View Poll Results: Should homeopathy be banned?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 34.48%
  • No

7 24.14%
  • Shoes with zippers

12 41.38%
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Should homeopathy be banned?

Should homeopathy be banned?

Because I'm dissatisfied with the current level of SS-rage in support of science, let's discuss whether the practice of homeopathy should be banned, given it does no good and can acutally be dangerous.

To be clear, I'm not talking about any other kind of alternative remedy, some of which probably do work (albeit on a scientific basis that we simply haven't identified yet, or as a placebo), but specifically talking about homeopathy - the process defined in Wikipedia (for want of a readily accessible definition) as:
    first proposed by German physician Samuel Hahnemann in 1796, that attempts to treat patients with heavily diluted preparations. Based on an ipse dixit axiom formulated by Hahnemann which he called the law of similars, preparations which cause certain symptoms in healthy individuals are given as the treatment for patients exhibiting similar symptoms. Homeopathic remedies are prepared by serial dilution with shaking by forceful striking, which homeopaths term succussion, after each dilution under the assumption that this increases the effect of the treatment. Homeopaths call this process potentization.

I'd say yes, because you're essentially bilking people with a confidence scam. If I was caught sellig bottled water to people telling them it cured headaches or whatever, I'd get done for a scam. But because homeopaths go through a process that, according to everything we know about how chemistry works, would have no measurable affect on the water, and wrap in some pseudo-science babble, they are protected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Yes
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    What consenting homopaths do behind closed doors is their own business, surely?

In all seriousness, it's conceivably of placebo use, but just snake oil tho, essentially.
    - As featured in The Independent.

"Predictably, the ending of his international career did not end the argument about Pietersen's merits, as an army of informed commentators and Piers Morgan weighed in to defend or attack him."
    - The Guardian's Andrew Anthony

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Well it's certainly deceitful and it's definitely a scam. However, adults have the right to do what they want with their bodies and if they want to drink water - go right ahead. However, if they want to advertise that their product cures X, or Y, they should have to go through the appropriate scientific justification by national authorities like the normal drugs do. It's ridiculous that homeopathy is exempt from having to prove their claims. You can't market a medicine for a condition as a drug company if you haven't been approved to do so - but you can as a homeopathic remedy - which is unfair and should be stopped.

On the other hand, if your kid has cancer, do you, as parents have the right to give homeopathic medicine to your children? For children, there have been cases where using only prayer and denying traditional chemotherapy for cancers with a high rate of remission has been ruled by the courts as illegal (in the US). I think the same rationale has to apply.

I would ban the advertising and false claims, but if adults want to do whatever they want with thier bodies - it's up to them. For children with serious conditions (e.g, not a cold, but cancer, HIV, etc), I'd step in if the parents want to use only homeopathy.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    In all seriousness, it's conceivably of placebo use, but just snake oil tho, essentially.
    So is a placebo. But I can't sell sugar pills by saying they can cure HIV. As you say, it's snake oil but adults can do what they want, as far as I'm concerned. As long as they don't do any false advertising, and don't force it on children, I'm fine.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 19-06-2010 at 10:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Ben Goldacre makes a pretty convincing case itbt.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    So is a placebo. But I can't sell sugar pills by saying they can cure HIV. As you say, it's snake oil but adults can do what they want, as far as I'm concerned. As long as they don't do any false advertising, and don't force it on children, I'm fine.
    Pretty much the definition of a placebo, is it? If it had any active ingredients it wouldn't be just a placebo.

Obviously the science behind homeopathy is bollox, but if people believe it's going to work sometimes it does, which, again, is the definition of a placebo, I guess.

Pretty much the definition of a placebo, is it? If it had any active ingredients it wouldn't be just a placebo.

Obviously the science behind homeopathy is bollox, but if people believe it's going to work sometimes it does, which, again, is the definition of a placebo, I guess.
    Right, but I can't sell sugar pills to cure cancer. I'd get shut down for fraud. But if I label those pills homeopathic, I can. That's unfair.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 19-06-2010 at 11:18 AM.

Right, but if I can't sell sugar pills to cure cancer. I'd get shut down for fraud. But if I label those pills homeopathic, I can. That's unfair.
    Agreed.

Have you seen Dawkins's tv series The Enemies of Reason? He's very damning of homeopathy in it.

Last edited by silentstriker; 19-06-2010 at 11:21 AM.

What consenting homopaths do behind closed doors is their own business, surely?
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

Wouldn't expect you to be such a fan, as a self-admitted "Man of God"

I have faith that my faith is correct because my faith tells me so. And my faith is the only cure for all disease, not homeopathy.

The faith being IPU obv.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Well it's certainly deceitful and it's definitely a scam. However, adults have the right to do what they want with their bodies and if they want to drink water - go right ahead. However, if they want to advertise that their product cures X, or Y, they should have to go through the appropriate scientific justification by national authorities like the normal drugs do. It's ridiculous that homeopathy is exempt from having to prove their claims. You can't market a medicine for a condition as a drug company if you haven't been approved to do so - but you can as a homeopathic remedy - which is unfair and should be stopped.

I would ban the advertising and false claims, but if adults want to do whatever they want with thier bodies - it's up to them. For children with serious conditions (e.g, not a cold, but cancer, HIV, etc), I'd step in if the parents want to use only homeopathy.
    Yeah, I have no respect for any opinion other than this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information