Page 191 of 228 FirstFirst ... 91141181189190191192193201 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,865 of 3408
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: The American Politics thread

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    oh sh -

Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    One of the first refs you quoted specifically states a voluntary international system and the second one is 60+ years old. ****, eugenics and phrenology papers were still getting accepted back then.
    What does that have to do with anything? As I said, I'm busy; I can't find articles then read them all for you too.

haha, no. That's not how it works. There's plenty of evidence against what he said. For example, the US is not a subsidiary of The UN (inc) or a dictatorship by any reasonable standards, it's still a sovereign nation and last I checked, there were no blue-hatted soldiers marching on Washington forcing Obama to give up the presidency. The burden of proof is on Paul to show where things are going. He has his reasons, does he? Why isn't he providing them in an explicit, open manner?
    I'm not sure what you're looking for. The burden on him is to do what?

He is saying the UN makes America less sovereign. It does. Even many of those that tend to argue that America's sovereignty is not in danger contend that it is for a good reason - or even to protect its sovereignty. But as I said; it is a definitive act. If a member says it will refrain from doing X, with all the other members, based on some loophole it finds in its constitution...that is losing sovereignty.

Its about as controversial as free market proponents arguing that the continuance of regulations, or expansions of bureaucracy, undermine freedom. Which is, not much. You can disagree with the position, but lets not pretend he pulled it from his arse.

As for the attention this is getting, please. This has blown up the last couple of days and will go away fairly quickly. Obama's been getting hammered by foreign and US-based newspapers, op-eds and on TV about his drone program, guns, not closing Guantanamo and his war on whistle blowers for the past year at least (and rightly bloody so). The pressure doesn't bear comparison.
    No, I don't think it will - well, not for Paul. Because stupid things like these will always be brought up for Paul because his opposition are desperate to look for any perceived flaw. Honestly, the ironic thing about the above wrongs for Obama is that the people more up in arms about it are from his party and uniformly vote for him. And heck, if they had an election next year they'd still vote for him...what pressure? If he had pressure it was in his first term, and look how great that went.
    Last edited by Ikki; 13-02-2013 at 02:11 AM.
    I think there'll sooner be another Bradman than another Warne. - Gidgeon Haigh

[Warne is] the greatest bowler ever produced in this entire world - Muttiah Muralidaran

[Warne is] the greatest bowler of all time - Glenn McGrath

In my opinion Shane Warne is the greatest cricketer who's ever lived - Ian Botham

Warne is the greatest cricketer to pick up a ball ever.
    And is the greatest bowler I have ever laid eyes on. - Brian Lara

Look, Ikki, I think the fundamental mistake you are making is assuming that anyone outside the political class, his own ideological subset or certain other ideological groups give a **** about Ron Paul or even know what his positions are.

They don't. He is small, small fry.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Look, Ikki, I think the fundamental mistake you are making is assuming that anyone outside the political class, his own ideological subset or certain other ideological groups give a **** about Ron Paul or even know what his positions are.

They don't. He is small, small fry.
    Acting like you don't have your own Ron Paul mug.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    The state of the union was a bit meh...
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    The state of the union is a bit meh.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

The reports of our deaths are greatly exaggerated. In 20 years, we will have a population younger than China. I think our future looks fine, overall.

Nah you're ****ed.

Actually Australia one of the few countries with a definite rosy future.

Nah, and OT: I think almost everyone's going to be better off in the future than now.

Locally, considering the relative situations of everyone else, the US is ahead or at least not far behind, other people in terms of long term economic outlook. Demographics is destiny. Europe is way too anti-immigrant - and it's going to hurt them long term. Certain Scandinavia countries, and probably Germany, are probably going to continue to do quite well though. I think there will certainly be more parity in the world - China, India, Brazil and other economies (china should become the largest economy in the world before 2020 for sure), but they all have really massive problems - from crime to infrastructure to corruption. But this is all RELATIVE - everyone will likely be doing better overall - the declines will be relative to other people growth.

Economics is not a zero sum game. The British no longer have an empire, but a larger percentage of their people are way better off economically now than they ever were during the height of the empire.

I think generally, I'm pretty optimistic about the world in general. We only see the bad things but violence overall is as low as it has EVER been in the history of the world - a HUGE percentage of people used to die in some kind of conflict not too long ago.

Anyway, I highly recommend this: The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined: Steven Pinker: 9780143122012: Amazon.com: Books

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post

Nah, and OT: I think almost everyone's going to be better off in the future than now.

Locally, considering the relative situations of everyone else, the US is ahead or at least not far behind, other people in terms of long term economic outlook. Demographics is destiny. Europe is way too anti-immigrant - and it's going to hurt them long term. Certain Scandinavia countries, and probably Germany, are probably going to continue to do quite well though. I think there will certainly be more parity in the world - China, India, Brazil and other economies (china should become the largest economy in the world before 2020 for sure), but they all have really massive problems - from crime to infrastructure to corruption. But this is all RELATIVE - everyone will likely be doing better overall - the declines will be relative to other people growth.

Economics is not a zero sum game. The British no longer have an empire, but a larger percentage of their people are way better off economically now than they ever were during the height of the empire.

I think generally, I'm pretty optimistic about the world in general. We only see the bad things but violence overall is as low as it has EVER been in the history of the world - a HUGE percentage of people used to die in some kind of conflict not too long ago.

Anyway, I highly recommend this: The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined: Steven Pinker: 9780143122012: Amazon.com: Books
    Read it, **** it was a slog beyond the first 1/3. Bit more editing and it would have been a classic. I know it was meant for wide consumption but explaining relative rates without using the words and theory behind them made it so verbose sometimes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/13/us...anted=all&_r=0

Minimum wage to $9. Let's see how that turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/13/us...anted=all&_r=0

Minimum wage to $9. Let's see how that turns out.

Rubio not a fan of that.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    The reports of our deaths are greatly exaggerated. In 20 years, we will have a population younger than China. I think our future looks fine, overall.
    you'll def have more school children killed over the next 20 years than china tho

Just curious: do you happen to see a lot of Americans emigrating? I've never encountered more Americans than in the past few years in Australia. It seems like they're coming for work.

Thread Information