Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: LGBT Thread

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Me neither. It's just something I take the piss about a bit rather than a real opinion. Half-serious.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    You're way off the mark here Uppercut. It's like comparing Parkison's disease to not being able to run very fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

If I understand the basis of that analogy, you're underestimating just how much of a hindrance being stupid can be when trying to learn something.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    If I understand the basis of that analogy, you're underestimating just how much of a hindrance being stupid can be when trying to learn something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Not really. Given what I do for a living I have a very good understanding the challenges that people face when learning something. But of course, dyslexia doesn't just affect you trying to learn something...

Of course not. Nor does lacking in basic intelligence. Where does the difference lie, exactly?

Are you being deliberately obtuse? Have you never known anyone with dyslexia?

Aside from this, you are ignoring the fact that with adjustments made dyslexia can be countered, for example by using different coloured paper or special computer screens. What do you propose is done to aid 'stupid' people? There's a difference between not understanding a question and not being able to see it, it would be ridiculous not to acknowledge and account for this.

I'm being deliberately obtuse with the use of the word "stupid". Thing is, there are all kinds of mental issues, many of which haven't yet been identified, that can make learning very difficult. Special computer screens and coloured paper are very specific measures to combat dyslexia, but the majority of those currently in place would also be appropriate to combat any other natural difficulty with reading and writing- some of which would, in society, just be labelled as stupidity.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Quoted for posterity.
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    Sigged, tbh.
    No making fun of the fat guy! It's discrimination. I have a thyroid issue.

It's the thyroid that compels you to eat copious amounts of meat, sugar, and drink large quantities of beer, and makes you too lazy to exercise, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

I'm being deliberately obtuse with the use of the word "stupid". Thing is, there are all kinds of mental issues, many of which haven't yet been identified, that can make learning very difficult. Special computer screens and coloured paper are very specific measures to combat dyslexia, but the majority of those currently in place would also be appropriate to combat any other natural difficulty with reading and writing- some of which would, in society, just be labelled as stupidity.
    Just to be clear, there's an element of devil's advocate about my posting. I'm not qualified to hold an opinion because I don't understand dyslexia- all I'm saying is that I'm yet to hear quite what it is that distinguishes it from any other form of difficulty in reading and writing, thereby making it eligible for such preferential treatment.

I really don't actually care that much. I'm just predisposed to argue back at people.

You keep going on about learning but that's only a tiny part of the issue

Just to be clear, there's an element of devil's advocate about my posting. I'm not qualified to hold an opinion because I don't understand dyslexia- all I'm saying is that I'm yet to hear quite what it is that distinguishes it from any other form of difficulty in reading and writing, thereby making it eligible for such preferential treatment.

I really don't actually care that much. I'm just predisposed to argue back at people.
    Well it isn't just a difficulty in reading and writing so it's flawed from the start. Dyslexia causes you to not be able to read because you can't programme the letters into the right order, basically. I'm no scientist or expert so I'm sure someone else could give you a better definition, but if you can't read then you don't know what a word says, if you have dyslexia you know what a word should look like but don't see it that way.

Aside from this, as Pothas said earlier on, other learning disabilities are accounted for with benefits and special treatment.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    And yet they don't qualify for benefits the way dyslexic people do.

What about people with a natural (yet, like both dyslexia and a low IQ, impossible to diagnose) inability to do Maths. Should they be afforded, say, extra time in an exam?
    I don't know about the UK, but in Australian schools (at least some of them) people who can't read properly can have someone in their grade sit with them during an exam. As ****ing incredible as I find that to be, it seems to be true as my cousin was one of the helpers.

This is in Years 10,11 and 12 mind you. And as far as I can tell, they don't have a disability, they just managed to make it through the education system without learning basic literacy.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    And yet they don't qualify for benefits the way dyslexic people do.

What about people with a natural (yet, like both dyslexia and a low IQ, impossible to diagnose) inability to do Maths. Should they be afforded, say, extra time in an exam?
    I don't know about the UK, but in Australian schools (at least some of them) people who can't read properly can have someone in their grade sit with them during an exam. As ****ing incredible as I find that to be, it seems to be true as my cousin was one of the helpers.

This is in Years 10,11 and 12 mind you. And as far as I know, they don't have a disability, they just managed to make it through the education system without learning basic literacy.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information