Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: LGBT Thread

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Everywhere outside of LGBT clubs?
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Thats like saying STFU_ben isn't discriminatory because he tolerates LGBT's outside of 'his world' [/bait]
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

No, it isn't.

Whether you're baiting or not, it's a serious issue that comes up. It's the same reason why 'white pride' parades are seen a discriminatory while the Irish pride parades are not.

When you are a smaller community within a larger one, and you face discrimination, it helps you overall to band together in these type of clubs, parades, etc, not necessarily or yourself, but for all the people who are being persecuted. You won't believe how many kids come up in college at those clubs, that are from Kansas or Kentucky and say how watching things like that on TV kept them from total isolation and even suicide. It's a big deal to people. I would encourage you to go to one of those meetings and sit and listen for a while.

As for 'gay pride' not making any sense because there is no such thing as 'straight pride' - that's factually wrong. 90% of normal societal structures, mores and traditions are about proving your manhood or otherwise celebrating ones sexuality (straight of course). Everything from a casual night out between guys/girls, to actual religious or cultural traditions that are embedded in society.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 14-07-2010 at 09:13 AM.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Irish pride is an oxymoron though tbf
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    Bit like English spirit i spose.

Parmi

Avatar now by choice. 5-0 in the Ashes and all.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    I do enjoy "You must take what's important to me seriously, even as I pour a bucket of **** over other people's religious beliefs elsewhere on the site" moments.

But then again, it's late and perhaps I'm just being overly cynical..
    Last edited by Burgey; 14-07-2010 at 09:41 AM.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Haha, you don't have to take it seriously. I was just responding to an oft-used criticism of gay pride events. Obviously I'll argue my side just as I do in religious threads - up to you which side you fall on.

And just like in religious threads, people are welcome to argue the other side .

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    Am very anti-homophobic myself. I think the main emphasis should be placed on education, in our schools we are taught (even though some could call it propaganda but I feel it neccesary to teach kids not to care about race) that racism is wrong and are often reminded of the attrocities which have been caused by racism in history. I don't see why that shouldn't expand to teach tolerance of sexuality and the history of homosexual persecution. At the same time I'm saying all this supporting homosexuals I'm not gay so I don't really have much of a right to say this because I've no idea what it's like being persecuted for sexuality but I give my support to tolerance (and tbh not giving a **** about whether someone likes men or women)
    Everyone wants to change the world, noone wants to change himself.

-Tolstoy

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Whether you're baiting or not, it's a serious issue that comes up. It's the same reason why 'white pride' parades are seen a discriminatory while the Irish pride parades are not.

When you are a smaller community within a larger one, and you face discrimination, it helps you overall to band together in these type of clubs, parades, etc, not necessarily or yourself, but for all the people who are being persecuted. You won't believe how many kids come up in college at those clubs, that are from Kansas or Kentucky and say how watching things like that on TV kept them from total isolation and even suicide. It's a big deal to people. I would encourage you to go to one of those meetings and sit and listen for a while.

As for 'gay pride' not making any sense because there is no such thing as 'straight pride' - that's factually wrong. 90% of normal societal structures, mores and traditions are about proving your manhood or otherwise celebrating ones sexuality (straight of course). Everything from a casual night out between guys/girls, to actual religious or cultural traditions that are embedded in society.
    Good post.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Haha, mate you'll get no argument from me.. Personally, if people aren't hurting other people I couldn't give a rat's what they do..

And tbf, if they want to hurt each other, and they're consenting adults, that's fine by me too..

Banned
    Thanks matt. Being a proud member of the said community, an active and open one at that, I really appreciate this community honestly discussing the same.

I think we should celebrate our sexualties instead of confining it into rigidly defined parameters.

TIE Fighter Shooter Champion!
    I'm with most people here, have no issues at all with LGBT people, got some friends who fit in there and family members, went to a gay wedding in Brighton last year actually for my moms cousin and his partner, was actually a really awesome experience and way, way better than normal church weddings which I can't ****ing stand, so boring.

But also agree with the sentiment that people who actively shove their sexuality down peoples throats are annoying as ****, I'm all for being proud of who you are and your sexuality and whatever, but when you start to define yourself entirely by your sexual preferences it can be severely annoying. On another forum I post at there are quite a few gay members, the majority of which are awesome, but there are a couple who seem to have made it a personal crusade to ensure that every single person who posts there knows what their sexuality is. One guy in particular is really dire, no exaggeration but literally every thread or post he makes has got something to do with him being gay, or gay this and gay that. If a hetero person went around talking about how much he loves women, wants to bone this kind of woman, making sure everyone knows just how hetero and whatever he is, I think people would get tired of that person extremely quickly, but because prejudice against gay people is only really starting to letup over the last couple of decades that they are worried about offending gay people that do this.

I really don't care what someones sexuality is, whichever kind of person you are attracted to only accounts for a small part of your overall personality, and people that have to run their lives revolving around that one facet of themselves I find to be incredibly tiresome. It's basically the same thing as running around screaming in everyones face that you love chicken, wearing clothes that only have pictures of Colonel Sanders on them and only getting involved in activities that centre around chicken, it's stupid.

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Haha, mate you'll get no argument from me.. Personally, if people aren't hurting other people I couldn't give a rat's what they do..

And tbf, if they want to hurt each other, and they're consenting adults, that's fine by me too..
    Yeah, the consenting adults without harming anyone not involved approach is the best .

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information