Page 97 of 229 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107147197 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,455 of 3431
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: The American Politics thread

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    New Voter ID laws in swing states could hurt Obama

I almost have to admire those damn evil geniuses and their ability to steal an election.
    Would not be an issue were voting mandatory.....
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Would not be an issue were voting mandatory.....
    Nah, don't agree with that policy. I don't want to compel people to vote. If they're not interested or care enough to vote, I don't want them in the voting booth! Their uninformed vote cancels out an informed one. Pass.

So not getting into that debate (massive minus' with both systems) but I was just pointing out that the particular issue you mentioned is rendered largely moot by mandatory voting.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    don't go see dicky c anytime soon johnny!!!
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Jon Stewart with a balanced commentary on Chick-Fil-A and the gay marriage controversy

Reason number 6549841384948163 why I admire him so much. He doesn’t just immediately come to the defense of the liberals here. He’s fair-minded enough to point out that they’re in the wrong for targeting the company; even if they’re right on the actual gay marriage issue.

That's not really what he said, tbh, and just about every 'liberal' media commentator has gone on record saying the same thing. His (and others) objection is specifically against the use of legal means to stomp on Chick Fil A.

Individuals in the community shouldn't feel in the wrong for boycotting Chick Fil A because of the views of their president. He's come out against gay marriage, an issue which the community is largely in favour of. There should be no protection from any business consequences stemming from that. When some over-stuffed local baby-kisser wants to use state powers to get in the way of a perfectly legal business, separate issue.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 03-08-2012 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    That's not really what he said, tbh, and just about every 'liberal' media commentator has gone on record saying the same thing. His (and others) objection is specifically against the use of legal means to stomp on Chick Fil A.
    I wasn't stating otherwise. When I said "target", I meant the legal pressure being applied at the company. The CEO has a perfect right to his views, just like the consumers have a perfect right to not frequent his establishment to show their displeasure of that view. However, when the liberal forces try to stop the stores from even operating, they've clearly crossed a line.

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    Jon Stewart with a balanced commentary on Chick-Fil-A and the gay marriage controversy

Reason number 6549841384948163 why I admire him so much. He doesn’t just immediately come to the defense of the liberals here. He’s fair-minded enough to point out that they’re in the wrong for targeting the company; even if they’re right on the actual gay marriage issue.
    That link just takes me straight to the CC homepage
    Exit pursuing a beer

Romey set to pick Paul Ryan as VP

As a Democratic supporter, I'm thrilled he's going with Ryan. This will give the Obama campaign a HUGE opening to attack Ryan's tea-party based ideas of trimming down the federal spending (read gutting Medicare). I would've been worried had he gone with Christie or Rubio because they bring stronger appeals in the general election IMHO. Ryan will excite the Republican base like Sarah Palin did (though he's infinitely more qualified than she ever was tbf) but will scare off the independents in swing states.
    Last edited by Fusion; 10-08-2012 at 10:58 PM.

At an Atlas Society meeting celebrating Ayn Rand's life in 2005, Ryan said that "The reason I got involved in public service, by and large, if I had to credit one thinker, one person, it would be Ayn Rand",[19] and "I grew up reading Ayn Rand and it taught me quite a bit about who I am and what my value systems are, and what my beliefs are. It’s inspired me so much that it’s required reading in my office for all my interns and my staff."

lol. ty Mitt.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

tbf obama has his own problems: WAS OBAMA MARRIED BEFORE HE WAS MARRIED - YouTube

Not that I think Obama's in any serious danger of losing this election but he actually does have a lot of points for his opponents to go after under the general theme of 'the government is taking my rights away'. His fairly awful drone kills (not to mention the very ugly concept of 'signature strikes'), that Gitmo is still open for business, persistent and vicious campaigns against whistleblowers and gutting of legal whistleblower protections, the 'national security' wall of non-inquiry, all of these things could hurt him if he was faced with a coherent, consistent and far less corrupt opponent. Luckily, he isn't.

Worth noting that the right supports most of those things you list, tbf
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Thread Information