Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 177

Thread: LGBT Thread

  1. #106
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,648
    Me neither. It's just something I take the piss about a bit rather than a real opinion. Half-serious.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

  2. #107
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    On a trip to the moon
    Posts
    48,704
    You're way off the mark here Uppercut. It's like comparing Parkison's disease to not being able to run very fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

  3. #108
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,648
    If I understand the basis of that analogy, you're underestimating just how much of a hindrance being stupid can be when trying to learn something.

  4. #109
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl;lsFJg/s
    Posts
    28,449
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    If I understand the basis of that analogy, you're underestimating just how much of a hindrance being stupid can be when trying to learn something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh


  5. #110
    Hall of Fame Member _Ed_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Auckland, Aotearoa
    Posts
    19,862

  6. #111
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    On a trip to the moon
    Posts
    48,704
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    If I understand the basis of that analogy, you're underestimating just how much of a hindrance being stupid can be when trying to learn something.
    Not really. Given what I do for a living I have a very good understanding the challenges that people face when learning something. But of course, dyslexia doesn't just affect you trying to learn something...

  7. #112
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,648
    Of course not. Nor does lacking in basic intelligence. Where does the difference lie, exactly?

  8. #113
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    On a trip to the moon
    Posts
    48,704
    Are you being deliberately obtuse? Have you never known anyone with dyslexia?

    Aside from this, you are ignoring the fact that with adjustments made dyslexia can be countered, for example by using different coloured paper or special computer screens. What do you propose is done to aid 'stupid' people? There's a difference between not understanding a question and not being able to see it, it would be ridiculous not to acknowledge and account for this.

  9. #114
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,648
    I'm being deliberately obtuse with the use of the word "stupid". Thing is, there are all kinds of mental issues, many of which haven't yet been identified, that can make learning very difficult. Special computer screens and coloured paper are very specific measures to combat dyslexia, but the majority of those currently in place would also be appropriate to combat any other natural difficulty with reading and writing- some of which would, in society, just be labelled as stupidity.

  10. #115
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,851
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Quoted for posterity.
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    Sigged, tbh.
    No making fun of the fat guy! It's discrimination. I have a thyroid issue.










    It's the thyroid that compels you to eat copious amounts of meat, sugar, and drink large quantities of beer, and makes you too lazy to exercise, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing

  11. #116
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,648
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    I'm being deliberately obtuse with the use of the word "stupid". Thing is, there are all kinds of mental issues, many of which haven't yet been identified, that can make learning very difficult. Special computer screens and coloured paper are very specific measures to combat dyslexia, but the majority of those currently in place would also be appropriate to combat any other natural difficulty with reading and writing- some of which would, in society, just be labelled as stupidity.
    Just to be clear, there's an element of devil's advocate about my posting. I'm not qualified to hold an opinion because I don't understand dyslexia- all I'm saying is that I'm yet to hear quite what it is that distinguishes it from any other form of difficulty in reading and writing, thereby making it eligible for such preferential treatment.

    I really don't actually care that much. I'm just predisposed to argue back at people.

  12. #117
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    On a trip to the moon
    Posts
    48,704
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    I'm being deliberately obtuse with the use of the word "stupid". Thing is, there are all kinds of mental issues, many of which haven't yet been identified, that can make learning very difficult. Special computer screens and coloured paper are very specific measures to combat dyslexia, but the majority of those currently in place would also be appropriate to combat any other natural difficulty with reading and writing- some of which would, in society, just be labelled as stupidity.
    You keep going on about learning but that's only a tiny part of the issue

  13. #118
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    On a trip to the moon
    Posts
    48,704
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Just to be clear, there's an element of devil's advocate about my posting. I'm not qualified to hold an opinion because I don't understand dyslexia- all I'm saying is that I'm yet to hear quite what it is that distinguishes it from any other form of difficulty in reading and writing, thereby making it eligible for such preferential treatment.

    I really don't actually care that much. I'm just predisposed to argue back at people.
    Well it isn't just a difficulty in reading and writing so it's flawed from the start. Dyslexia causes you to not be able to read because you can't programme the letters into the right order, basically. I'm no scientist or expert so I'm sure someone else could give you a better definition, but if you can't read then you don't know what a word says, if you have dyslexia you know what a word should look like but don't see it that way.

    Aside from this, as Pothas said earlier on, other learning disabilities are accounted for with benefits and special treatment.

  14. #119
    Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    17,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    And yet they don't qualify for benefits the way dyslexic people do.

    What about people with a natural (yet, like both dyslexia and a low IQ, impossible to diagnose) inability to do Maths. Should they be afforded, say, extra time in an exam?
    I don't know about the UK, but in Australian schools (at least some of them) people who can't read properly can have someone in their grade sit with them during an exam. As ****ing incredible as I find that to be, it seems to be true as my cousin was one of the helpers.

    This is in Years 10,11 and 12 mind you. And as far as I can tell, they don't have a disability, they just managed to make it through the education system without learning basic literacy.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

    R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

    R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

    Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

    "How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

  15. #120
    Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    17,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    And yet they don't qualify for benefits the way dyslexic people do.

    What about people with a natural (yet, like both dyslexia and a low IQ, impossible to diagnose) inability to do Maths. Should they be afforded, say, extra time in an exam?
    I don't know about the UK, but in Australian schools (at least some of them) people who can't read properly can have someone in their grade sit with them during an exam. As ****ing incredible as I find that to be, it seems to be true as my cousin was one of the helpers.

    This is in Years 10,11 and 12 mind you. And as far as I know, they don't have a disability, they just managed to make it through the education system without learning basic literacy.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. ***Official*** Tendulkar vs Ponting Thread
    By vic_orthdox in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 1338
    Last Post: 16-08-2012, 02:08 AM
  2. The no stats thread
    By archie mac in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 140
    Last Post: 07-04-2010, 08:13 AM
  3. Thread Hijacks
    By sledger in forum Site Discussion
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 10-02-2010, 04:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •