Page 86 of 229 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896136186 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,290 of 3431
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: The American Politics thread

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    I guess looks matter in the end
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Believe Nixon won the debate via all the radio polls, and Kennedy by those on TV.
    Yup, those who only heard the debate on the radio were of the opinion that Nixon won it, and those who watched the exact same debate on the TV had Kennedy as the winner. It was what brought home the importance of appearances and body language to big time politics in the television age.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    maybe it was just a case of all the old people listening on radio and the young on tv
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    Yup, those who only heard the debate on the radio were of the opinion that Nixon won it, and those who watched the exact same debate on the TV had Kennedy as the winner. It was what brought home the importance of appearances and body language to big time politics in the television age.
    I know about this, and I haven't done any research but those without TVs might be more rural areas, who might perhaps be older and/or rural, which would cause them to lean Republican anyway (though back then there were still significant numbers of southern democrats - until the civil rights act turned them into republicans). Clearly having a partisan lean affects how you view the debates especially if it's close (and often even if it's not).

I wonder if anyone here has heard/read more about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    maybe it was just a case of all the old people listening on radio and the young on tv
    Haha, beat me to it! That's what I get for instantly replying without reading until the end .

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    I know about this, and I haven't done any research but those without TVs might be more rural areas, who might perhaps be older and/or rural, which would cause them to lean Republican anyway (though back then there were still significant numbers of southern democrats - until the civil rights act turned them into republicans). Clearly having a partisan lean affects how you view the debates especially if it's close (and often even if it's not).

I wonder if anyone here has heard/read more about that.
    The History channel > youse. Jeez, talk about over-analysing.

Also, did you know that aliens built the pyramids?
    Last edited by G.I.Joe; 17-05-2012 at 06:31 AM.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/17/us...bama.html?_r=1

Ugh. Say what you want about McCain but he did reign in some parts of his base somewhat. Still a lot of people not too happy about a black president. This one is going to get real ugly. Remember what Bush did to McCain in South Carolina? Get ready for this one.

cpr
    A few links on Nixon v Kennedy and the temperature
    This one states categorically Kennedy asked for the thermostat to be turned up
    (this one just suggests it was a theory)

The other issues in the debate are all true, and wont deny them, but the Kennedy's were sneaky blighters, and would play any advantage. Like resurrecting half of Chicago for polling day
    Last edited by cpr; 17-05-2012 at 11:37 AM.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Sneaky...as opposed to...Nixon?

I wouldn't put it past them but I don't really believe it. Nixon thought doing makeup or getting a tan was too effeminate so he didn't and suffered for it.

cpr
    Believe it, the Kennedy's were ruthless as they come. Joe would do anything to get his boys out on top.

Again, you're comparing them to NIXON. NIXON FFS.

Also, I'm not saying they wouldn't, I'm saying that I highly doubt they actually did. The political risk is too great for such an unknown benefit (esp. as the medium itself was new in terms of politics).
    Last edited by silentstriker; 17-05-2012 at 12:38 PM.

Yeah I would highly doubt that the temperature story is true. Debates are controlled by an independent third party and I doubt that the debate administrators would have listened to Kennedy’s people. Also, this was the first televised debate. How could Kennedy have anticipated that Nixon would look that uneasy? Some of the claims in those links like Kennedy had both candidates stand during the debate because he knew Nixon was injured is stretching it. In the overwhelming majority of debates, whether in front of TV or in your local debate team, the participants stand. Same happened to be the case in the Kennedy/Nixon debate.

From what I've heard, the make-up thing seems most credible.

cpr
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Again, you're comparing them to NIXON. NIXON FFS.
    Actually, I'm not comparing them to anyone, I'm saying they were dodgy as sin in their own right. Thought it was a given they ran one of the most underhand election campaigns going, and pulled every trick in the book to secure victory. Racketeering in city centres (and the dead rising to vote), discrediting the opponent, pulling swift ones in the media. Big Joe Kennedy basically helped write the book of modern campaigning

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    Yeah I would highly doubt that the temperature story is true. Debates are controlled by an independent third party and I doubt that the debate administrators would have listened to Kennedy’s people. Also, this was the first televised debate. How could Kennedy have anticipated that Nixon would look that uneasy? Some of the claims in those links like Kennedy had both candidates stand during the debate because he knew Nixon was injured is stretching it. In the overwhelming majority of debates, whether in front of TV or in your local debate team, the participants stand. Same happened to be the case in the Kennedy/Nixon debate.
    Nowadays yes, they are controlled by independants, however, this is 1960, and the media don't have the power over the politicians as they do now. If a Kennedy said jump, they asked how high. I suppose its more naivity (and a little behind the scenes with the execs) that allowed the Kennedy campaign to fully exploit the potential of TV.

They were very, very on the ball when it came to image and marketing. They knew Nixon was unwell, they knew he sweated easily. They'd seen him close up on a number of occasions during the McCarthy trials (Joe was a big McCarthyist, Nixon acted on behalf of the Government). As VP, Joe would've been sizing him up as the likely opponant for JFK (he'd been planning a Presidential run since the war, first wanting to use Joe Jr until he was killed fighting, he turned the John, helping get his war memoirs published, used his influence to earn citations - not that JFK didn't deserve them mind).

Personally I think the standing one is a bit of a myth too, indeed its the first I've heard that. Addresses had always been given from the soap box, and whilst this was the first televised debate, I just can't see why they'd think sitting would work.
    Last edited by cpr; 17-05-2012 at 02:08 PM.

Thread Information