Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legal question

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar

Legal question

Can I be registered as a sole trader at the age of 16?
    Everyone wants to change the world, noone wants to change himself.

-Tolstoy

cpr
    Tax purposes, yes. You'll be treated the same as any other self employed/freelance/contractor. Many a child actor still gets screwed by us despite their age (not in the Roman Polanski way)

I say if you've got a plan for business, do it. Do it now whilst you've not got financial overheads such as a home/car/family/pet/cocaine problem. Worst that can happen is it'll go amazingly tits up, leave you in huge debt.... Just claim bankruptcy and go back to education, everything will have blown over by the time you've finished studying, and you'll be back with a clean slate
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    I've no idea what 'Sole Trader' means, so did anyone think of cobbler from Julius Caesar?
    Last edited by silentstriker; 15-07-2010 at 07:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    I've no idea what 'Sole Trader' means, so did anyone think of cobbler from Julius Caesar?
    Thought of this tbh.

cpr
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    sole trader basically means you work for yourself, your profit is yours, the debts are yours to. Most common form of self employed work
    A partnership is a more formal structure between multiple traders (common one being a husband and wife team who may run a shop etc, maybe a few solicitors running an office), still generally loosely structured though.
    Beyond that your into setting up as a limited company, having named directors, formally employing staff, paying wages through PAYE tax systems (then paying yourself in dividends to dodge your own tax)

Note you can employ staff under all 3, usually a sole trader will take someone on a a contractee (ie, bring in for short periods, usually a big job that requires an extra hand, can then deduct that persons wage off their turnover)

International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Don't know about other places but in Canada yes. You can be self employed at 16.
    BE AFRIDI!
    Be VERY AFRIDI!!

International Regular
    Wanna become a businessman aye CDM? What sort of business?

Hmm, in Australia if the company is to be registered then it must be by someone over the age of 18.

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    Tax purposes, yes. You'll be treated the same as any other self employed/freelance/contractor. Many a child actor still gets screwed by us despite their age (not in the Roman Polanski way)

I say if you've got a plan for business, do it. Do it now whilst you've not got financial overheads such as a home/car/family/pet/cocaine problem. Worst that can happen is it'll go amazingly tits up, leave you in huge debt.... Just claim bankruptcy and go back to education, everything will have blown over by the time you've finished studying, and you'll be back with a clean slate
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jakester1288 View Post
    Wanna become a businessman aye CDM? What sort of business?
    Not sure yet mate.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    In English law it is not straightforward to enforce contracts against people who are under 18 so I suspect you'd have problems setting up any business which needed formal contractual arrangements with customers or suppliers

cpr
    Well he can be a listed director of a company at 16, so setting as a business and having the contracts with them is a way round it.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    Well he can be a listed director of a company at 16, so setting as a business and having the contracts with them is a way round it.
    Not sure if it would be as easy as that tbh. If CDM is the sole employee/director of a company he sets up then in essence the contracts would have to be enforceable against him, as there is nobody else they could be enforced against, even if they were in the companies name rather than his own.

cpr
    True I suppose. I don't know the workings of it all though, just how to steal money off them.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Not sure if it would be as easy as that tbh. If CDM is the sole employee/director of a company he sets up then in essence the contracts would have to be enforceable against him, as there is nobody else they could be enforced against, even if they were in the companies name rather than his own.
    Hmm, thought that the corporate veil protected him from that. There's precedence in English law from memory.

cpr
    AFAIK It does to an extent, as the transactions are not in your name.... There is a certain seperation between you the person and you the worker, however I've never dealt with the corporate side of things so I couldn't go any further.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information