Cricket Player Manager
Page 73 of 241 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583123173 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 3605
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: The American Politics thread

  1. #1081
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,965
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    You already do. For example, the government doesn't send officers to your home to make sure you're the kind of person they want having kids by seeing if the risk factors in your life are likely to make them a criminal.
    The position that I want the government to regulate certain things does not imply I want the government to regulate everything. It's how you are fending off charges of being an anarchist.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    At least we're down to this point.

    If you want it, you should pay for it. Not me or your neighbour who doesn't go out to eat or doesn't want to foot the bill for your lifestyle.
    Maybe certain people can't afford all those expense. I consider such services to be a basic set of needs that must be satisfied so I don't have to worry about going into every building wondering if the whole thing is going to fall down on my head because there aren't any standards.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing

  2. #1082
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    42,373
    Have thought of the "you ****s are ****ed" argument a few times. Think everyone has. Discretion the better part of valor in that regard.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"
    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

    "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

    #408. Sixty three not out forever.

  3. #1083
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Swimming in the cry water of Antarctica
    Posts
    29,345
    Wasn't Ikki a lefty a month ago?

    What are you going to be next month mate?
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

  4. #1084
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    33,563
    whatchoo talking about, these private regulation agencies never make mistakes

    The FDA cited "serious design flaws" and a "lack of awareness" of safety standards at Jensen Farms as the likely sources of the bacterial contamination behind the deaths. But in a report issued this week, congressional investigators found the company that conducted a July safety audit at the farm, Bio Food Safety, gave it near-perfect marks despite finding three "major deficiencies."
    they're not at all susceptible to market manipulation from companies wanting to cut costs in certain areas by not meeting all safety standards and hence gravitating towards the ones that are more likely to turn a blind eye to slightly less obvious and harder-to-trace issues, no. because of course the average consumer can immediately backtrace the food poisoning that's killing their family member back to some random processing factory halfway across the country, ofc, can pick the exact time, place, meal and spoonful which was contaminated.
    Last edited by Spark; 22-04-2012 at 07:15 AM.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +


    forever 63*


  5. #1085
    International Coach Ikki's Avatar
    Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Death Queen Island
    Posts
    12,812
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    The position that I want the government to regulate certain things does not imply I want the government to regulate everything. It's how you are fending off charges of being an anarchist.
    No, it's not exactly the same. As a Libertarian I believe in the role of the courts and enforcement of those rules and statutory laws including the constitution. So police and defence are intrinsically linked to that.

    For me, that line is much more defined. Whether people who have risk factors almost guaranteeing their children become criminals are concerned, they are an even bigger expense and worry to society. It is not just a matter of being sick.

    Maybe certain people can't afford all those expense. I consider such services to be a basic set of needs that must be satisfied so I don't have to worry about going into every building wondering if the whole thing is going to fall down on my head because there aren't any standards.
    Afford what? Looking at guides and agencies involved with the quality of food? You can do that for free, really. And even if there was a cost and they couldn't afford it...how could they afford to eat out then? It seems an unintelligible hypothetical. With all that said, I am yet to hear you justify why someone else should subsidise your lifestyle. In the end someone has to pay. The government is not some separate entity, the costs are still there. And, as I've argued in this thread before, it is a poor mechanism for keeping costs down and can be shown in a myriad of ways and examples.

    Again, I point you to that article I linked at the end of one of my longer replies. It addresses the goods/services and risk factors involved. Read the first handful of pages if nothing else.


    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Wasn't Ikki a lefty a month ago?

    What are you going to be next month mate?
    Haha, no, I haven't been a 'lefty' since around 06-07.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    whatchoo talking about, these private regulation agencies never make mistakes
    Strawman. The argument is not: private regulation services don't make mistakes or even less than the FDA. The argument is no one can. And in doing so they can also cause harm - FDA is notorious for holding back on measures that have been proven to work elsewhere while people die so that they can cover their asses politically to a greater extent than is necessary. As well as being in cahoots with big Pharma. We've done that argument though...where you ended up saying that people were more concerned with how a drug was advertised than how it would ultimately work.
    Last edited by Ikki; 22-04-2012 at 07:22 AM.
    ★★★★★

  6. #1086
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    33,563
    excuse me, i need to print out my latest 1000 page guide to the food safety standards to every restaurant in south east australia to carry around with me, knowing that i don't own an ipad or have global internet access on my phone and i would like to continue to partake in the commonplace practice of being to be able to eat where i want, when i want, on a whim and assume that i'm not going to place a death sentence on myself by doing so

  7. #1087
    International Coach Ikki's Avatar
    Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Death Queen Island
    Posts
    12,812
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    excuse me, i need to print out my latest 1000 page guide to the food safety standards to every restaurant in south east australia to carry around with me, knowing that i don't own an ipad or have global internet access on my phone and i would like to continue to partake in the commonplace practice of being to be able to eat where i want, when i want, on a whim and assume that i'm not going to place a death sentence on myself by doing so
    Strawman. You don't do that now, nor would you do that in the future. As a consumer you don't care if the joint you're in has extra bathrooms for it's employees or that it empties it's grease traps every 2 months instead of every 3 months. You just wanna know it's a good place to eat. Pretty simple to get that information and it doesn't require knowing the H&S standards.

    Moreover, you can't do the above even with regulatory agencies. Places aren't inspected months at a time (at best) and they're reopened usually a few days after they're shut down for cleaning.
    Last edited by Ikki; 22-04-2012 at 07:23 AM.

  8. #1088
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    33,563
    so you didn't actually read my posts on the issue?

    cool.

    i'm out. i have a brick wall i'd rather talk to.

  9. #1089
    International Coach Ikki's Avatar
    Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Death Queen Island
    Posts
    12,812
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    they're not at all susceptible to market manipulation from companies wanting to cut costs in certain areas by not meeting all safety standards and hence gravitating towards the ones that are more likely to turn a blind eye to slightly less obvious and harder-to-trace issues, no. because of course the average consumer can immediately backtrace the food poisoning that's killing their family member back to some random processing factory halfway across the country, ofc, can pick the exact time, place, meal and spoonful which was contaminated.
    You added the above.

    If they are susceptible then they will lose their repute as an agency. That's why the competition for several of them will be good. Their incentive to stay alive and remain trustable acts as a safeguard for collusion. Whereas the FDA is the sole regulator, it is rife with risk and it happens repeatedly - again, just look at big pharma.

    No one can backtrack illnesses, FDA or otherwise. Strawman.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    so you didn't actually read my posts on the issue?

    cool.

    i'm out. i have a brick wall i'd rather talk to.
    As far as I know I've addressed all your points. If I haven't state it and show where I avoided it, if I did.
    Last edited by Ikki; 22-04-2012 at 07:34 AM.

  10. #1090
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    33,563
    except the fda and equivalent can and do on a regular basis. that's how we KNOW where salmonella outbreaks come from in the first place. ffs. they don't just ****ing throw darts at a wall and see where it lands.

    the reason the ^^^ won't happen is because the food producers have all the power. if they don't like a certain agency they will deny them access to the premises, and go with one more amenable to them. simple as that.

    and no one will be able to tell the difference.

  11. #1091
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    33,563
    once again.

    real ****ing world.

  12. #1092
    International Coach Ikki's Avatar
    Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Death Queen Island
    Posts
    12,812
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    except the fda and equivalent can and do on a regular basis. that's how we KNOW where salmonella outbreaks come from in the first place. ffs. they don't just ****ing throw darts at a wall and see where it lands.
    Um, what?

    the reason the ^^^ won't happen is because the food producers have all the power. if they don't like a certain agency they will deny them access to the premises, and go with one more amenable to them. simple as that.

    and no one will be able to tell the difference.
    No, they will. Because the consumers demand it. That's where individual freedom meets individual responsibility. We must only buy products that are accepted as safe by private agencies. Then they will open their doors willingly. People already show preferences towards seals like the Heart Foundation and food businesses seek out their tick of approval - i.e. the real world.

    http://www.heartfoundation.org.au/he...s/default.aspx
    http://www.heartfoundation.org.au/Si...pping_List.pdf
    Last edited by Ikki; 22-04-2012 at 07:38 AM.

  13. #1093
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Posts
    32,700
    Regulatory capture, anyone?

  14. #1094
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    33,563
    this is truly depressing.

    i actually agree with american libertarians on many issues. i agree that government spending in certain areas - in particular healthcare and defence and their broken excuse of a social security system - is profilgate and needs to be fixed. i agree that the beauracracy is woefully inefficient and needs to be devolved to the states in the usa in large degree so a form of competitive federalism can take place (but it has to be coupled with a massive relaxation on immigration policy imo). i agree that because america is such a collossally large country by first-world standards it needs to be treated in a much smaller-government mindset to reduce inefficiencies.

    but what you have done thus far is pick THE LAST TWO (well, ok, maybe not quite the last two, i would put airline safety standards last) industries i would ever, ever choose to totally deregulate. because the consequences of standard market forces is more dead people. and that is utterly unacceptable to me on any moral basis whatsoever.

    sigh.

  15. #1095
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Swimming in the cry water of Antarctica
    Posts
    29,345
    I've just noticed Spark has 21,000 posts in two years.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The British Politics Thread
    By cover drive man in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 4290
    Last Post: 15-12-2014, 02:32 AM
  2. Media
    By SirBloody Idiot in forum Cricket Web Tennis
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 06-08-2011, 07:10 AM
  3. FAQ & Introduction Thread
    By Samuel_Vimes in forum Cricket Web Tennis
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 20-06-2011, 12:06 PM
  4. Finally ! A Last Word Thread
    By SJS in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-01-2010, 08:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •