Page 9 of 231 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: The American Politics thread

Simon Champion!
    I don't get how whether anyone believes or not in god or his personal belief's towards his religion is anyone's concern tbh.

Find it a classic left wing position, which is really backwards AFAIC. I don't fully understand the politics in USA in this regard either.
    Last edited by Cevno; 15-11-2011 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cevno View Post
    I don't get how whether anyone believes or not in god or his personal belief's towards his religion is anyone's concern tbh.

Find it a classic left wing position , which is really backwards AFAIC.
    Because first of all it is just hilariously stupid to make that kind of statement and secondly and more importantly Cain's belief in religion isn't limited to their personal belief it clearly extends towards violating other people's religious rights given by the constitution of the United States.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar

Find it a classic left wing position, which is really backwards AFAIC. I don't fully understand the politics in USA in this regard either.
    It's my concern only in the sense that he is using it to justify his actions and then force them on others.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    More lolz on Perry (and other Republicans). Knows his science, this man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Simon Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    It's my concern only in the sense that he is using it to justify his actions and then force them on others.
    It's his issue though whether he decides to run for president based on inspiration from a god he believes in, or based on getting hit on a head with a brick as once Obama joked IIRC.

It's his issue though whether he decides to run for president based on word of god, or based on getting hit on a head with a brick as once Obama joked.
    Actually if he is deluded, it's the voter's business too.

It matters because they want to force the morals they found in their book written in the Iron Age Glaciation on hundreds of millions of people.

They have absolutely no right.

Simon Champion!
    Flem you are left wing on most no economic issues i take it?

Still don't get how in a 2 party democratic system you can hold being in a same party as someone with a extremely right wing position on some issue against someone who is right of center but has to be in the same party?

Simon Champion!
    Actually if he is deluded, it's the voter's business too.
    And that is what i am talking about.

You think he is deluded and he thinks you are.. Don't think how you can take the moral high ground and say that he is trying to force his beliefs on you, but your are not then?

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    It matters because they want to force the morals they found in their book written in the Iron Age Glaciation on hundreds of millions of people.

They have absolutely no right.
    I agree on this. But what principles are you talking about here? It varies on issue to issue and some may be related to religion or not.

In terms of Personal Religion though, everybody has a right to believe in god as much as they have a right not too. Or follow organised religion and have personal beliefs and mythologies as much as someone who doesn't want too.

Still don't get how in a 2 party democratic system you can hold being in a same party as someone with a extremely right wing position on some issue against someone who is right of center but has to be in the same party?
    I am very progressive on non economic issues yes.

The presidential candidates of the party represent the party. In the last decade, they've had Bush and even worse, they've got this rabble. I hold the party and its voters accountable for nominating and electing these chumps.

What is a left wing issue ?

You think he is deluded and he thinks you are.. Don't think how you can take the moral high ground and say that he is trying to force his beliefs on you, but your are not then?
    Because I am not pushing for any laws that stop any religious person from practicing his beliefs. Because I won't vote for him as a candidate does not mean I am denying his right to run for President.

They on the other hands, are pushing for policies that will stop other people from living their lives as they see fit, e.g gay people serving in the military, or being allowed civil unions and marriage.

I don't know why the difference isn't obvious.

And that is what i am talking about.

I agree on this. But what principles are you talking about here? It varies on issue to issue and some may be related to religion or not.

In terms of Personal Religion though, everybody has a right to believe in god as much as they have a right not too. Or follow organised religion and have personal beliefs and mythologies as much as someone who doesn't want too.
    Gay marriage, evolution aka history, and the rights of women to make decisions about their own bodies.

The first two are embedded in religion and many of the people opposed to the third are also religious.

I am secular. They have every right to believe in a personal God, but if they want to legislate based on supposed truths written by people who supposedly talked to God several thousand years ago, and then had those truths edited by later people, they can take a hike.
    Last edited by Flem274*; 16-11-2011 at 12:18 AM.

Because I am not pushing for any laws that stop any religious person from practicing his beliefs. Because I won't vote for him as a candidate does not mean I am denying his right to run for President.

They on the other hands, are pushing for policies that will stop other people from living their lives as they see fit, e.g gay people serving in the military, or being allowed civil unions and marriage.

Simon Champion!

They on the other hands, are pushing for policies that will stop other people from living their lives as they see fit, e.g gay marriage.

You have every right to not vote for anyone if you don't agree with their policies on some issues which are contentious in many aspects, just not religious. I agree you on Gay marriage too, but it can't become the only issue.

That was in reference to calling him deluded and then taking a moral high ground that i am pro choice.

Page 9 of 231 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread Information