Cricket Player Manager
Page 193 of 238 FirstFirst ... 93143183191192193194195203 ... LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,895 of 3556
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: The American Politics thread

Good on Rand Paul for filibustering (properly!) the Brennan nom over drones.

Amusing/depressing to see some left-wing groupthink numpties fall in line behind the Obama admin just because it's Rand Paul, though.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Overall he's a nut just like his dad, but God do I love him right now. Shameful that only one Democrat joined him.

Edit: Filibuster over! Paul gives up after fighting the good fight. 12 hours 52 minutes. Let the drone strikes commence!!
    Last edited by Fusion; 06-03-2013 at 11:42 PM.

Hahaha damn calls of nature

He accomplished what he set out to do - bring attention to the blatantly unconstitutional (and morally reprehensible) drone strikes issue. I hope this encourages the progressives to speak up and take a stand against the Obama administration's policy. Not likely, I know, but considering how much support Paul received from across the political spectrum, perhaps there's a chance.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Drones, war, and civilian casualties: How unmanned aircraft reduce collateral damage. - Slate Magazine

I'm not endorsing this opinion, but a lot of what he says is very interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Going to make a guess before clicking on the link and say Will Saletan has written the article.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Damn I'm good. He's always the 'defend the indefensible' guy. Generally get the impression he has no serious expertise in an area he's analysing other than unbelievable Google-Fu. His articles are always well-researched and referenced whilst pretty much missing or ignoring completely the real reasons why that thing he's defending are pissing people off.

It's not only the body count, Wil.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 07-03-2013 at 05:54 AM.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    i've not put much thought in this, but surely government officials killing people before a court trial is pretty constitutional. i mean, cops, hired by the government, kill people who are risks to other people all the time. surely killing an admitted terrorist, through a drone, who belongs to an organization with a history of killing people (and has basically declared war on the US) isn't that much of a leap? am i missing something? the core to me is, yes, drones could be used on an US citizen who is an imminent risk to the lives of others. be it terrorist or dude on a killing spree. obviously there needs to be greater clarity, not least the imminent risk part, but yeah, it strikes me as fairly constitutional.

then again i've never read the silly old dumb document
    Last edited by Spikey; 07-03-2013 at 05:55 AM.
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

hey guys i've got a statement i wanna make

I will speak as long as it takes, until the alarm is sounded from coast to coast that our Constitution is important, that your rights to trial by jury are precious, that no American should be killed by a cop on American soil without first being charged with a crime, without first being found to be guilty by a court.

tl;dr

drones suck. seems pretty constitutional. someone oughta make a law about them

Repeatedly, Mr. Paul explained that his true goal was simply to get a response from the administration saying it would not use drone strikes to take out American citizens on United States soil.
    i guess i have a problem with this mainly because i can picture a crisis where perhaps sending in the flying kill robot over human beings has a use (the fact flying killing robots don't have families is an advantage....)
    Last edited by Spikey; 07-03-2013 at 06:06 AM.

i'm going on a 14 hour posting marathon

So you'd have supported a drone killing Chris Dorner?

Anyway, a big problem with using drones is scope-creep. When it's people you're sending in to track someone doing bad ****, the barrier to making the determination to use that big a stick is obviously very high. With drones, people are (rightly) worried said barrier will be lowered. Anyone for signature high-speed chase strikes? Who not? Someone doing that just has a death-wish anyway. Well, you assume so...
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 07-03-2013 at 06:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    So you'd have supported a drone killing Chris Dorner?
    The prospect of using Drone technology to assist on some police operations on US soil doesn't particularly outrage me non seems outrageous, and certainly the government pledging to never use them on US soil seems stupid to me. Obviously you need to define that purpose, and all that sort of stuff in which the administration has been lousy at. i just don't agree with two of his Paul's big statements, which i'm seeing repeated all over the place

Thread Information