Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Mosque at Ground Zero

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!

Mosque at Ground Zero

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Not bothered myself.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Yea, don't have a problem either.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Don't particularly have a problem with it, but it seems like an awfully risky and potentially inflammatory thing to do. Not the thing I'd expect in America as well, more the sort of British thing that would happen.
    Last edited by PhoenixFire; 30-06-2010 at 03:08 PM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    There is something symbolic about an iconic building blown up by Islamic terrorists being replaced by a mosque. Not far from "Everybody Draw Mohammad Day", it can be interpreted as an expression of freedom at best. At worst it's just trying to wind people up.

Don't care personally, but I hope nothing much comes of it. Great ammunition for the far right.
    Last edited by Uppercut; 02-07-2010 at 04:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    There is something symbolic about an iconic building blown up by Islamic terrorists being replaced by a mosque. Not far from "Everybody Draw Mohammad Day", it can be interpreted as an expression of freedom at best. At worst it's just trying to wind people up.

Don't care personally, but I hope nothing much comes of it. Great ammunition for the far right.
    It's two blocks away itbt.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    Hmm, interesting. I would say (although I really haven't done much reading but I know a man who has) That extremist islam groups twist and change the quran and shouldn't be seen as true muslims. But I'm not really sure what to think on this. But I will say Islam isn't the hate preaching opressive religion its made out to be, I know a few muslims and they are good people (Well as close to good as the rest of people are)
    Everyone wants to change the world, noone wants to change himself.

-Tolstoy

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    It's two blocks away itbt.
    Fair. Mountain out of a molehill then.

I get the idea behind it and the cultural center but also I understand those that think it is insensitive. I am probably one of them. 9/11 was a specific event that changed the word and the people of New York. I understand that people want to bring 'cultures together' but frankly there are other ways that dont hijack the grieving process and dont look as clumsy and unthinking.

It is a decent idea that has not been thought through and doesnt take into account the reality, emotions and rawness of the event itself. Whatever the good intention, it exhibits a spectacular lack of awareness and tact. IMO, whatever the message, not the right time or place.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Fair. Mountain out of a molehill then.
    This.

Personally doesn't worry me if they built one at the site, though I could understand if some people found it the equivalent of putting a sushi bar at Kokoda.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Quote Originally Posted by cover drive man View Post
    Hmm, interesting. I would say (although I really haven't done much reading but I know a man who has) That extremist islam groups twist and change the quran and shouldn't be seen as true muslims. But I'm not really sure what to think on this. But I will say Islam isn't the hate preaching opressive religion its made out to be, I know a few muslims and they are good people (Well as close to good as the rest of people are)
    Gee really? Muslims are people too? So that's where we've all been going wrong.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Gee really? Muslims are people too? So that's where we've all been going wrong.
    Have my doubts about np10 tbh...

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Have my doubts about np10 tbh...
    Everyone has doubts about him tbh. A very dubious character tstl.

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    I get the idea behind it and the cultural center but also I understand those that think it is insensitive. I am probably one of them. 9/11 was a specific event that changed the word and the people of New York. I understand that people want to bring 'cultures together' but frankly there are other ways that dont hijack the grieving process and dont look as clumsy and unthinking.

It is a decent idea that has not been thought through and doesnt take into account the reality, emotions and rawness of the event itself. Whatever the good intention, it exhibits a spectacular lack of awareness and tact. IMO, whatever the message, not the right time or place.
    This is going to be the church of Al-Qaeda then? Let's just tar all Muslims with the same brush.

I can understand where you're coming from, and why someone could see it as insensitive, but should all Muslims be outcast because of the actions of one group? It's not like they're building a statue of Osama Bin Laden.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    This is going to be the church of Al-Qaeda then? Let's just tar all Muslims with the same brush.

I can understand where you're coming from, and why someone could see it as insensitive, but should all Muslims be outcast because of the actions of one group? It's not like they're building a statue of Osama Bin Laden.
    Oh come on! What has being outcast got to do with anything? Its got nothing to do with that and I didnt say that.

This is not just a mosque but a 15 story cultural center with a location that has been specifically chosen to advance particular interests. This is not a subtle and small building. It is a huge, in-your-face attention seeking edifice that has been criticised by people of all faiths. The location isnt a coincidence and whatever the motives and the people that use the building it is a misguided and insensitive endeavour that seems to be trying to use ground zero for their own agenda.

It is crass, it is insensitive and it is spectacularly naive especially as it is being built by a moderate Imam whose comments after 9/11 included "I wouldn't say that the United States deserved what happened, but the United States policies were an accessory to the crime that happened."

This has nothing to do with religion or Islam. It is to do with what occured and what is respectful and appropriate. You could take the protagonists out and substitute any others in as part of a thought exercise and it would still seem wrong.
    Last edited by Goughy; 03-07-2010 at 12:10 AM.

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information