Cricket Player Manager
Page 215 of 238 FirstFirst ... 115165205213214215216217225 ... LastLast
Results 3,211 to 3,225 of 3556
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: The American Politics thread

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Agree in principle but what incentive could they have for actually picking a side? The public is so divided on whether Snowden's a hero or traitor, why fan the flames of something which could bite them on the arse/be used later? That and traditionally there's been a tension sitting government and their intel services, so easy to throw them under a bus if an attack happens but need to be almost fearful of them in times of peace. If it's anything like here, I'm guessing Obama wants to keep his distance and avoid pissing them off.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    The Obama administration is so annoying on this NSA issue. Pick a side to be on - to say that you 'want a debate' is such a disingenous thing to say because 1) there wouldn't be a debate without the leak you oppose, and 2) how can you possibly debate if the government has gone too far if you don't know how far the government has gone?
    Well it's not contradictory to say you'd like the leak to lead to a debate even if you think the leak overall was a bad thing. The second point is sort of true, but it also reflects the state of public opinion. When you tell people that:

-You need surveilance powers over them for their own protection against terrorism
    -For their own safety they can't even know what those powers are,

they'll sometimes accept it, and post 9/11 a lot of Americans did. This stifles future debate, of course. And that's what Obama is saying he'd like to address.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    What incentive? I don't know - because he ran on civil liberties before? I'm not saying it's surprising, but I'm not particularly excited to go vote democrat in the next elections now.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Well it's not contradictory to say you'd like the leak to lead to a debate even if you think the leak overall was a bad thing. The second point is sort of true, but it also reflects the state of public opinion. When you tell people that:

-You need surveilance powers over them for their own protection against terrorism
    -For their own safety they can't even know what those powers are,

they'll sometimes accept it, and post 9/11 a lot of Americans did. This stifles future debate, of course, which is what Obama is saying he'd like to address.
    I dare him to come out and make that argument. I'd respect the hell out of him. And then I'd support impeaching him.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    What incentive? I don't know - because he ran on civil liberties before? I'm not saying it's surprising, but I'm not particularly excited to go vote democrat in the next elections now.
    So don't vote for the ****s.

I probably won't in 2014. I might change my registration to democrat and vote for the pro-civil liberties candidate in the primary and then I'll have to decide for the actual election. I believe you should absolutely always vote in elections, so I'll have to make a choice of who to vote for then. If both candidates are anti civil liberties, I'll vote Republican out of spite. I hate voting third parties and very often there are only two choices for midterm elections anyway.

And I guess my donations to campaigns will have to stop and go instead to ACLU and other organizations.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 10-08-2013 at 06:44 AM.

Obama Proposes FISA Reforms Amid Growing Concerns Over NSA Surveillance

It's sort of a start. The judges should not be appointed by the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court - they should be appointed by Congress. All opinions that relate to the actual power of government agencies should be made public, with redactions only when it deals with specific techniques or cases. Obviously all of this should be open to appeal to the Supreme Court by any concerned citizen.

Or FFS, just don't reauthorize the patriot act.

Oh, and while you're at it, get rid of Homeland Security, NSA and the DEA. There's your three departments Rick Perry.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    maybe you should vote for someone who supports reforming your abysmal political system
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Nah. It doesn't really need major reforms.

Nah. It doesn't really need major reforms.
    Do you really think not?

Need some of course, but nothing really fundamental. As much as I disagree with the outcomes sometimes, - it represents the will of the people relatively well most of the time.

What other political systems do you think it compares well to?

Well I prefer it to most of the European democracies. There are aspects of those that I'd like to incorporate of course, but overall if I couldn't pick and choose individual parts and had to import a whole system without any changes, I'd probably still pick the US system.

For example: having a written constitution is something I would never ever want to give up. Nor would I give up having something like a Supreme Court rather than a congress or parliament be the final 'keeper' of that constitution. I also like the staggered elections we have every two years - allows for both continuity while still allowing for fast shifts in public opinion to be reflected in our legislature. I'd change some things like how districts are drawn, I'd repeal the 17th amendment, but get rid of the filibuster rules. I'd make the presidency a direct election. And of course many other things. But if you're asking on balance....I still prefer this system, as chaotic and tumultuous as it may be sometimes.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 11-08-2013 at 11:16 AM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Well I prefer it to most of the European democracies.

For example: having a written constitution is something I would never ever want to give up.
    A feature of every European democracy save the UK, I think.
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    i think he means bill of rights

Thread Information