Thread: The cost of being a Good Samaritan

The cost of being a Good Samaritan

'Incredibly brave' tourist undergoes brain surgery after bashing

After reading the article this morning, I think, as I always do when I hear about an incident involving someone helping out another person, and suffering serious injury themselves... what would I do in the situation. And further, what should I do?

There was of course a famous, and tragic, incident in Melbourne back in 2007 when a lawyer intervened in the bashing of a woman in the city in the early hours of Monday morning, and was shot dead.

Basically just thought I'd start a thread and hear what people think is the right thing to do, and whether that coincides with doing the "smart" thing.

I recall a friend of mine saying that the brave guy who intervened and got shot back in 2007 should have not intervened, and thought of his family first, as he had kids relying on him if I remember correctly. Sounds cold, but I don't think she was alone in her view.

Thoughts?
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Hmm. How can anyone know how they'd react is such a situation?

I think rational thought often goes out the window, when you see a situation that's both manifestly unjust and dangerous. There's no real right and wrong there I think, but if I saw a woman being bashed and didn't do something, well, I've got to look at myself in the mirror.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Having dealt personally with Hudson myself, I'd be inclined to be calling 000 as fast as I could + an army/nuclear device or something. The man is a ****ing psycho. The poor bloke who took him on would have had no idea what he was capable of, though.

Sometimes just plain bad luck can get in the way too; my cousin ran off from an ATM with an old lady's handbag, was chased by a guy who grabbed her and she blindy swung her arm behind her, caught his throat and crushed it. He stopped breathing but ambo's were able to bring him back in time. Suffered brain damage and she got a bond. Obviously, for the poor bloke, not even close to being worth it.

The 'smart' thing is to call someone properly equipped to deal with the situation. I've known a few SAS members over time and this stuff generally comes up. It's telling that special forces guys, trained to kill quickly and efficiently by the way, will often not intervene in any one-on-one situation unless in defence of their own safety. Even if you're well trained, there's a lot of luck involved in coming out unscathed and any macho dick who tells you otherwise is kidding themselves. You might be so good you're smacking 6 shades of **** out of one bloke but one random punch and you're out cold. Then it's over and they can do anything they like to you. And this is assuming you know for sure they don't have another weapon or even a bloody gun.

Jumping into a situation not of your concern may be considered heroic but often to those who do that stuff for a living, it's considered really dumb. Get help at the scene if you're so inclined and stack the odds in your favour or call Police. Even then, do the latter. You're not a wimp, you're just more cogniscant of the risks involved.

EDIT: Really, it's about risk assessment. I mean if you see someone struggling with another who's trying to steal their laptop and the perp is a homeless bag of bones, that's a far different proposition to a jacked and stacked 6'5" Chris Hudson who's eyes are clearly spinning in his head.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 06-06-2010 at 06:10 PM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Very true. Doesn't matter what you know, if you get hit on the button by a bloke who's 80kgs plus, the fight's generally over.

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    This is a personal account (read: involving me) so it's only tangentially relevant. Was chased out of a pub for looking funny at some guy twice. Apparently he thought I, er, shopped in another aisle and was sizing him up. Ran out of there; didn't think twice.

As banal as it sounds, I found it difficult to look at myself in the mirror for the next week or so.

Fair bit of ego involved there, even on my part.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

My dad is a taxi driver and one time he had some ****wit in the back of his cab with his mother in law and for some reason the **** was punching the bejesus out of her, he stops and tries to pull him away and he turns around and smacks my dad right in the cheekbone and fracturing it. It was all caught on camera. The cops did nothing, probably because it would been too much paper work
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    I'm no psychologist, but this may explain your love of cycling.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Don't think you think rationally in those sorta circumstances; you react how you react.

I once foiled an armed robbery for no other reason than I don't like being played for a ****. If I'd stopped to think I'd have decided it was a pretty low-percentage move, but I didn't. Link.

Imitation gun as it turned out.
    - As featured in The Independent.

"Predictably, the ending of his international career did not end the argument about Pietersen's merits, as an army of informed commentators and Piers Morgan weighed in to defend or attack him."
    - The Guardian's Andrew Anthony

Pinball Champion!
    We have a new one here where people feign injury/death on the side of the road, and if you were to go out and help them they would jump in your car and drive off.. Or assault you for the keys.. To be honest, with half the stuff you read about these days, I wouldn't judge anyone for not chosing to be a good samaritan..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Don't think you think rationally in those sorta circumstances; you react how you react.

I once foiled an armed robbery for no other reason than I don't like being played for a ****. If I'd stopped to think I'd have decided it was a pretty low-percentage move, but I didn't. Link.

"A 24 year-old..."

Bloody hell Brumby, didn't know they had newspapers back then
    #JFT96
    "I can't promise anyone success but I can promise them a trip to the moon." - John King
    SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Generally, yeah. If you're trained in CQC or just any martial art, though, it can change how you react to a degree. Situational awareness and all that.

And, as if to underscore how random stuff this can be;

Australian war hero Scott May survives Iraq, nearly dies in Melbourne attack | News.com.au

Trained and all, didn't see it coming and if the idiot had been really serious about hurting him, he'd have had his day ruined.

Seriously, especially if you're untrained, call for help if you must get involved. Or if you do decide to jump in, know that you're toying with your life and relying on luck to a degree you might not be terribly comfortable with in hindsight.

Brumbers!

What a gun..

Thread Information