught near the boundary rope and we were all out on 62.
    Last edited by Spudsy2061; 29-08-2010 at 03:19 AM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Once played in a game of cricket where my team was bowled out for 31 on a pitch which had a thin layer of water on it from rain. Myself I contributed a 25-ball duck, couldn't lay wood on anything. The bowler who got me bowled bowled three balls; one was short, ripped away from the bat and went through to the 'keeper at about shin height, the next was two feet outside off, ripped back and nearly took my adams apple on the way through to the fine-leg fielder (the 'keeper had no chance it spat that much) and the third took the shoulder of my bat to gully.

The crazy part? We defended that score by 5 runs. That's how bad the deck was. I took 6 and did nothing but bowl with the seam dead-straight but you'd think I was bowling with a tape-ball the amount of movement was in the deck. Three wickets were bowled from balls which ran along the ground.

Really wasn't fair, shouldn't have played, lucky noone was hurt, etc. We, of course, bagged the oppo mercilessly.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

International Captain kingkallis's Avatar
    Back in 2000, we won the Village Cup. On a good wicket we got bundled out for just 57 and we did notice some amazing swing on display from our known opponents.

Luckily ours was considered the best bowling unit during that time and a small speech from our skipper pumped all up and we won the tourney by 3 runs. Some of the local run machines were playing for the other team but we were just so amazing that day...

I took 2 wickets for 7 and took a one hand diving catch to dismiss their 'Lara'.

I have kept the ball as the souvenir.
    CricZo XI - Draft League

Season 1 M Hayden, G Gooch, R Dravid, W Hammond, K Pietersen, G Sobers, R Marsh (wk), R Benaud (c), D Steyn, W Hall, N Adcock

Season 2 J Hobbs, B Richards, D Boon, H Taylor, C Lloyd (c), A Stewart (wk), T Goddard, A Davidson, H Tayfield, C Ambrose, H Griffith

Season 3 H Sutcliffe, M Hayden, I Chappell (c), G Pollock, A Faulkner, M Hussey, D Lindsay (wk), I Botham, A Kumble, M Marshall, D Lillee

Age of Empres II - The Conquerors, 4 on 4 LAN Game.

The 4 of us were on the north island, and the enemy on the south island. Wonder victory was an option, and the enemy had built one at the very far end of their island, and we needed to destroy it soon to avoid defeat. It was a race against the clock, and our individual treasuries weren't in good shape either. The only safe passage of waterway provided me a rear entry into the island, while the rest of my team kept them occupied at the front by sending in spurts of loose change as decoy. The rear entrance was still manned pretty heavily and the pathway to the wonder guarded by half a dozen castles. Frustratingly the first boatload of petards was only just enough to breach the gates at the coast, and the second wave barely took care of the guards and around half the castles. The clock was ticking, and just when it seemed the enemy would have their wonder victory, my last roll of the dice - the third boatload of petards managed to travel all the way up to the wonder, and they were barely sufficient in number to blow it up with less than 10 seconds left on the clock. The adrenaline surge was crazy. We then rallied and butt****ed them to death.

(****s may now proceed to naughty all the homo erotic bits)
    Last edited by G.I.Joe; 29-08-2010 at 12:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

Banned
    Combining with the last man plundered about 45 runs in less than 5 overs to win a game which at one point was dead and buried for us. For me it was a crucial match as I was not having a good run with the bat. I am a slow scorer, who takes time to settle, but on that day I ended up with a fifty from 35 balls. Looking back I can only imaging how I managed to do that.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    From the Your English Cricket Season: 2008 thread... dating back four years exactly, infact - Bank Holiday 2006:

Bank Holiday Monday: Exeter St James Six-a-side

Sherborne Old Boys 78-1 [5]
    Exeter III 38 [4.4] - Pickup 16 (5)

We're called Exeter thirds. Fundamentally, we're Exeter fifths, or in terms of strength of side we could feasibly enter in a six a side tournament, we're more like eighths. The average age is 14 and a half, it's only that high because I'm 20, and one of us is eleven. At least the draw is kind enough for us to avoid the Village VI, who've won this the last three years, and Budleigh Salterton, who've picked their overseas pro.

We, nevertheless, did draw Sherborne OB, who've been the runners-up for the last three years. We start reasonably well with the ball until our last two overs go for 41. I decide to reconsider the idea of keeping wicket whilst the 11-year-old bowls - we're both likely to go at 20 per over bowling leggies, but at least my spirits won't be crushed. In reply, things didn't go well. At all.

I came to the crease after 3.4 of our five overs, after Matt (13) was given out caught having fended a beamer off his head - the scoreboard read 22/3, and we needed 57 from 8 balls. I hit my first ball for four through midwicket, and the next went over the keeper for two. The first ball of the final over saw a brilliant catch from slip, diving away to take a skier after a long run, which left me facing with 51 needed off five. One went for four over midwicket and then I hit my first ever six. Of all the places I could have hit it in, it was driven over cover from - as every shot I played was - two steps down the track. It's not how I expected to finally record a maximum, but I wasn't complaining. Unfortunately, I then got cleaned up.

Exeter St James Colts 70-2 [5]
    Exeter III 48-1 [5] - T Miller 25*

This time our last three overs only cost 30 between them; unfortunately the damage had already been done as ESJ were 40-0 after two. My first ball of the tournament thudded straight into leg stump, much to the surprise of everyone, and my over only costs eight. Two streaky fours off the final deliveries push the opposition up to 70.

I was persuaded to open after my fireworks against Sherborne - my first ball pitched back of a length and hit leg stump via my right ankle to record my thirteenth duck, fourth golden and first diamond. As I reflected on my walk back, there's not much you can do with a grubber when your entire game plan consists of launching the ball wherever your swing takes it. 11-year-old Theo batted through the innings to make 25*, including some great footwork and hard hits through midwicket. Still, it wasn't not a win - or even close - and it's not much fun losing...

Countess Wear 68-1 [5]
    Exeter III 69-2 [4.5] - M Miller 23*, Thomson 20, Pickup 12* (4)

The first 15 balls of the CW innings cost just 17 runs, and yielded a run out as they made the mistake of taking on Theo's arm from the boundary. Unfortunately the last 15 balls cost precisely three times as many, and despite my over being on a much 'better' length and line than against the ESJ side, it cost 20 including two giant sixes over the legside. Still, it was just 14 per over, and if we got off to a start, then of course we could get it. I wasn't sure whether I was trying harder to convince myself or the other players, but I didn't let on. Like I'd said to Matt earlier, if you don't think you've got a chance of winning, then you might as well go home.

We got off to a start. Hugh (14) cut the first ball through point, and after three overs we were 42 without loss through a combination of big hits and bigger edges - but Hugh fell for 20, holing out, to the first ball of the fourth over, and we only managed nine from it. Six balls left, and eighteen were needed. I'd done it against SOB earlier, I told the others, so we could do it again. Pete nicked the next ball to the keeper. 18 off 5. It wasn't impossible. "All or nothing", I told Matt as I walked out to the middle.

Trusting the down-the-pitch approach again, I hit my first ball straight to long-on - who completely misjudged it, came in several steps too far and watched it sail over his head for four. Still alive. The next ball caught a thick inside edge and sped away through backward square for four more - ten off three. The next ball caught an even thicker edge - of the outside variety this time - and bounced twice on its way to the third man boundary. I can't remember exactly what I said to Matt after that ball, but it was sufficiently unprintable for me to apologise immediately afterwards...

Six needed off two. The next ball was wider, outside off stump and my swing failed to connect with anything but fresh air. However, I think the blast wave put the wicketkeeper off, and we scrambled two byes before an overthrow gifted us a third. One ball, three needed. I set off running at the moment the bowler released the ball, and was virtually at the striker's end by the time it met the keeper's gloves. Unfortunately for CW, the ball was again wide outside off stump - too wide, in fact - and wides cost three. We'd done it.

My batting yield for the day was ten balls faced, 28 runs scored, five fours and a six. In one of those wonderful statistical oddities that cricket so often hurls up, Shahid Afridi had an identical return for Pakistan in the Twenty20 clash with England.

ESJ Colts lost to Village in the first semi-final, but not before making 62 and allowing us to feel better about conceding 70, before Sherborne shocked Budleigh Salterton - even with their Aussie (who had taken 6 6 6 6 6 4 off an over against Coaver in the groups - the four bounced about three yards from the boundary) and set up a repeat of the 2005 final. And the 2004 final. And the 2003 final. And Village won again.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post

The 4 of us were on the north island, and the enemy on the south island. Wonder victory was an option, and the enemy had built one at the very far end of their island, and we needed to destroy it soon to avoid defeat. It was a race against the clock, and our individual treasuries weren't in good shape either. The only safe passage of waterway provided me a rear entry into the island, while the rest of my team kept them occupied at the front by sending in spurts of loose change as decoy. The rear entrance was still manned pretty heavily and the pathway to the wonder guarded by half a dozen castles. Frustratingly the first boatload of petards was only just enough to breach the gates at the coast, and the second wave barely took care of the guards and around half the castles. The clock was ticking, and just when it seemed the enemy would have their wonder victory, my last roll of the dice - the third boatload of petards managed to travel all the way up to the wonder, and they were barely sufficient in number to blow it up with less than 10 seconds left on the clock. The adrenaline surge was crazy. We then rallied and butt****ed them to death.

Jesus saves

member of Liverpool FC and Melbourne City

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post

Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    That is gold GI Joe, well played indeed.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information