Page 76 of 229 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886126176 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,140 of 3431
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: The American Politics thread

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    I wonder if I can find a video of an Idi Amin speech on You Tube. If I can You Tube link it, it must be right.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Friedman, one of the most brilliant and influential economic thinkers of his time and all time... and ...Idi Amin... good one.
    I think there'll sooner be another Bradman than another Warne. - Gidgeon Haigh

[Warne is] the greatest bowler ever produced in this entire world - Muttiah Muralidaran

[Warne is] the greatest bowler of all time - Glenn McGrath

In my opinion Shane Warne is the greatest cricketer who's ever lived - Ian Botham

Warne is the greatest cricketer to pick up a ball ever.
    And is the greatest bowler I have ever laid eyes on. - Brian Lara

Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    Friedman, one of the most brilliant and influential economic thinkers of his time and all time... and ...Idi Amin... good one.
    Both equally dangerous extremists.

The first time I take the word of an economist as gospel will be the day that I trapse off this mortal coil.

I'm not going to engage in a political debate with you because you will resort to polemics like you have throughout this thread. We couldn't be further away from each other and it would be a waste of time to try and convince each other of anything else; but suffice it to say that I value economics about as highly as the views of mystic meg on whether I'm likely to meet a tall dark stranger and be flashmobbed by him.

cpr
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    Friedman, one of the most brilliant and influential economic thinkers of his time and all time...
    Never heard of him.

But then its not like I've studied American politics or cultu..... oh.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

I prefer that other similarly monikered thinker, Milton Keynes. A great town planner more so than an economist.

cpr
    Ah the Keynsian cycle - Go round in circles until you get out of that **** hole

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Noticing James Murdoch saying he agrees with some regulation, even in the media.

He's not the pure free marketeer Ikki is, but then he's run something more substantial than a bath.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Noticing James Murdoch saying he agrees with some regulation, even in the media.

He's not the pure free marketeer Ikki is, but then he's run something more substantial than a bath.
    On a tangent. He came to my MBA class to do a speech. Highlights were that one student mocked him because he had just lost 200M in a deal. Secondly he told us a story about a negotiation in India where someone took out a gun and put it on the table during the negotiation.
    Thirdly, he told us he won't hire any MBAs all the big decisions were made by people with industry experience who had worked their way up and him.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar

there can't too be many other politicians in the world full stop who would.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar

Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

International Captain Pup Clarke's Avatar
    Barack's calf's mean business.
    Proud member of the Twenty20 is boring society

E-Mail - liamhowgate@yahoo.co.uk
    MSN - liamhowgate@hotmail.com

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!

Well, the irony is those who are rich would want more regulation as they tend to be the ones writing or influencing the writers of them. Do you think I want less regulation to help the rich? That's the whole point: to provide competition for them.

It's like the argument of lowering taxes. There are great economic arguments to show it'd benefit the lower class more, but then those on the left take it to mean you're in cahoots with the rich. Again similar to the fear of a lack of regulation. It's that people tend to be pretty myopic. They think when you tax a business, that business is actually paying for it. They don't realise that the business in question is just going to pass the cost of that tax onto the consumer in one way or another.

Next, though, you'll tell me because Buffet calls for more taxes on the rich that you've won the argument.

No worries, Friedman to the rescue again. Milton Friedman - The Free Lunch Myth - YouTube
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    Both equally dangerous extremists.

The first time I take the word of an economist as gospel will be the day that I trapse off this mortal coil.

I'm not going to engage in a political debate with you because you will resort to polemics like you have throughout this thread. We couldn't be further away from each other and it would be a waste of time to try and convince each other of anything else; but suffice it to say that I value economics about as highly as the views of mystic meg on whether I'm likely to meet a tall dark stranger and be flashmobbed by him.
    So you use a crystal ball to look into the future? Economics is not a natural science and isn't as reliable as the laws discovered in those studies, but the effects of monetary policy isn't really that hard to predict in a lot of instances. It's not very difficult to understand or very arguable in a lot of other cases. More importantly, economic freedoms are very closely tied to legal and political freedoms; it's somewhat inescapable. If you don't have a good grasp on it, then arguing about laws and politics is somewhat futile or very limiting.

Friedman is an extremist? He wants you to have liberty. You can choose whether you want something or not as long as you arent being negligent or defrauding anybody.

I think the extremists are the ones with the Keynesian thinking, that they can actually plan for the wants and needs of every man. Or worse, the communists. These people not only lack the brains - with all due respect to them - but the humility to get out of the way. In some cases, they're actually in there to affect change for special interests.

The problem is, as I stated before, that people think a balance of free market principles and interventionist planning is the best of both worlds. You think the arguments are polemic. And those are the biggest hindrances to people advancing. What I tout seems counter-intuitive: less/no regulations; less/no taxes; smaller government; etc? What seems more palatable for intellectual discourse - a compromise - is the worst thing for both.

It's why a lot of the arguments won't be politically feasible because the status quo is something else and people grow up indoctrinated with false ideals about law and economics and a great lack of perspective due to a gaping understanding in how these things have evolved. How can you talk about how poorly government misallocates resources and want to shrink government when your constituents grow up believing that the government is their nanny? Student backed loans are one of the main reasons education is so expensive in America; but imagine the riots of lessening the aid?

People want their cake and want to eat it too. They do not live in the real world, ironically. They want government to mandate sub-prime loans so more people can get a home, but they don't want the effects of a bailout when the **** hits the fan because under normal conditions those people could not afford that home. They argue for the use and utility of programs, yet when you tell them to do it voluntarily, so as not to impede on the rights of those who disagree, they get in arms about it. They have no answers, and you'll see continuous attacks on my viewpoint because of it. In their hearts they know they're wrong but the fear of the unknown, or what they think that is, impedes them from changing their position.
    Last edited by Ikki; 25-04-2012 at 07:51 AM.

Thread Information