Page 1 of 231 1231151101 ... LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: The American Politics thread

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar

The American Politics thread

Seems like the fashionable thing to do nowadays.

This is the shiny new repository for all partisan crapola re: tea parties, Obama, House scandals, Senate scandals, Fox News et cetera.

To kick this off, Sarah Palin took a stab at tea-partiers, of all people. Dissent in the ranks? You betcha.

Can't see the Democrats retaining seats in the midterms this year, even in light of healthcare. Republicans now have a personal grassroots army to doorknock with the right-wing evangelicals and the robber barons.
    Last edited by LongHopCassidy; 07-05-2010 at 07:56 AM.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

Cricketer Of The Year Mr Casson's Avatar
    Sympathy post.
    'Copperfield,' said Mr. Micawber, 'farewell! Every happiness and prosperity! If, in the progress of revolving years, I could persuade myself that my blighted destiny had been a warning to you, I should feel that I had not occupied another man's place in existence altogether in vain.
    - Wilkins Micawber

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    In before close.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    SS 2/1. Cause he's a yank.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Haha, I might like this thread. Let's see how it goes.

Republicans will win the house this year, but Dems will keep the Senate. Sad after only four years and losing 40 seats is quite an achievement, but at least Dems did something.

I hope when they are the minority in the Senate (probably won't happen in this election), they give the Republicans a dose of their own medicine, and literally fillibuster everything while making up lies about every piece of legislation they introduce.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post

I hope when they are the minority in the Senate (probably won't happen in this election), they give the Republicans a dose of their own medicine, and literally fillibuster everything while making up lies about every piece of legislation they introduce.
    That's a little tricky to pull off when your guy is in the White House. The President ultimately gets blamed for everything. So if the Democrats filibuster everything and prevent anything from being passed, Obama gets the blame for inaction. Now obviously the Democrats probably will want to defeat anything the Republicans try to pass because they have major ideological differences. However, they can't be pure obstructionists like the Republicans are because they have a Presidency to save. Like you stated though, it's highly unlikely that the Republicans take over the Senate in this election. Heck, I'm going to go on a limb and say that the Democrats will retain the House as well. They'll lose their solid lead, but not the majority.

Chicken Champion! Battle Pong Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Haha, love filibusters. Most ridiculous thing ever.

Do Americans actually take Palin seriously? Thought she would disappear on a wave of ridicule after 2008, but after Obama she still seems to be the most talked-about political figure in the US. Is there any possibility that she will be on a Republican ticket again? Might be worth it if Tina Fey brings her Palin act out of retirement, though.
    Last edited by Adamc; 08-05-2010 at 03:46 AM.
    "Under the spreading chestnut tree,
    I sold you and you sold me."

Currently the favourite for GOP presidential nominee, IIRC. Nobody springs to mind as to who'd actually beat her, let alone steamroll her for the sexed-up pawn of the Religious Right she is.

Chicken Champion! Battle Pong Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 1
    That's pretty ****ed up. Almost makes me wish there was a George Bush III.

Almost.

Hey, I think you guys are seriously underestimating the sex appeal of Mit Romney (seen here describing his last visit to Hooters).

Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Have a few American friends here, all voted Democrat and all regret it

Havent checked the opinion polls myself, but at least one is saying that if an election were held tomorrow, Obama would get the arse

Don't know about that, none of the Repub candidates are strong enough. His approval rating is at around 50%, which is not bad.

I do not regret voting democrat, but yes, many are dissatisfied with the economy.

The problem is that the dems did what they promised, but the right has a better PR wing. Plus the teabaggers. Now if they really push for immigration reform and end to don't ask don't tell, they've done everything reasonable in the face of bat**** craziness that they were faced with.

I think at this point there is nothing the dems can do to stave off a massive defeat in congress in 2010, but at least if they get their latino base excited by doing immigration reform, they can maybe minimize it.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 08-05-2010 at 08:21 AM.

School Boy/Girl Captain GraemeSmith's Avatar
    The problem is that a significant number of Americans are acting like idiots. They want the president and the democrats to pull out a magic wand and make everything right. You ask them what they want they say jobs and the economy, okay so you guys want another stimulus? No, they want to cut spending and yet want the government to create jobs. They seem to want Obama and the Democrats to pull jobs out of their asses.

It would suck if Republicans make huge gains in the congress but I have hope that the Republicans will manage to shoot themselves in the foot. For example, I thought for sure Harry Reid was a gonner but considering the bat**** insane candidate the Repubs have nominated in Nevada he might be able to squeeze a win. Republicans are trying to be too clever by half, have gone too far to the right and have openly embraced craziness. The other day I was watching tv and this Republican former FEMA director came and basically said that the recent oil spill was a plot by the Obama and the democrats to take down oil, coal and other carbon based energy sources.
    Last edited by GraemeSmith; 08-05-2010 at 05:58 PM.

Page 1 of 231 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread Information