Page 196 of 228 FirstFirst ... 96146186194195196197198206 ... LastLast
Results 2,926 to 2,940 of 3408
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: The American Politics thread

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Listened to the audio recording...ITSTL. They were looking for a way to get out of making a decision....

Summary:
    What will the Court do with Proposition 8? Today’s oral argument in Plain English : SCOTUSblog

Tomorrow's will be interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    sometimes you just want a day off
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Scotusblog: Arguments done. #scotus won’t uphold or strike down #prop8 bc Kennedy thinks it is too soon to rule on #ssm. #prop8 will stay invalidated.

Weird. I know it's not legally the same, but functionally they are making SSM legal in california by not ruling on it - that's a big deal. I thought they'd set some sort of legal precedent instead of leaving it in limbo...

I mean they could have just chosen not to hear the case if they wanted to go down that route...

This is very irresponsible by the scotusblog tbf - passing of as fact what is clearly an opinion...
    My understanding is that some of the justices - Justice Kennedy in particular - were wondering exactly that.

I guess the difference is that not ruling anything legalises SSM in Cali. Ruling Prop 8 unconstitutional might legalise it everywhere by implying that state restrictions on the rights of gay people to marry are unconstitutional full stop. EDIT: reason.com makes the same conclusion.

I can sort of understand why they wouldn't want to go that far yet, it sort of goes counter to how the American system is meant to work.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    My understanding is that some of the justices - Justice Kennedy in particular - were wondering exactly that.

I guess the difference is that not ruling anything legalises SSM in Cali. Ruling Prop 8 unconstitutional might legalise it everywhere by implying that state restrictions on the rights of gay people to marry are unconstitutional full stop. EDIT: reason.com makes the same conclusion.

I can sort of understand why they wouldn't want to go that far yet, it sort of goes counter to how the American system is meant to work.
    But it may not make SSM legal. If the ruling is that these particular parties have no standing, then the opponents will find someone who does - eg a government worker who morally objects to officiating a SSM. I think it's likely in that case that a court might grant an injunction, in which case it would be illegal until it works its way to the Supreme Court in a couple years. Maybe they're hoping California might legalize it by ballot by then The latest poll gives the marriage equality side a 2-1 lead in the polls now...

International Debutant ganeshran's Avatar
    Ann Coulter is back to supporting Chris Christie. IMO, he is one of few pragmatic voices in the republican leadership filled with characters like Santorum, Perry, Bachmann

Ann Coulter loves Chris Christie… again | TheBlaze.com

“If we had not blown ten Senate elections, that were clearly winnable in the last three election cycles, the Senate would now be divided 56 Republicans, 44 Democrats,” Coulter said on Monday’s broadcast of “Hannity.”
    “I think we should avoid, abjure ‘primarying’ incumbents in our own party, because that accounts for — or the equivalent of an incumbent — at least two of the losses of my ten,” Coulter added.
    Coulter also said that ‘primarying’ should only be practiced in “extremely red states” where the Republican primary is essentially the general election.
    The conservative firebrand also surprisingly defended and seemingly backed New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie for president after she told CPAC he is “off my list” only ten days ago.
    “I’m warming to him again,” Coulter said of Christie. “I’m waiting for him to switch on amnesty, and I have confidence in his high I.Q.”
    Get well soon Yuvi!!

I don't see how he gets out of the primary.

I don't see how he gets out of the primary.
    2016 is a long way away. He could drum up support by then. He earned a lot of brownie points for his handling of the crisis during hurricane Sandy as well.

Seems to be one of the few characters in the republican party who can put partisan bickering behind.

Quote Originally Posted by ganeshran View Post
    2016 is a long way away. He could drum up support by then. He earned a lot of brownie points for his handling of the crisis during hurricane Sandy as well.

Seems to be one of the few characters in the republican party who can put partisan bickering behind.
    No, he lost a LOT of brownie points in his handling of Hurricane Sandy. That's why he was not invited to the CPAC.

Remember we are talking about the Republican primaries here, not the general election.

No, he lost a LOT of brownie points in his handling of Hurricane Sandy. That's why he was not invited to the CPAC.

Remember we are talking about the Republican primaries here, not the general election.
    You are right that his bipartisan handling of Sandy endeared him to a lot of democrats and angered conservatives. It was also probably the last nail in the coffin for the Romney campaign which was lagging in many of the swing states and losing the momentum gained after the first debate

But I am banking on the hope that the composition of the republican party leadership might change once they realize a lot of positions they are taking make them unelectable even to the voters on the fence. Over the years the center has gradually moved to the left while republicans have not changed their core positions at all.

Actually if you look at the policies from Nixon until now, you will in fact see that the Republican party has moved steadily to the right while the center has not changed. If you look at some of things signed by Nixon and Reagan - they are way to the left of the current mainstream of the Republican party. Secondly, the leadership has generally supported a candidate that wasn't too far to the right compared to his running mate, but the republican base often does not see eye to eye with the leadership and forces the candidates to go further and further to the right.

"Hee-Haw": Jim Carrey Mocks Gun Lovers & Charlton Heston In Spoof - The Daily Beast

Fox News is literally just losing its **** over this. They weren't this fired up even during the 'Obama is a muslim' or Benghazi coverage...

SS, what do you know/what do you think of Cory Booker?

I like him. He's very popular in democratic circles - he should easily win the senate seat next year and most people think it's a prelude to a Presidential run. He's got a bit of an aura about him - running into burning buildings and such. Plus, he gives great speeches.

I first heard about him way before he was popular, when he first ran for the mayor of Newark. There is a documentary called 'Street Fight' - and it's an amazing movie about how dirty local politics can get. You can watch it here.

Yeah already seen it.

The reason I ask is my mate (the one who introduced me to the doco last year) and I have a bet as to when he will run for President. My mate reckons 2016 whereas I think no way that'll happen.

I like him though. Street Fight was an awesome documentary.

Nah, I highly doubt 2016....

Thread Information