Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: LGBT Thread

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Yeah, I think Ian Roberts blazed a trail here for big-time sports people.

Mind you it isn't like a lot of other blokes have come out since though.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Hate to be a pedant (well, ok, that's a falsehood, but one feels a **** just saying "I think you'll find...") but if you're struggling with numbers it's dyscalculia not dyslexia.
    In that case, he's struggling with words.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Yeah, I think Ian Roberts blazed a trail here for big-time sports people.

Mind you it isn't like a lot of other blokes have come out since though.
    No, quite. Only other top flight rugby player since is Gareth Thomas (who's naturally since moved to league...) and his sexuality was an open not-so-secret for a good coupla years before the belated public confirmation.

Most people (rightly) don't give an arse (Thomas's preferences were openly discussed on another forum), but the boneheaded ****wit minority who do are sufficiently vocal for most gay sports people (men especially) to remain closeted.

Not just in sports either, even showbiz, renowned for its high bertie concentration, isn't exempt from the pressure to remain in the closet. Seems odd that Hollywood leading men would be the one field in entertainment where no gay men have reached, doesn't it?
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Haha, yeah seems a bit odd..

Likewise other entertainers.. Find it odd anyone would have suggested Liberace wasn't hetero-sexual tbh..

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Hmm. Image matters in movies, though. It doesn't necessarily mean the homophobes will come out in force against a gay leading man, but it might make it harder to convince one's lovely wife to come see Rambo 14: Murder Murderously when the protagonist's openly just not interested.

Would open the door for some killer one-liners, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Hmm. Image matters in movies, though. It doesn't necessarily mean the homophobes will come out in force against a gay leading man, but it might make it harder to convince one's lovely wife to come see Rambo 14: Murder Murderously when the protagonist's openly just not interested.

Would open the door for some killer one-liners, though.
    Woman adore pooves tho: fact.

Nah, seriously, lots of het actors play gay (Hanks won his first Oscar for it IIRC) so why not vice versa?

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar

Would open the door for some killer one-liners,
    though.
    Everyone wants to change the world, noone wants to change himself.

-Tolstoy

cpr
    G.I. Joe's made my point so much better than I could have, it'd slightly embarrassing.

Equating dyslexia with stupidity wasn't me saying dyslexic people are just stupid. I was saying stupid people aren't stupid- there are genuine underlying mental difficulties that make it difficult for them to do certain activities- dyslexia is just one, but there are loads, many of which haven't even been identified or named. And as much as I sympathise with cpr's difficulties, I still can't quite see what it is about them that merits additional help in preference to other such difficulties. One difficulty is labelled dyslexia and given special help, and another is labelled stupidity and lol'd at.

Myself, and most people similar, much prefer recognition that sometimes I may struggle, and not to be impeded for it, rather than a blanket 'I need more' attitude. I admit at uni extra time did help a great deal in exams, because I needed to take time to draw up a formal plan, and have to reference back to it every 5 mins. Short term memory can be an issue, and mentally structuring something is difficult, need a visual aid to keep me on course. Also writing constantly is a pain, after a page at the most my arm feels like it wants to drop off, partly due to the way I hold a pen (though that'll regularly change over the course of an exam - will look like 4 people have written my script the amount my handwriting changes)

I refuse to use the DDA to guarantee myself interviews/special treatment though. I do take the opinion that in the real world, its upto me to adjust, not everyone else. This job I've gone for, the first stage is a blind assignment, so i'm given 3 fictitious projects, a load of source material, and 90 minutes to write a cohesive argument for and against each project. Last year I found it physically impossible, and scored atrociously. This year, because they'd not changed the scenario at all, I'd gone in with a well rehearsed plan in my head and feel i've done alright (though forgot to spell check!! Used to typing here where it'll spell check as I go along, and I can correct those that are miles out). Whereas everyone else were comfortable with the test, and are bricking the next stages (interview, presentation, group discussions), I feel if I get through this I'm confident of nailing it, because this part was the most daunting for me. That's something the rest of them couldn't grasp....

As for Joes point about assessing dyslexia, I couldn't comment on school level, as my school was very up its own arse. With 2 entrance exams required, people with 'learning difficulties' wern't their issue, almost all were filtered out by the entrance system. Therefore it was just something I had to live with at school, being good at maths but crap at English.... I was basically dragged to Student Support by my lecturer at uni, forced to take the psychology reports, as to him it was obvious I was struggling with dyslexia....

People will happily hide behind it as an excuse for being lazy/thick, hell I'll use it when people call my spelling or punctuation (can still to this day not remember if its grammar or grammer.... spellcheck says the former though)

As for overly helping dyslexics..... The education system in this country streams according to ability. Those who have a lower IQ tend to find themselves in classes where this is reflected, and more time is spent teaching, they then find themselves put into exams that are more suited to them, where although they wont recieve top grades, they'll stand a better chance of coming out with something (GCSE's spring to mind on that front). Those who are really out of the ball park may find themselves at dedicated educational facilities specializing in teaching people of that level. The idea is these people should have the ability to fufill their potential. The problem I think most are missing is their potential isn't as high as yours. And its not as high as mine. They follow a completely different route, we dont. Theres no real need to give me special classes at school, or a seperate school where I can be taught differently, just give me a little help here and there and its ok, and I can fufill my potential as much as you can
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    Right, I'll take that one up, because I can, and I'll use examples too.

Firstly, although I'll sound like an arrogant ****, I'm quite an intelligent person. OK I'd put myself as more than 'quite intelligent', I'm not Steven Hawking, but you put me in any situation where quick thought is needed and i'll more than hold my own. Stick me with lesser mortals and i'll chew them up and spit them out (because I'm a arrogant **** who loves to show off how clever he is). Being Dyslexic doesn't hold me back, 95% of the time.

A good example was during my training for my current job. Involves a lot of maths, carrying numbers to and frow, different %'s, different rates etc. Anyone with a C and above at GCSE maths should grasp the concepts, though will probably spend their life infront of a calculator. People with As, or A levels in Maths will do it in their sleep. So me, being a show off, was churning this stuff out in my head before the rest of the class could type it in to Mr Casio. Weeks of being bored waiting for other people to catch up and cotton on....

Until one day, quite an easy scenario (cant remember the specifics now, think it was about reducing allowances due to income levels), everyone in the room got it first time, I'm staring at an answer miles out. OK, no biggie, pen, paper, **** it, calculator.... Nope, still out. Work through it with the tutor, step by step.... We find the part i'm going out. The maths before is fine, the maths after would be fine, if I could just click this one step.

Now I know I'm wrong, I know where I'm wrong, but it took something like 20 minutes of countless people trying different methods to get me to understand how to do this one simple thing. I'm almost in tears with the struggle. The nearest I can liken it to is someone getting a big black sticker and covering a part of your brain. Everything else is firing fine, working overtime, scrabbling at the edge of this sticker to peel it off and let you use whats underneath. Think of the brain as a circuit, now if you've got a duff battery (low IQ), then the system will run slowly, if you've got a faulty wire (dyslexia), then it may power brilliantly, then it may stop completely, before inexplicably working again before you can locate the fault.

The worst part is when the penny drops, in that case it just came in a flash, I just reeled off exactly what was taught in the first place as my explanation to what the answer was... People couldn't understand how I could hear something for 20 min, then just comprehend in a second..... The effect is like when someone opens the curtains on you in the morning, waking your hungover arse up unexpectidly... Sure enough a couple more examples were tried, and I was back to smashing them away first time

Remembering back to my Educational Psychology Report (alas I dont have my copy anymore, think I used it as a scrap piece of paper in an emergency then threw it away.... Pretty sure i doodled all over it when on the phone to broadband tech support), in most categories I was in a stupidly high percentile.... Number recognition was almost off the scale (tester couldn't believe I was studying politics not something maths based), yet in some things i was about 10 below average...

Worst one for me, I was given some childrens building blocks, each side was split diagonally, half red, half white (like this). I had to copy a pattern laid out in front of me, eg line them up so the coloured sections made a diamond in the middle etc..... Because I wasnt allowed to move anything bar the blocks, so couldnt pick up the sheet with the pattern on, turn it around to suit how I wanted to view it etc, I just crumbled. Ended up after 5 minutes with alot of blocks flying around in frustration, just launched them off the table in a fit of anger, at myself for not being able to comprehend something a 6 year old could copy..... Yet I could recite lists of numbers backwards, forwards etc with ease.

75% of the time Dyslexias not an issue, 20% of the time it crops up and you have your own coping methods, or have a 'oh yeah' moment 5 mins later and people take the piss out of you. Sometimes it will drive you to tears in frustration as your whole mental state breaks down when presented with something you can do, but cannot at the same time.
    Just out of interest, why do you think you find mechanics so hard compared to other mathematical branches? I seem to be in a similar boat to you, in so far that sometimes, everything can completely go to **** if I don't understand unfamilliar material in a pressure situation. Happened in a mechanics exam not too long ago and it was a complete nightmare.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Mechanics is not a branch of math.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Mechanics is not a branch of math.
    True, but only in the sense of it's application. The actual exams we do only consist of maths, pretty much exactly the same skill-set is needed to do well in a core maths exam to a mechanics exam.

cpr
    Well, wasn't due to being dyslexic, was due to not really paying too much attention, therefore never really learning the principles properly. Thats what happens when uni gives you an unconditional offer, you zone out in your A levels (when you turn up)

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Woman adore pooves tho: fact.

Nah, seriously, lots of het actors play gay (Hanks won his first Oscar for it IIRC) so why not vice versa?
    Neil Patrick Harris an interesting exception to the rule, given that the character he plays on How I Met Your Mother is the biggest womaniser on TV despite being openly out IRL.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

NPH is gay?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    Neil Patrick Harris an interesting exception to the rule, given that the character he plays on How I Met Your Mother is the biggest womaniser on TV despite being openly out IRL.
    Never actually watched the show, but an American at work was very put out when I told him that Doogie putted from the rough. He even disputed it (presumably based around his character) until I suggested he Google him.

There's also been a couple of examples of out gay actors playing womanisers in British TV series, Ben Daniels played Finn in Cutting It (which, to my shame, I used to watch ) & Michael French played David Wicks in Eastenders, but no real A List film leading men have ever come out willingly.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread Information