Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: LGBT Thread

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    The thing is, for me, "positive discrimination" is a very bad thing, it's not positive at all. Though I do appreciate at times it may be impossible for people from minority groups to achieve certain goals or whatever without it.

However, giving minority groups extra rights that normal people would not have is abhorent however I look at it. It creates barriers between groups of society, it creates a "them and us" situation that the whole process is designed to avoid. This is a fundamentally bad thing.
    In the UK we have the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 (DDA) which introduces positive discrimination in favour of people with disabilities. It requires employers, service providers etc to make "reasonable adjustments" to their practices and premises to cater for the needs of disabled people. For instance, a partially-sighted person might be entitled to expect written communications to be provided in large print; a person with a hearing impairment might be entitled to expect a hearing loop to be installed; a person with dyslexia might be entitled more time in which to complete a written recruitment exercise. This is positive discrimination but few people seem to regard it as either abhorrent or creating a them-and-us situation. On the contrary, it's a pretty well-worked solution to the difficulties and inequalities faced by people with disabilities.

More controversially, the new Equalities Act will, if fully implemented, allow "positive action" (ie the desire to rectify imbalances in a workforce in which certain groups are under-represented) to be used as a "tie breaker" in recruitment decisions between two candidates of equal merit. It's not yet clear whether the new Coalition Gov't will actually bring the relevant parts of the Act into force.
    Last edited by zaremba; 16-07-2010 at 01:25 AM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Quoted for posterity.
    Sigged, tbh.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    In the UK we have the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 (DDA) which introduces positive discrimination in favour of people with disabilities. It requires employers, service providers etc to make "reasonable adjustments" to their practices and premises to cater for the needs of disabled people. For instance, a partially-sighted person might be entitled to expect written communications to be provided in large print; a person with a hearing impairment might be entitled to expect a hearing loop to be installed; a person with dyslexia might be entitled more time in which to complete a written recruitment exercise. This is positive discrimination but few people seem to regard it as either abhorrent or creating a them-and-us situation. On the contrary, it's a pretty well-worked solution to the difficulties and inequalities faced by people with disabilities.
    I object to dyslexia being treated any different to natural stupidity though.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    serious?
    #JFT96
    "I can't promise anyone success but I can promise them a trip to the moon." - John King
    SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Haha, kinda. Low IQ and dyslexia are pretty similar in definition, they're both something you're born with and have no control over that make basic tasks significantly more difficult. You could call having a low IQ a disability for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    I object to dyslexia being treated any different to natural stupidity though.
    Load of ****.

Haha, can't tell if that's an attack on me or agreement with me.

It is an oh Uppercut who normally speaks a reasonable amount of sense comes out with a load of ****.

Happens from time to time.

Well it's not my fault no one has ever adequately explained to me the difference between being born dyslexic and being born with a low IQ- feel free to do so.

I am not expert but I always just assumed they were not related, knew plenty of people at school in higher sets for some subjects that were dyslexic

Do a quick google search if you are in doubt.

No, they're completely unrelated, that's not what I was saying. I was just comparing the two. Both are fundamental mental problems, impossible to change, that make basic tasks significantly more difficult. Yet one is considered a disability but the other isn't. Can you explain why?

Well people who have an abnormally low IQ are considered to have a disability.

That is not really the point though.
    Last edited by Pothas; 16-07-2010 at 05:39 AM.

And yet they don't qualify for benefits the way dyslexic people do.

What about people with a natural (yet, like both dyslexia and a low IQ, impossible to diagnose) inability to do Maths. Should they be afforded, say, extra time in an exam?

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    And yet they don't qualify for benefits the way dyslexic people do.

What about people with a natural (yet, like both dyslexia and a low IQ, impossible to diagnose) inability to do Maths. Should they be afforded, say, extra time in an exam?
    Yes they do.

Not really interested into getting into an argument about this to be honest.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread Information